The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Hey, I haven't talked to guys in a while. Just wanted to tell you guys I love you. Right now I am having some rough times(My mother has cancer and it seems terminal). Just wanted to tell you guys I appreciated talking to you guys. <3
    oh shit man. I'm honored you would want to share this with us. If we can do anything, let us know! <3 you too. I hope things can improve, but we'll be here for ya the whole way.

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell? I just discovered the two fans at the front of my case are not running. x_x

- - - Updated - - -

Okay good news and no bad news about this minor issue:

cable plugged into the fan controller had come loose.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Hey, I haven't talked to guys in a while. Just wanted to tell you guys I love you. Right now I am having some rough times(My mother has cancer and it seems terminal). Just wanted to tell you guys I appreciated talking to you guys. <3
    I can't pretend to know what you are going through since you and I are two different people. But I went through that when I was younger, with my mother dying from cancer when I was 12. So if you need someone to talk to, vent with or just need to shout about how unfair everything is, you come find me.
    I'm sorry.
    &nbsp;

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I can't pretend to know what you are going through since you and I are two different people. But I went through that when I was younger, with my mother dying from cancer when I was 12. So if you need someone to talk to, vent with or just need to shout about how unfair everything is, you come find me.
    I'm sorry.
    Damn dude, I'm sorry to hear that.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Im on my third macbook pro keyboard in 18 months. I dont think my next laptop will be apple. Openbsd on a thinkpad maybe.
    Damn, I've heard that their keyboard's butterfly switches were susceptible to dust, that's still crazy - especially from a premium product coming from Apple. I used to have the view / opinion that Apple products (while you could criticize their direction / pricing) had a certain level of quality associated with them. I'm not sure I'd say the same thing these days. (I'm not well versed with Apple products, the only one I've ever owned was a 3 GS, so do feel free to level set my views.)

Out of curiosity, what draws your interest towards OpenBSD over, say, Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Out of curiosity, what draws your interest towards OpenBSD over, say, Linux?
    Possibly not having to deal with the most unnecessary complication of running a computer, systemd.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Macbook added a membrane to their keyboard so it's not as susceptible to dust. That said I don't like the feel of the keyboard and no idea about other problem fixes. Personally prefer Lenovo's keyboards over them.

I'm always of the one, use what you like really. I don't like Galaxy S phones but others do. Currently using Xperia XZ Premium and like it a lot. It's not perfect but for me it suits me well.

Smallest flagship phone atm is XZ2 Compact. That's sadly it though.

@evn @Butler Log re: OpenBSD

Thanks for the rationale. While I'm not surprised by systemd making the list, you bring up some interesting points with respect to feature creep & complexity that I've never considered. I'm used to dealing with all the cruft the Windows has accumulated without any way to pare it back like you would have in Linux. (Different distros, etc.)

Knowing you, evn, this won't be a deal breaker, but how does software availability / compatibility factor in for you? That's one of the reasons I'm still (for now) using Windows over Linux, and I assume that OpenBSD would be one step further away.

@evn re: Windows

What version of Windows and how old is the computer? It's pretty bad that I'm not even surprised to hear something like that happening (though I normally use borderless fullscreen for ease of alt tabbing). In some ways, I miss older computers that did what you told them - working like a tool you used to do stuff. Now it's a system that will do what you tell it when it's good and ready.

Can't you see I'm updating for you without asking? You're welcome, btw. (Or worse...)

@evn re: Apple

Thanks again for that. Part of the reason I said what I did about their quality was because of fuck ups like their Macbook keyboard and battery debacles. Even if Apple products are of the highest quality compared to other products, I don't think they're reaching the quality bar they've set for themselves in the past. I guess another way to put it, are you as satisfied with their newer products as their previous ones?

(I agree with you on phone sizes, btw. I don't see the attraction to phablets. I want something that I can comfortably fit in my pocket. Currently have a normal Pixel 1, not XL. I don't want a phone any bigger than that. Unrelated, but I also don't get the attraction to hyper thin & small bezels. I'd favor extra battery life over an extra mm or two of depth, and thinner bezels just mean I'm going to fat finger more controls.)

It's not so much that I think iPhones, Macbooks or Apple watches are awesome, I think they just suck less than other options. If somebody else really likes Galaxy phones or thinks Windows is awesome: more power to them. I'm glad they found something they actually like because I'm just taking the least offensive options available: I'm not a fan of most electronic devices I have.
    Preach!

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few Linux distros that would probably feel close to BSDs like Alpine or Void (they both use musl instead of glibc, and you have the option to use busybox instead of the GNU coreutils), but I'm not entirely sure it's already possible to completely substitute GCC with Clang without running into compilation problems due to GNU extensions.

The only problem with OpenBSD is that they constantly run out of money and you never know for how long Theo will be able to keep the ship sailing.

You're totally right on software availability being worse. In some ways you can think of it like "Mac OS vs Windows": there's less available, but what is there is really good. Most of the software I use on a daily basis is old command line stuff so it works everywhere already. I might not have the latest version but some of the things I use (e.g. mail client) haven had updates in 5 years unless I made them myself. I don't think it's a good choice for most people, but if your idea of fun is writing your own programming language and you still browse the web in a plain-text-browser because you think it actually makes the experience better then maybe it's worth checking out.
    Yeah, I don't feel guilty saying that's definitely more than I'd want to deal with on a personal rig. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The only problem with OpenBSD is that they constantly run out of money and you never know for how long Theo will be able to keep the ship sailing.
    For being the only problem, that is one hell of a problem to have on an OS.

Computer is about 4 or 5 years old: i7-4960x, 64gb ram, 4x250gb 850 pro+ 2x 1tb 860 evo, 2x titan black xonar stx, running whatever the most recent version of windows 10 professional is.
    Damn. When you said old PC, those components are a lot beefier than I was expecting - especially for a computer you don't use as a daily driver.

To fix my screen issues I've decided to get rid of my 3x 24" setup and just get a single 32" display. I was rarely really using the side ones for anything and 99% of the time I just want a single full screen terminal window with half a dozen tmux splits in it.

Went with this one because it was the best one at my local computer shop this morning that:
    • didn't have questionable branding (who the hell wants a monitor labeled 'predator' staring at them all day?)
    • didn't have weird red highlights
    • didn't come in some strange shape like super-wide or bent
    I don't think I'd ever want to have less than two monitors, even for one high resolution one. I like being able to separate my work, plus I've gotten used to snapping applications to the side of the display in Windows (Windows + left/right). (I think Windows 10 supports quadrant snapping, but I'm not 100$ sure.)

I can understand where you're coming from with a tmux workflow, though.

My rig has a triple monitor setup, and I ran it in surround for a while, but game support for that pretty shitty. I could see myself enjoying an ultrawide setup, but it would really stink to have to deal with a game not supporting that aspect ratio and having to use a secondary monitor that isn't in the ideal viewing position.

I suspect I'm going to swap out this silly old SLI setup for a single version of whatever NVidia's best video card is when they release the next versions. Simplicity is good, but I also kinda want to play Monster Hunter
    I'm really anxious to see what Nvidia announces on Monday. More than likely I'll pull the trigger and (finally) upgrade my graphics card, building a new system next year with the 7nm Ryzen.

Last week I was debating whether to buy MHW or wait for a sale (or me purchasing new hardware), but I decided not to wait. Unsurprisingly, I have to play it on potato settings (everything on minimum except dynamic resolution, TAA, and foliage sway, I think), but I'm still usually above 45 fps. Not great, but for a GPU heavy game on a 680? Could be a lot worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Yeah, I don't feel guilty saying that's definitely more than I'd want to deal with on a personal rig. :P
    For being the only problem, that is one hell of a problem to have on an OS.
    I mean, there are other problems, but usually when someone is even considering using OpenBSD as his/her daily driver he/she is already more than informed about it. They all come from their philosophy of putting security over everything else and literally only caring about security (to the point of dropping SMT support because it isn't safe).

There's certainly a niche for it, and whenever they do something differently from everyone else they're never completely wrong about it, but it's not like it is all-around better than other unix-like operating systems, they all come with their own set of strengths and weaknesses.

I really don't like buying things so when I do, I tend to buy as good as I can possibly afford in the hopes of avoiding it for as long as possible.
    Heh, I know that feeling, though I usually opt for a slightly better price/performance than the top card hardware offers. I may make an exception for the 2080 Ti, though. Waiting to see how it compares to the other Turing cards.

These days my screen looks like this 12 hours a day:
    https://i.imgur.com/5R6wtg6.png

It's not for everyone, not even for programmers, but there's a certain peace to be had knowing that no matter what happens, a bunch of my software issues are "solved".
    Work + hobby programming, I hope? Otherwise, that's a lot of work hours.

I suspect we're all on diffent continents, but if anybody wants to run some dungeons some time, hit me up. Winter's coming and I'm trying to avoid the outdoors.
    If I were still playing WoW, I'd take you up on that.

I mean, there are other problems, but usually when someone is even considering using OpenBSD as his/her daily driver he/she is already more than informed about it. They all come from their philosophy of putting security over everything else and literally only caring about security (to the point of dropping SMT support because it isn't safe).

There's certainly a niche for it, and whenever they do something differently from everyone else they're never completely wrong about it, but it's not like it is all-around better than other unix-like operating systems, they all come with their own set of strengths and weaknesses.
    Oh sure, I was speaking only for myself, not for everyone. If they like the features OpenBSD has to offer and its pros outweigh the cons, more power to them.

As for my "one hell of a problem to have," I was thinking along the lines of an OS not being supported / maintained / updated anymore. Take Windows XP for example, it's not longer getting security patches, so you're playing with fire if you use it while connected to the internet. If the OpenBSD team routinely has financial shortfalls, then OpenBSD kinda falls in that same category of at risk of no longer getting updates. Granted it's open source, so it's possible to get community patches, etc. Hmm, a more niche user base could either mean those patches would be slower to come out (less people) or faster (those in the niche being more dedicated). I'm speaking / pondering from ignorance... again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanting to buy a new monitor is extremely depressing. There's nothing reasonably close to what you can from even relatively cheap for their size mid-range TVs.
    I'd expect at least Samsung to shit out decent VA monitors, but even those are years behind their VA TVs for whatever reason...

The fact that nvidia is trying to push gaming TVs isn't even surprising when monitors in general suck, having to look at TN/IPS and their fantastic ~1000:1 contrast ratio in 2018 is just painful. Every single worthwhile mobile device has migrated to OLED by now, every single non-shit TV can do at least 5x better than this too, why is it so hard to make it just slightly smaller?

/rant
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-09-05 at 01:29 AM.

got me new setup yesterday assembled was yped about it but now yped even more since i cud get 50 ghz on air (~70c temps in battlefield5 64/64 map all ultra + future frame rendering) on jus 1264 v n thats without delidin
    i wonder ow far can i go be4 delidin is necessary i swear 2 christ
    Last edited by mauserr; 2018-09-23 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanting to buy a new monitor is extremely depressing. There's nothing reasonably close to what you can from even relatively cheap for their size mid-range TVs.
    I'd expect at least Samsung to shit out decent VA monitors, but even those are years behind their VA TVs for whatever reason...

The fact that nvidia is trying to push gaming TVs isn't even surprising when monitors in general suck, having to look at TN/IPS and their fantastic ~1000:1 contrast ratio in 2018 is just painful. Every single worthwhile mobile device has migrated to OLED by now, every single non-shit TV can do at least 5x better than this too, why is it so hard to make it just slightly smaller?

/rant
    PC Market got rolled around with IPS without knowing the full details about it.
    I'm just waiting for either that Panasonic IPS coming out in a reasonable priced product or Crystal LED type of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    PC Market got rolled around with IPS without knowing the full details about it.
    I'm just waiting for either that Panasonic IPS coming out in a reasonable priced product or Crystal LED type of stuff.
    The Q9F has ~6000:1 contrast ratio if you go into Samsung's service menu to disable local dimming, 19000:1 on a checkerboard test with it on, can almost output 2000cd/m² on a small window when displaying HDR content, has great black uniformity, doesn't reflect that much for a glossy display, can easily reach colour accuracy with some calibration, covers DCI-P3 almost entirely, is a 10bit panel with UHD resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate, and it can also do Freesync and BFI.

Oh but the input lag is horrible right?

FHD @ 60Hz: 21.4 ms
    FHD @ 60Hz + HDR: 22.3 ms
    FHD @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 75.6 ms
    FHD @ 120Hz: 11.1 ms

QHD @ 120 Hz: 10.8 ms

UHD @ 60Hz: 21.5 ms
    UHD @ 60Hz + HDR: 22.4 ms
    UHD @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 19.1 ms
    UHD @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR: 18.2 ms
    UHD @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 58.2 ms
    UHD With Interpolation: 20.9 ms

No, it's not horrible, that's more than passable. The only downside is that you can't do UHD@120Hz due to input bandwidth constraints.

It's honestly just sad that no monitor in the market can even get close... People buy 6bit+FRC IPS panels with 850:1 contrast ratios and 8000K white point and think they're great...
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-09-06 at 10:03 PM.

Monitors are like crammed with so many useless price-rising features which are later defunct and removed without prices going down. And then more features are crammed in to increase the price. \o/

Speaking of price hikes.. I bought a GTX 460 for equiv 140 usd once upon a time. The GTX 1160 looks to be launching for 350 usd. :')
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst part is that they don't even have any meaningful features. They lack mostly everything you should expect from a modern display in 2018. TVs are billion years ahead, and mobile displays are also ridiculously better even with PenTile subpixel arrays which is hilarious...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad part is a lot of people think desktop monitors are ahead of the curve and they exaggerate the hell out of the latency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi

It's been a while. Last time I posted in the computer forums was back in 2015, holy cow. I can see TetrisGOAT is active again .

I've also just realized how old my rig is now, damn. It's still chugging along but I'm due for a GPU upgrade, perhaps a 1080 or a 2070.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

No I am not, I am still inactive. I am too busy having a "life" ugh.
    As you can tell by my even older 4770k/gtx680 combo.
    Rip wallet.

I don't even have time to play wow anymore.
    I have 19 characters 110 or higher, but only 1 at higher than 111.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2018-09-07 at 10:11 AM.
    &nbsp;