Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Got a giftcard what should I upgrade?

I recently got a $500 gift card from Newegg as an early birthday present. Here is my current build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GPTZWD

The 1050ti is temporary until RTX 2070 comes out. I already put aside cash for the graphics card so the money will be used for other components. I would like to upgrade to an Intel 8700k but I hear the 9000 series is coming soon.
    Last edited by MatthewOU2015; 2018-09-08 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're just linking to a list there, so anyone clicking that will see what they made themselves last. To the top left under "current part list" you can find an option for a perma link. Give us that, or the full list from the markup just next to it (use the [bb] one)

(This is mine, you probably shouldn't copy it)

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You're just linking to a list there, so anyone clicking that will see what they made themselves last. To the top left under "current part list" you can find an option for a perma link. Give us that, or the full list from the markup just next to it (use the [bb] one)

(This is mine, you probably shouldn't copy it)
    RIP lol I fixed it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    RIP lol I fixed it
    It's cool.

I mean, it depends what you want done really. I'd hate having only 500gb of space on my PC, so I'd definitely get more storage, but that's more a QoL change.

As for the CPU, upgrading to an 8700k is not really advisable at the minute considering we're really close to the 9000 series launch. If the 9700k keeps the same price as the 8700k though, you're looking at ~450 total for the CPU and a new MOBO (Which funnily enough leaves you enough for a 1TB HDD). That said I'm expecting there to be a price hike on at least the CPU's.

Could also put the gift card towards upgrading to a 2080ti instead of a 2070 potentially, since the 1700 is still okay for games, and then save for a new CPU later.

Wait, you got the gift card FROM newegg or FOR newegg?

How do I get newegg to send me $500 birthday gift cards?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wait, you got the gift card FROM newegg or FOR newegg?

How do I get newegg to send me $500 birthday gift cards?
    I'm sorry it was for Newegg.

Upgrade to at a dual channel kit of 16GB of Ram. Other than that I'd save to see how Zen2 and Intel's 9 series are performing. More storage would be good to, but that really depends on if you actually need it or not.
    Last edited by DrStiglit; 2018-09-11 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Upgrade to at a dual channel kit of 16GB of Ram. Other than that I'd save to see how Zen2 and Intel's 9 series are performing. More storage would be good to, but that really depends on if you actually need it or not.
    Same opinion here. Go up to 16GB of ram and then save the money for an even better GPU imho. No need to change CPU/mobo right now since you have a 1700 which is fine for gaming.

EDIT: you could invest some money on 1 more SSD so you can transfer your game library there. Not an upgrade per se but an awesome QoL improvement - say something goes bonkers with the OS, you can easily format/reinstall without the need to redownload/reinstall your entire game library. I'm currently running 1 m.2 + 2 ssd setup (OS, docs, games) and it's just right. You don't need extreme sizes, another 500 or 750gb is fine.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2018-09-14 at 11:38 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I'm sorry it was for Newegg.
    to be fair, the gift card was from newegg, just someone else loaded it full of cash. which is still kinda weird to me, just give someone $500 in cash and let them spend it on what they want.