Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Literature, for me. Being taught how to glean information from a book, which usually was just the teacher saying here's what you SHOULD get out of it and if you didn't you're WRONG and don't understand anything. Didn't serve a purpose for me aside from being exposed to a bunch of books I didn't give a shit about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    RE Religion is such a personal choice as to whether or not you believe in it (personally I don't) that I feel this subject should be entirely optional. I would say that maybe a few one-off classes just to instil a little tolerance and understanding of people who are religious is a good idea, but beyond that, complete waste of time.
    We had Divinity not RE and yeah it was kinda optional in that you didn't have to do it if your religion forbade it, you could sit in an empty room by yourself doing homework or twiddling thumbs. Later in school we had options to exclude it from the timetable altogether and take something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Any math past base Algebra 1 is useless in 99% of life applications. History more than base history is useless. English/writing beyond simple structure of how to write a paper (papers are also useless) is unnecessary.

Basically everything in high school is useless beyond high school which is why they need to stop pushing the "career paths" into college and explain that trade skills will net you more money than most things pre-doctorate degrees, and even then you'll still end up making more money than the majority of careers that require a phd.
    I would have say literature, bad poetry and terrible stories didn't help me in life.

Music...just by judging today's standards...it's obviously a waste of time better spent on history lessons...that no one seems to be hell-bent on learning so they can enjoy participating in society's endeavor in repeating the same shitty mistakes over and over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geometry Proofs

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure.

Religious studies. Luckily for us, it was about the history of religion, and not some attempt at indoctrination. Not a fan either way, but it's culture, and I think there is some merit to studying them.

Swedish language (Mandatory). Nobody liked it. English was fine for most, but not Swedish. But, we are a bilingual country, with Swedish being the other language, which is very common in some areas of Finland. Just not where I live, though.

Those are the worst offenders for me. Swedish only because it being mandatory.

And next one that I think is very underrated:

Home Economics. From my understanding, not many countries have that anymore. I feel it's a shame, as I have found it to be exceedingly useful in school to learn how to make food. It's fun, too.
    Last edited by Santti; 2018-09-04 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Calculus & Physics.

Without going into the classes that were useless because of the teachers, these were the ones I thought would be useful at the time, but haven't once applied to actual life.

I found English & Foreign Languages to be very useful.

I agree Home Economics is hugely underrated, I think I only had maybe one or two semesters in my entire public schooling of it... and it didn't even cover "Economics" which would make a world of difference preparing students for credit, loans, applying for jobs, etc.

We also tried to get Philosophy as an elective at the time, but the teacher wasn't able to because of the "No Religion in schools" issue. Which is a weird restriction, because you'd think a semester covering a brief history of every major religion on the world would be a heckuva lot more applicable in today's society than covering the revolutionary war for the 8th year in a row.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Crica View Post
    All of them, for me. They didn't help me learn what I need to know.
    yes.........

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me it was introducing to computer science, doing HTML programming and learning the history of c++. Shit that coulda been done at home in half the time the way the teacher taught.
    P.E in my high school was awesome, every two weeks we would switch to another different sport that included,
    Golfing, skiing, touch football, tenis, archery , soccer, pool, and afew others I forget.
    We also had one day of week in the classroom that discussed healthy excerises and eating.

Fixed that for you.
    In most countries in Europe, foreign languages are taught in kindergarten/first grade and people take up another foreign language sometime around 5th grade. Also, simply learning the language isn't necessarily the aim of the studying foreign languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reecejackox View Post
    In your opinion

I would say Science , some people really enjoy it at school but I don't in the slightest.
    General Classes are important. Math, Science, History, Writing/Reading (English Class). Out of 20 kids in a classroom, 19 of them may hate math, but there may be 1 who wants to use Math in their future career.

So my answer is, none of the core classes are overrated. They are all equally important.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro420 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    In most countries in Europe, foreign languages are taught in kindergarten/first grade and people take up another foreign language sometime around 5th grade. Also, simply learning the language isn't necessarily the aim of the studying foreign languages.
    Europeans also have more incentive to learn foreign languages than Americans do.

I think the big problem with advanced Math, such as Calculus, is that it isn't taught how it can be applied in everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Engrish, having to learn punctuation every fucking year is sooooo god damn annoying.
    Believe me, so is reading bad (or nonexistent) punctuation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trust Trader Mittens View Post
    History. That class for cucks and I regret taking it as an IB course. Should've picked business and maybe I would've made better choices.
    I'm quietly glad history did not come up until the fifth page. I believe it is not taken seriously enough. After all, it is only a study of how con men capture nations...

10+ Year Old Account
    Learning Cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    It's not ancient though... it's newer than "Bokmål". I don't think it should be mandatory though.
    Yes, bokmål was a thing before nynorsk, but people actually speak an approximation of Bokmål. NOBODY speaks nynorsk, and while Bokmål actually develops and changes with how people talk, nynorsk was pretty much set in stone 150 years ago..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    To me that's all the more reason it should be taught and preserved.

There are a handful of languages in the world that are about to become literally unknown, because nobody can speak or read them anymore. They're frantically having the remaining few speakers try to translate and audio record everything they know.
    That's the thing thou, ny norsk / new norwegian / ancient norwegian isn't actually a spoken language..
    there was this way too intense poet 150-200 years ago who went around the countryside and made up an abomination of a written language based on more than a hundred completely different spoken dialects.
    The result was a written language that with a bunch of inconsistent grammar rules that nobody actually spoke.
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    Yes, bokmål was a thing before nynorsk, but people actually speak an approximation of Bokmål. NOBODY speaks nynorsk, and while Bokmål actually develops and changes with how people talk, nynorsk was pretty much set in stone 150 years ago..

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thing thou, ny norsk / new norwegian / ancient norwegian isn't actually a spoken language..
    there was this way too intense poet 150-200 years ago who went around the countryside and made up an abomination of a written language based on more than a hundred completely different spoken dialects.
    The result was a written language that with a bunch of inconsistent grammar rules that nobody actually spoke.
    You’re completely true, as a teacher myself I would much rather have one written language in norway and then have a free option to learn any other language apart from English.
    Imagine if we could teach kids French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Sami, New Norwegian or maybe even sign language! (or whatever the schools have available)

Those options would be way more useful than learning a language that less than a million oeople on the planet use.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!