Question WoW FPS Drop In Raid = Un-Playable

In a full 30 man raid my game becomes basically un-playable/not fun to even raid. I've never experienced this before but it has been a while since I raided with a full 30 man raid. My recommended settings are 7 and then i scale some stuff back, like ground clutter and anti-aliasing. I play at 2560 x 1440, see specs below.

-Asus Sabertooth X79
    -Intel i7-3820 3.6 OC'd to 4.2
    -16GB Corsair DDR3 1600
    -Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    -Gigabyte GTX 980TI
    -Corsair HX 1050w PSU
    -Windows 7

I get 100+ FPS easily outside of raid unless I'm in one of the main cities. So I feel like the problem is related to just being around a certain number of other players.

I'm planning to delete my addons folder, wtf folder and then run the repair tool on WoW when I get off work but I wanted to make a post and see if I could get any kind of input on how to troubleshoot this if anyone else has dealt with this before?
    Last edited by Quickpaw; 2018-09-05 at 06:33 PM. Reason: more info

Ive not had an issue but i run at 20 people was it during any specific encounters ? Were all addons up to date ?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a few issues in pre patch with a new rig but a full reinstall solved that

Turn off shadows, that helps a lot. I also have issues in large groups. It's possible some add-ons are also scanning nearby people and causing lab. If I remember correctly there is a way to have different add-ons loaded for raids... a profile maybe? I could be wrong, but I've read something about it.

I thought many people were attributing the FPS drop to weak aura's. Though that might have just been few select WA's and not the addon as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyninja View Post
    Ive not had an issue but i run at 20 people was it during any specific encounters ? Were all addons up to date ?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a few issues in pre patch with a new rig but a full reinstall solved that
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostscythe View Post
    Turn off shadows, that helps a lot. I also have issues in large groups. It's possible some add-ons are also scanning nearby people and causing lab. If I remember correctly there is a way to have different add-ons loaded for raids... a profile maybe? I could be wrong, but I've read something about it.
    Addons were up to date and it was pretty much every encounter but as the raid went on it did seem like it got worse. I'm going to overhaul my addon usage and see if that helps. One addon in particular that may be the issue is Details. I know it scans players in raid for talents, pre-pots, flask, food, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Groven4 View Post
    I thought many people were attributing the FPS drop to weak aura's. Though that might have just been few select WA's and not the addon as a whole.
    I do use weakauras, not needed though if it makes the game unplayable. I will check on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickpaw View Post
    Addons were up to date and it was pretty much every encounter but as the raid went on it did seem like it got worse. I'm going to overhaul my addon usage and see if that helps. One addon in particular that may be the issue is Details. I know it scans players in raid for talents, pre-pots, flask, food, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I do use weakauras, not needed though if it makes the game unplayable. I will check on this.
    Out of curiosity were any other of your raid members sufdering from the same issue ? Or was it isolated to you

Detials can cause issues when scanning but you are able to turn that feature off in the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyninja View Post
    Out of curiosity were any other of your raid members sufdering from the same issue ? Or was it isolated to you

Detials can cause issues when scanning but you are able to turn that feature off in the settings.
    Others were saying they had fps drop, idk how much though. I play melee dps and I'm just use to being above 60fps and everything feeling nice but when my junk is sitting at 17fps my entire game feels like total ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    30 player raid, wow, thats harsh on any specs really. This really comes to show just how taxing even a "simple" looking game like wow can be when you factor in multple players all in close proximity.

World bosses are innevitable FPS killers. Regular raiding on the other hand is a but more controlled and tends to be more stable.

In the end you have few real options:
    - Start lowering target settings like shadows and try and see if it improves.
    - Reduce the number of addons you have running at all times.
    - Upgrade your PC.

P.S.: Windows 7? XD, I agree that is the best version of windows since xp but 10 aint so bad.
    It might be time for an upgrade, I've not counted that out of list of things that could be the problem...but it really seems like it's an issue with the # of people in the raid.

Hmm ill get a full specs list when im home but even in 20 man im sitting pretty at over 100 fps, it could be down to hardware but your systen doesnt seem to be lacking in power from what you listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Remember that its more than just a hardware issue. I think there are very few setups that can actually deliver 100 fps consistently when there are 30 players casting spells on a raid boss at the same time. The ammount of data moving around are enough to cause frame rates to dipp regardless of how powerful and optimised your rig is. Its just the reality of MMOs.

Now, granted, all the above advise still counts. Fewer addons, cherry pick settings and upgrade if possible.
    Pretty much this

- - - Updated - - -

If you find a solution can you post it

Troubleshooting starts in about 1 hour from now. Will update with results. Planning to start fresh with no addons and then only use DBM, Bartender, GTFO, and Skada.

- - - Updated - - -

Current list of addons for the record.

-LUI Core
    -Shadow Unit Frames
    -Weakauras
    -DBM
    -GTFO
    -Tiptac
    -Vuhdo
    -Details
    -Masque
    -Selljunk
    -WQ List
    -Quartz

- - - Updated - - -

Update

Ran Uldir last night with 18 people and had 90+ FPS all night. I deleted all my addons from the twitch app, then deleted my wtf, cache, and addon folder. Loaded up WoW and set my settings up and from there I started loading up addons one by one. This is what I ended up using for addons.

-Shadow unit frames
    -Skada
    -Bagnon
    -Selljunk
    -WQ list
    -Quartz
    -Tiptac
    -Masque

So maybe it was an addon or maybe it was the amount of people, but im happy now and ill test it out on a full 30man raid later.

Please keep us updated on how it goes in a larger raid! I'm having the exact same problem, in raids with more than 20ish people, my FPS drops to sub-40 despite advanced resource monitor showing everything at less than 50% usage (CPU, RAM, and GPU). I normally play with system set to 10(/10) with smooth frames, but I have the raid-settings set to 4 and I still see the FPS drops. With my system (8600K + 16GB RAM + 1080) this should not be happening, so I'm assuming something is wrong...

I will also try removing my addons, clearing caches, and reinstalling.

Thanks!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2018-09-06 at 12:46 PM.

Deleted
    I had 92 fps and i have shitty pc xd

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Please keep us updated on how it goes in a larger raid! I'm having the exact same problem, in raids with more than 20ish people, my FPS drops to sub-40 despite advanced resource monitor showing everything at less than 50% usage (CPU, RAM, and GPU). I normally play with system set to 10(/10) with smooth frames, but I have the raid-settings set to 4 and I still see the FPS drops. With my system (8600K + 16GB RAM + 1080) this should not be happening, so I'm assuming something is wrong...

I will also try removing my addons, clearing caches, and reinstalling.

Thanks!
    Definitely will. Can you list the addons you are using? Maybe it was one of the ones I ended up not using. Some of the first few replies to this thread suggested maybe weakauras and details using up a lot of resources.

Definitely will. Can you list the addons you are using? Maybe it was one of the ones I ended up not using. Some of the first few replies to this thread suggested maybe weakauras and details using up a lot of resources.
    I don't use many addons tbh, but I do use both Details and WeakAuras, so those will be my focus for sure. Others include DeadlyBossMods, Bagnon, GTFO, Auctionator, Garrison Mission Manager, Exorsus Raid Tools, World Quests List, KUINameplates, and Shadowed Unit Frames... I think that's all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I don't use many addons tbh, but I do use both Details and WeakAuras, so those will be my focus for sure. Others include DeadlyBossMods, Bagnon, GTFO, Auctionator, Garrison Mission Manager, Exorsus Raid Tools, World Quests List, KUINameplates, and Shadowed Unit Frames... I think that's all of them.
    Details and Weakauras may be the culprit as we had very similar addons before i changed mine up. People were saying u could disable all the scanning that details does when you're in raid but idk what's going on with weakauras if it is the problem. Possible memory leak or something.

I've been having similar issues, tried a few things to no avail so far. I'll try deleting/resetting the cache wtf and interface folders tonight and see how that goes.

Details and Weakauras may be the culprit as we had very similar addons before i changed mine up. People were saying u could disable all the scanning that details does when you're in raid but idk what's going on with weakauras if it is the problem. Possible memory leak or something.
    Thanks For the update ill link this if i see anyone with similar issues

15+ Year Old Account
    When you do figure it out get: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/acp

Let's you change addon profiles ingame very easily. I use it to turn all addons off for load screens and have profiles set for auctions, raids/mythics.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Just an update. I've stopped using Details and Weakauras. Skada uses far less resources than Details and I just don't trust Weakauras atm. It is nice having that warcraft logs kind of view in game with Details but I log everything so I'll just look through it all after raid. Everything is silky smooth again.

I get better fps in raids than in the world or dungeons this expac.