Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Upgrade (2018): 8.5/10
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    Upgrade - 8/10
    Saw Upgrade on desktop on second monitor (of three) while doing some stuff.

hellhamster was completely right, it's a really good B-tier movie. If you like scify then it's worth watching. (Don't continue reading this if you want to watch it: there are no direct spoilers, but...watch it first.)

The plot is slightly predictable, but the actual conclusion wasn't. Which was kind of cool.
    The movie has more gore than I've seen in a longgg time.
    The setting/world is kind of cool. It really reminds me of Bladerunner. (Except it doesn't spend 5 minutes each scene showing cameo shots of the background with loud music trying to amaze the audience of future technology. It's just a standard "alright we got 1.5 hours to show this plot" and it moves right along.)

There are some parts of the movie that I kind of find unbelievable, or maybe I've been fed so much mainstream media and only have my own perspective that I don't realize people like this exist in the world:

1. The main character has his wife killed in front of him, becomes so crippled that his mom has to shave his beard, but he hesitates to engage in a fight with the murderers? He rather let them continue to kill innocent people? And the cops are useless? This is either bad acting (for sure the actor is bad and awkward) or bad writing. Guaranteed that 9/10 men reading this post would absolutely fucking torture/murder those guys if they were in his situation. I can't think of any man in the world that would act like him.

1.5. Even the way the guy acts around the cop is stupid. He goes from "you useless fucking cop, FIND MY DEAD WIFE'S KILLERS, OR I'LL DO IT MYSELF FROM A WHEELCHAIR" to "errr lol do I look like I could be there?" awkward. Horrible writing or acting, again.

2. The rich genius prodigy company leading kid invents some chip, says he can literally build another one, and let's this one fucking chip get it's way? C'mon. That's ridiculous. Just unplug it or something. Or invent a way to kill it.

2.5. How the fuck does a genius think in a world with literal drone facial recognition technology, a quadripalegic is going to start walking and no one is going to notice it. ?????? Seriously?

I really like and recommend the movie (especially to the nerds on a WoW forum), but I can't overlook those plotholes (and not that original plot) to call it a superb movie. I'm gonna have to give it like a 2.25/10. And that's mostly becomes the pacing is good and it's an enjoyable story.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2018-09-05 at 04:13 PM.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Good things:
    -Everything looks pretty good, actors, costumes etc.
    -Included things like camouflage gear, spider tank, etc.
    -Replicated some key shots from the anime quite successfully.
    -Tried to recreate the futuristic city from the anime, in the sense that it's a 90s vision of the future, not at 2017 vision.

Bad things:
    -Story deviating from the anime too much. I guess they felt that the major wasn't human enough for the movie screen, so they gave her a lot of emotional issues and focused on her too much, not the world around her, or the point of the story. They turned it onto a VERY generic betrayal and revenge story with the exact opposite outcome than in the anime. Big mistake!
    -They should have taken their time, because this movie is too fast paced to be immersive. Blade Runner 2049 managed it, and so could this movie also have if they took their time with exploring the city and having meaningful conversations. Instead they have are just having a few seconds of pointless chit-chat before we follow the major to her next "depressed face for 5 minutes" scene or generic fight scene.
    -The music was not used effectively. Yes, there was something there, but it didn't make an impression. Maybe the OST is good by itself, but it sounded generic in the movie.
    -Only Major Kusanagi got a story, which more or less makes her comrades meaningless. They did however introduce a ruthless business-focused bad-guy, while in the anime, where this was much more elegantly handled in the anime where the opposition is more of a faceless government power trying to contain a project gone wrong.

The anime was about building up a sense of atmosphere of loneliness, existential questions, and explore the lives of these half-cyborg people that live in a pretty violent and grim future, where the individual is not worth much. It was mystical, and very remote from what our lives are about. This movie doesn't care about that at all. It just wants Scarlet Johansson to look almost naked, kick some ass, show her pretty face, throw some special effects in there, tell a story we've heard a million times before and make a neat little sci-fi flick that will sell based on its name. Now, I don't hate it. It's a mediocre action movie which is good enough for a plane ride.

5/10.
    Mother pus bucket!

Blueobelisk, I think you missed this point at the end of Upgrade.

2. The rich genius prodigy company leading kid invents some chip, says he can literally build another one, and let's this one fucking chip get it's way? C'mon. That's ridiculous. Just unplug it or something. Or invent a way to kill it.

The first chip built, the genius prodigy used on himself. The point was the AI in the chip built a better version of itself and created an elaborate plan to insert it in the main character. That's how I interpreted the ending at least.

I really enjoyed it as a B-Movie but it certainly does have it's flaws. I would give it a 5 or 6 as the good out weighs the bad.
    Last edited by Pattiecakes; 2018-09-06 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattiecakes View Post
    The first chip built, the genius prodigy used on himself. The point was the AI in the chip built a better version of itself and created an elaborate plan to insert it in the main character. That's how I interpreted the ending at least.
    Well you interpreted it incorrectly, sorry to say.

1. STEM wanted to find a human to inhabit. If he was in rich kid, he'd have no need to do that.
    2. There's no mention of an original chip that rich kid used on himself. You'll have to tell me a timestamp as reference to prove that.
    2. STEM, in the hospital, communicated to rich kid through an earpiece. Why would he do that if he was ingrained into rich kid?

What you said sounded like a nice idea, but that's just not the way it was.

-----

So what movie are we watching next? @hellhamster find us another good movie from 2018 that I can stream.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I hope that's a remake of some sort and not the rating of the original, otherwise I'd be mad.
    Remake with the guy from Sons of Anarchy and the Mr. Robot. The fact the original with McQueen and Dreyfuss exists works against the remake too. McQueen's version being far superior. But I didn't think it was relevant to the actual film as screened so I did not mention it.

Upgrade @ 1:29:30 The wealthy inventor reveals that he's been answering to STEM for a long time and doing whatever it wants. I assumed that he was being controlled similar to the main character. I was wrong. STEM wanted a human body without implants, a "pure" specimen. I guess that's the only reason that the main character was included at all. Not the best ending after all.

I thought the ending to "Upgrade" an ironic twist. In that it wasn't applying to the human.
    Although if you believe in transhumanist stuff then you probably wouldn't have thought well of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deadpool 2 - 7/10

Some good laughs, a few good fights, Domino was fun, but an overall average movie otherwise.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Pattiecakes View Post
    Upgrade @ 1:29:30 The wealthy inventor reveals that he's been answering to STEM for a long time and doing whatever it wants. I assumed that he was being controlled similar to the main character. I was wrong. STEM wanted a human body without implants, a "pure" specimen. I guess that's the only reason that the main character was included at all. Not the best ending after all.
    Sorry to tell you, but the rich kid had no body modifications. At least none that were explained. There was absolutely no reason for STEM to want the mechanic as his body (as far as I know).

And that, kids, is how your "omg so cool 8/10" movie gets cut in half. You just need to think about how stupid the plot/characters actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I thought the ending to "Upgrade" an ironic twist. In that it wasn't applying to the human.
    Although if you believe in transhumanist stuff then you probably wouldn't have thought well of it.
    Yeah, the genius AI robot with literally access to untraceable hitmen, a company with tons of $$, and a genius rich kid, "Upgraded" to a quadriplegic human body. A body that was weaker than the bad guy with body modifications (Fisk). Doesn't get better than that. /sarcasm

Btw, do you guys realize how autistic that whole thing is? Hey, you know those modified humans who are untracable from the cops and they're really strong because they survived military experiments? Let's go kill them. Btw, I'm gonna shut down mid-journey and we're gonna have to go to some shady asian guy/girl hacker, and you're gonna have to tell her this ridiculously long code, and she's gonna have to hack me to be autonomous. (Why didn't rich kid just do this when he first implanted the chip?) Oh also, you'll be losing your body functions during the chase.

Oh shit that actually worked? Well let's go kill these last couple of guys off. Wait, that one guy that I hired and analyzed happens to be ridiculously strong and your paralyzed body can't beat his heavily modified body? Lol you better say something or we're gonna die here
    . How the fuck does that plan even make sense?

Honestly, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for even giving the movie above a 5. The plot holes are ridiculous.

It seems you really missed the mark of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Honestly, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for even giving the movie above a 5. The plot holes are ridiculous.
    You never disappoint blue.

While the movie deserves credit for its action/setting/half decent acting on a limited budget, when you really start thinking about it. Its more over bloated and stuffy than it needed to be.

Btw are there are films you can consider over an 8/10? Not hating, I like you're difficult to please

A Quiet Place is best seen in a full cinema , I found it a bit ponderous and it didn't really grip me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You never disappoint blue.

While the movie deserves credit for its action/setting/half decent acting on a limited budget, when you really start thinking about it. Its more over bloated and stuffy than it needed to be.
    I don't mean to hate on the movie (although I'm pretty sure you argued that it sucked a few pages back). As a "watch this cool story with a futuristic technological setting and a bit of action/mystery", it's really enjoyable.

But then the acting in the movie/the way the characters act just isn't believable, for the reasons I explained, and it breaks immersion a bit for me.

The problem is the movie tries to be super scyfi and has a twist ending, but it really made no sense, for the reasons that I cited. I'm not even trying to pick it apart, it's just logically it makes no sense. You refilm like 3-5 scenes in the movie and say literally like 2-3 sentences differently at the end, and I'd bump this up to a 7 or 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Btw are there are films you can consider over an 8/10? Not hating, I like you're difficult to please
    Inception, Intersteller, Looper, come to mind. Black Panther. Captain America: Winter Soldier, too. I can't remember any more.

Here's the Blueobelisk criteria for good movie:
    1. Is the story somewhat original?
    2. Does the plot (the sequence of actions/scenes) make sense?
    3. Is the setting/theme new, or good enough for what the story is trying to show?
    4. Is the movie self-contained? (Does the story have a beginning, middle, and end? If someone 50 years from now watches just this movie, will they understand what's going on?
    5. Is the pacing/camera good enough? (I hate overly long shots on character's expressions, or kissing scenes, or overly long scenes.)
    6. Does the movie keep the viewer immersed? (This is where I'd roll my eyes at old graphics styles. Or where some people would criticize CGI.)
    7. Does the movie actually make sense? (Character motivations and choices.)

I'd say it's pretty fair to judge every movie by those standards. And even movies that I personally like don't do all of these well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ghost Stories (2017) - 3/10

I mainly watched the movie because Martin Freeman is in it. Acting is decent and the production value isn't bad. Other than that, the movie is utterly forgettable.

5+ Year Old Account
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 4/10

Some wonderful shots, but story follows the silliness of JW1. Really annoying characters this time around thrown in for comic relief that did not work (the villain included).

Imho, Chris Pratt cannot act even if his life depended on that.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

leonard part 6 and the room. the movies are brilliantly bad but i enjoyed them ) call me a masochist. 10/10
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Down a Dark Hall 2/10

It gets two points because the sets are beautiful and there are some good visual moments. It is so bad though that it actually made me chuckle a few times. It is very clear that someone very unintelligent was in charge of making this movie. The characters are lifeless, pointless and impossible to sympathize with. Many plot movements are completely random and make no sense. How they got Uma Thurman to act in it I have no idea. Especially the ending gave me the Tommy Wiseau vibes.

Truly a spectacularly bad movie. It's as if they made a horror movie for children. But even movies for children usually have something in there for adults to pick up on, this was just drivel.

BlackPanther 5/10 maybe 6/10

After all the talk of it's bad guy, which I love a good bad guy, Killmonger just kind of sucks. Contradicts himself logically, and really, really misses the mark for me. He's a shit bad guy, not Michael B Jordan's fault, I thought he was great, I thought all the actors were great, but the writing just didn't exist for this movie.
    Cinematography, the sound track, the acting, this movie has a lot going for it, but the main plot and drive of the movie wasn't great and really it goes back and forth between serious dialect and goofy Marvel comic nonsense that I don't know if I should have taken Killmonger that seriously to begin with.

Training Day - 6/10
    Still can’t see what the fuss is about with this film. Denzel does his “Alright, alriiiight. My man, my maaaaan” acting that he always does.
    Best part was Snoop Dogg.

Peppermint 6.5/10
    Shoddy script with a much needed pick-up by Garner, who really delivers here.