10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely a shame. Game had great visuals, animations, mounts, playable races, and most importantly; player housing.

A lot of people seemed to praise Wildstar's combat but I thought it was very lackluster. Having only 8 abilities and having to pick between DPS abilities and utility/defensive abilities never sat well with me. I already dislike the faux feeling of being able to pick talents you like depending on your playstyle with WoW's talent tree and Wildstar was 10x worse with their customizable ability slots.

The telegraph system was also very jarring. It didn't feel like I was playing an MMO with how heavily combat was focused around aiming and dodging telegraphs. It was just very "immersion" breaking.

Had they increased the amount of ability slots you had by like 4 or 6 slots I reckon I'd have played Wildstar a lot more though.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2018-09-07 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rip in pepperonies. Another 1 bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Don't make a shit game with shit marketing and dated idea's and it won't fall on its face. Carbine and NCSoft only have themselves to blame for the mess that Wildstar was in.

They wanted that "Hardcore MMO" crap to be back and completely ignored the market when it spoke up saying that group isn't there. The game was in development for like 5 years before it even released and at release was a broken mess with barely any Endgame.

Those people who lost their jobs will find new ones in gaming development because while Wildstar did fall on its face it was still around for 7 years. That is experience not many other developers can claim to have.

Also fuck NCsoft for killing off CoH for Wildstar when CoH was actually making them money.

I hope everyone there finds a new job. But Wildstar had a slow death and they are the ones to blame for it.

Rift will have the same fate in the near future.
    I say "fuck the mmorpg community" for being toxic towards the genre as a whole, you are extremely dense if you don't see that the community has a mindset of bad launch=bad forever. It's a very unhealthy attitude to have in the genre. Of course it is 100% Crbs fault for letting the launch be so shitty. I am not blaming the mmorpg community for Wildstar failing, that is on the fault of the dev and publisher. I am annoyed at the mindset of the community and how it is damaging to the industry as a whole.

Yeah, fuck NCsoft, whatever your reason may be, CoH, Tabula Rasa, or Wildstar. Fuck em.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Glad to see the toxic idiots here making jokes about a game shutting down and people losing their jobs.

Wildstar at it's core was a fantastic mmorpg. I would go as far as to say that by a year into it's life was the best themepark on the market. So much love and character with some absolutely fantastic gameplay. Some of the best mmo music ever and just so many fun times. Well over 2k hours In this game. Not too surprised but still very sad about the news. It is so upsetting to see anti consumer garbage like bdo maintain such a large playerbase when wildstar never once abandoned it's no p2w promise fail so hard. Wildstar was one of my favorite games of all time and it's almost poetic to see one of my favorite IPs in koa get saved the same day one of my other favorites dies.

Fuck ncsoft, fuck carbine pre layoffs, fuck the mmorpg community for constantly laughing at everything they don't like. And fuck me for caring so much about a video game

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm just going to assume the entity won and murders the universe.
    Yeah fuck NCsoft for keeping the game up at a loss financially yeah?

How dare they!

- - - Updated - - -

I say "fuck the mmorpg community" for being toxic towards the genre as a whole, you are extremely dense if you don't see that the community has a mindset of bad launch=bad forever. It's a very unhealthy attitude to have in the genre. Of course it is 100% Crbs fault for letting the launch be so shitty. I am not blaming the mmorpg community for Wildstar failing, that is on the fault of the dev and publisher. I am annoyed at the mindset of the community and how it is damaging to the industry as a whole.

Yeah, fuck NCsoft, whatever your reason may be, CoH, Tabula Rasa, or Wildstar. Fuck em.
    That was not the damn issue. The damn issue was the consistent mismanagement by Carbine to the point players stopped caring and didn't go back.

And no. If we weren't critical of the genre as a whole we would end up with shit tier early access MMOs like Citadel: Forged with Fire.

You act like it's normal for a company to keep a game up if there is no point? Wildstar was in maintenance mode. It was always going to have the plug pulled. Content coming out slower should have made that clear.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-09-07 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Naw.

NCsoft was fine. They gave Carbine budget. They gave them time. They gave them creative freedom. They gave them post-launch support. They kept the game around for quite a while despite it being a total financial disaster. They even had Carbine working on other projects to try to keep the studio alive. They're not at fault.

The MMORPG community? Sorta, but not really. Carbine were begging to be taken down a peg with their "HARDCORE CUPCAKE" nonsense and their taunting of players who did things like question whether or not 40 man raiding was realistic in the modern MMO space. Yeah, folks were excessively shitty at times, but that's sadly just part of the internet/gaming scene.

And don't beat yourself up for getting attached to it. It never quite "clicked" for me, but there was a lot to like in the game. Fantastic zone design, great art direction overall, some fantastic character moments (though that could be overbearing at times...), solid soundtrack etc. etc. etc.

I know I'm absolutely going to jump back in to revisit my max level medic and probably try to level up my little chua engineer a little bit before things close down.
    You are right, Ncsoft did a pretty good job. Carbine was a horribly managed company, I saw fuck Ncsoft because they never actually reinvested into Wildstar, not even for f2p. THat is not on them of course. As a business they should do whatever they need to make money and not take massive risks...but I can still hate them for it :3

As for the mmorpg community, I am more so referring to it's attitude of mmorpgs after launch. Not saying everyone should have come back to Wildstar or anything just because I think it was fixed (it was) but the idea that it's bad because it was bad is unhealthy in such an ever changing genre.
    Diablo Bore.

You are right, Ncsoft did a pretty good job. Carbine was a horribly managed company, I saw fuck Ncsoft because they never actually reinvested into Wildstar, not even for f2p. THat is not on them of course. As a business they should do whatever they need to make money and not take massive risks...but I can still hate them for it :3

As for the mmorpg community, I am more so referring to it's attitude of mmorpgs after launch. Not saying everyone should have come back to Wildstar or anything just because I think it was fixed (it was) but the idea that it's bad because it was bad is unhealthy in such an ever changing genre.
    But it was bad because it was bad. There is no sugar coating it.

F2P improved very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah fuck NCsoft for keeping the game up at a loss financially yeah?

How dare they!

- - - Updated - - -

That was not the damn issue. The damn issue was the consistent mismanagement by Carbine to the point players stopped caring and didn't go back.

Don't do this shit tier deflection of blaming the players for the games faults.

And no. If we weren't critical of the genre as a whole we would end up with shit tier early access MMOs like Citadel: Forged with Fire.
    If you are going to say things, learn to read. I literally say Carbine was a horrible company, I say that pretty clearly. You conveinently ignore where I say "Fuck Carbine pre layoffs" and say it was 100% CRBs fault for letting the game launch so horribly.

But yeah I am clearly just blaming the players.

Gimme a fucking break.

You also don't understand what I mean by critical...somehow. How do you take "the mindset of bad launch=bad forever" and turn that into "We shouldn't criticize games"
    Last edited by ryanmahaffe; 2018-09-07 at 12:30 AM.
    Diablo Bore.

If you are going to say things, learn to read. I literally say Carbine was a horrible company, I say that pretty clearly. You conveinently ignore where I say "Fuck Carbine pre layoffs" and say it was 100% CRBs fault for letting the game launch so horribly.

But yeah I am clearly just blaming the players.

Gimme a fucking break.

You also don't understand what I mean by critical...somehow. How do you take "the mindset of bad launch=bad forever" and turn that into "We shouldn't critisize games"
    Your mindset is that the players thought the game was bad even when it improved.

What else do you want me to take it as?

All your posts come off as to me are rants if I'm honest dude.

But it was bad because it was bad. There is no sugar coating it.

F2P improved very little.
    Uh no. Every single issue from launch was fixed over time. F2p itself improved very little, the problem with f2p is that it broke a lot of existing content that was fixed, had horrible servers and horrible lag everywhere.

Wildstar in 2014 was a pretty shit game because of it's systems, it improved a lot in 2015 and 2016 before maintenance mode really hit in 2017. I think Wildstar deserves this fate for how horribly it was handled, but I also won't generalize it to just "bad gaem lel"

- - - Updated - - -

Your mindset is that the players thought the game was bad even when it improved.

What else do you want me to take it as?

All your posts come off as to me are rants if I'm honest dude.
    They come off as rants because I am upset about the situation, not at any poster.
    My mindset is the mmorpg genre is very unforgiving and a bad launch will tarnish a reputation all the way to the grave.
    Diablo Bore.

Uh no. Every single issue from launch was fixed over time. F2p itself improved very little, the problem with f2p is that it broke a lot of existing content that was fixed, had horrible servers and horrible lag everywhere.

Wildstar in 2014 was a pretty shit game because of it's systems, it improved a lot in 2015 and 2016 before maintenance mode really hit in 2017. I think Wildstar deserves this fate for how horribly it was handled, but I also won't generalize it to just "bad gaem lel"

- - - Updated - - -

They come off as rants because I am upset about the situation, not at any poster.
    My mindset is the mmorpg genre is very unforgiving and a bad launch will tarnish a reputation all the way to the grave.
    Nobody here is generalising though.

It didn't improve much content wise though. And then it just seeped to barebones.

I mean, the F2P transition got a nice bump and seemed like they had some budget to work with...Carbine just shit the bed with it by not timing it to a major update (especially the subsequent post-F2P update that IIRC had a bunch of QoL features). And to boot, they did stuff like their Steam launch at the worst possible time if they wanted to get press coverage to raise awareness of the game. It's quite possible NCsoft was involved, but given what I know of how they operate it doesn't seem terribly likely.

And yeah...sadly that's just a "gaming" thing. Folks love a flop and they love to to shit on things, sadly. And given that WS ended up unfortunately attracting some of the toxic "hardcore" folks who are known to have negative reactions as visceral as their positive ones it was doubly unfortunate.

The thing that annoys me the most out of all of this? All the press coverage it's getting. Huge sites like GameSpot, Kotaku etc. covering this news despite not having covered the game for years or barely covering it beyond launch/F2P to begin with. Just gettin them drama clicks as folks lose their jobs and a community loses a home. At least the MMO sites steadily covered the game throughout as long as there was news, even over the past year when all Carbine was doing was turning on periodic events and there wasn't anything new/announced in the way of content.

Nobody here is generalising though.

It didn't improve much content wise though. And then it just seeped to barebones.
    Content wise I mostly agree as the devs had to spend so much time fixing all the awful systems and finish things like veteran shiphands. They had to rebalance Datascape to 20 players which delayed any new raid content, they had to fix the rune system, they had to fix pvp gearing and crafting, they had to fix the attunement, and so on and so on. The content that was added was improved over launch, Bay of Betrayel was a fan favorite adventure and Arcterra was a very well recieved zone, the problem was they ended up being spread too thin because of layoffs and what have you.

Primal Matrix was the final nail. It was more systems less content. The game needed meaty content not more systems and legion copy pasting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, the F2P transition got a nice bump and seemed like they had some budget to work with...Carbine just shit the bed with it by not timing it to a major update (especially the subsequent post-F2P update that IIRC had a bunch of QoL features). And to boot, they did stuff like their Steam launch at the worst possible time if they wanted to get press coverage to raise awareness of the game. It's quite possible NCsoft was involved, but given what I know of how they operate it doesn't seem terribly likely.

And yeah...sadly that's just a "gaming" thing. Folks love a flop and they love to to shit on things, sadly. And given that WS ended up unfortunately attracting some of the toxic "hardcore" folks who are known to have negative reactions as visceral as their positive ones it was doubly unfortunate.

The thing that annoys me the most out of all of this? All the press coverage it's getting. Huge sites like GameSpot, Kotaku etc. covering this news despite not having covered the game for years or barely covering it beyond launch/F2P to begin with. Just gettin them drama clicks as folks lose their jobs and a community loses a home. At least the MMO sites steadily covered the game throughout as long as there was news, even over the past year when all Carbine was doing was turning on periodic events and there wasn't anything new/announced in the way of content.
    They were given almost nothing to upgrade the servers with. In fact they didn't upgrade the servers at all. Server issues was the primary reason f2p flopped so fast, weekends at prime time had ques for upwards of 3 weeks. Steam launch was by e3 so I assume that is what you meant. Yeah WIldstar is a pretty good example of shit timing and shit marketing and shit...everything in the back end.

Last part I agree with 100%, negativity will always be more important than positivity and it's a shame.
    Diablo Bore.

damn... guess I'm going to give this game one last go, for old times sake. I really wanted to like it. so much. it just.. wasn't clicking for long enough :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    damn... guess I'm going to give this game one last go, for old times sake. I really wanted to like it. so much. it just.. wasn't clicking for long enough :/
    Same. I don't think I've played in a couple years or so, and I never really got SUPER invested in it... But I've always loved it, and the art style and lore.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Haven't logged in in months, even then it was only to RP and fool around with housing, and I knew this was coming before long, but still bummed it's going to be gone for good. It's the only MMO that was able to pull me away from WoW for a little while, I just can't get interested in any of the others. I'll definitely need to log in sometime soon to get video of my housing plots and screenshots of my characters.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Same. I don't think I've played in a couple years or so, and I never really got SUPER invested in it... But I've always loved it, and the art style and lore.
    I know some people were unhappy with cartoonish style, but I genuinely found it charming. going to do like Ivinara bellow and just mess around out in a world, take some character screenshots, hang around my main's house and all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This game came out 7 years ago? Jesus. It feels like 3-4 years ago.

I liked the housing system. That was about it though.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    This game came out 7 years ago? Jesus. It feels like 3-4 years ago.
    It was 4 years ago lol.

Released properly in 2014.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It was 4 years ago lol.

Released properly in 2014.
    Oh. Nevermind then.