WoW overheating GPU (94° C)

Hi all,

Whenever I play WoW and Happy Glass Mod, my GPU heats up to 94° C after about 30 minutes of play. My idle GPU temperature is 30-35°. I play wow at everything Ultra with a resolution of 2560x1440. My FPS ranges between 70 (in cities) and 150 (in the open world)

Is there anyway for me to reduce the overheating issues barring the obvious reducing my resolution to 1080p? Should I cap FPS, or should I adjust any other settings such as enabling V-sync or anything with Anti-aliasing?

Thanks

Specs
    GPU: Asus Strix r9 390
    CPU: i5 6600
    Monitor: Acer XG270hu (144hz 1440p V-sync)
    Last edited by skr1107; 2018-09-21 at 06:23 AM.
    modded games and Spotify Premium App latest version for Android

Warm winters powered by AMD.
    /shitpost

was it always like dat m8 if not wot ave u recently done 2 ur pc dat started da change bruv
    chek da coolers aye u cheeky cunt see if theyr not clogged wiv dus bunnies or such shit give dem a thoro blow job jus get dat bad boy all cleaned up

perhaps u went nuts wiv oc on da gpu swear on me mum
    Last edited by mauserr; 2018-09-23 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Run MSI-Afterburner and check fan speeds for your GPU.

Is your room and/or case excessively hot ?

Is anything blowing hot air into it ?

Check the 390's fans and heatpipe for dust build-up. Might need to change thermal paste as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Ragnarsson View Post
    thorough blow job, just get that bad boy all cleaned up

10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Run MSI-Afterburner and check fan speeds for your GPU.

Is your room and/or case excessively hot ?

Is anything blowing hot air into it ?

Check the 390's fans and heatpipe for dust build-up. Might need to change thermal paste as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit, whaddya know, maybe it's just

Quote Originally Posted by skr1107 View Post
    Hi all,
    Whenever I play WoW, my GPU heats up to 94° C after about 30 minutes of play. My idle GPU temperature is 30-35°. I play wow at everything Ultra with a resolution of 2560x1440. My FPS ranges between 70 (in cities) and 150 (in the open world)
    Reducing the resolution helps putting less strain on the GPU but still isn't going to do wonders. Imho the obvious steps to take:
    - check for airflow (kinda unneeded but you're opening the pc anyway) or possibly dead fans, plus new harware you added recently that may restrict it
    - check gpu for dust/stuff clogging airflow
    - install MSI afterburner and use a more aggressive curve (doesn't mean fans at 100% all the time but even the default one helps)
    - last and shouldn't be needed; take out the heatsink and clean/replace paste with something non-conductive (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut), that may help is paste is really degraded (rare but may happen).

I did all the steps above as i had similar issues (though not that extreme temps) and managed to drop temps by about 6/7 degrees (GPU sitting at 65 under load). Though most of the benefits came from a different fan setup and MSI afterburner i think.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience with manufacturers thermal compounds have not been great. My RX 480 would sound like a leaf blower and run 75°C or higher while doing it. Then one day my radiator started to leak and some coolant got on the graphics card. Nothing happened but I did take it apart to clean off the coolant and changed the thermal paste for shits and giggles. Now the fans rarely turn on because the temp barely hits 50°C.

Always change your thermal paste for something high quality. The manufacturers put crap on their products. I'm using Coolmaster Mastergel Maker. Safe, non-conductive, and does an excellent job.

Everything mentioned above is great advice: dusting out your machine (especially the GPU), making sure your GPU fans are running, downloading a program like MSI afterburner and checking fan speeds, etc...

Aside from those things, what is the current fan setup in your case (i.e. intake vs exhaust)? Is airflow as optimal as possible? Assuming a "normal setup" (CPU air cooler, no water cooling) you should generally have "positive" air pressure (more intake than exhaust). This is usually accomplished by having intake fans on the front (and sometimes on the top, and rarely bottom) and smaller (or fewer) exhaust fans on the back (and sometimes back-top).

Replacing the thermal paste on your GPU is an option, but I wouldn't try it unless 1) you've exhausted all other options and 2) you're comfortable doing it. It is not particularly hard if you've got some experience doing that sort of thing, but still...