Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Ion Hazzikostas is showing a lack of leadership right now regarding BFA key features

Ion admitted that BFA classes were still in a bad state despite the launch of the expansion moving up by one month. But since then what has Ion done to reassure shamans, priests, other classes that positive changes are on the way since then? Legion patch 7.1 was deployed on the PTR once the Legion launched. Where is the 8.1 PTR and patch to show that the devs are actively hearing the concerns of the WoW gaming community?

All Ion has done since then is respond to a level and gear scaling thread which shows that people can farm BFA dungeons better with a twink than a max level player. But this holds true in the open world where a twink will farm better than a geared player in 340 ilevel. For those that do not know the main benefit of gaining gear in BFA is an increase in Hp and primary stat as scaling negates almost everything else. But if secondary stats stay garbo as they are currently are on higher BFA gear. Then lower geared and lower level sub 120 players simply fair better than higher geared BFA players at level 120 in the open world of BFA.

There are two solutions to this problem. One, they could increase primary stats on higher ilevel gear. Second, put secondary stats on higher level azerite armor pieces. Currently having a fully unlocked Azerite armor that is lower level is supremely better than a higher ilevel Azerite armor that has no traits unlocked. This also means a 111 can have a fully unlocked Azerite armor piece and simply perform better while having the benefits of legendaries in the open world of BFA. So having a 111 is the most optimal way to farm BFA content which should cause people to recoil in horror that this is allowed in a MMORPG like WoW. Is WoW still a MMORPG if level and gear scaling stay as is? This is a serious question to ponder.

Next, with the level of time gating on everything what kind of customer is Blizzard trying to cater to? Collectively punishing the majority of players because a few players can't consume content in a healthy manner isn't a good idea. Furthermore, collectively punishing the majority of players with personal loot when a few players can't say no or not hit the trade button isn't a good idea. And collectively punishing the majority of players by pruning class and spec abilities, because a minority of players don't want to use a skill or ability.

BFA had great potential but the core systems, its guts, the mechanics are all flawed because it assume players will overlook all these things because of the beauty of BFA zones, music and art.

MMORPG players by definition care about the core of stats, character building, progressing with better gear to conquer the world and move onto a stronger world.

BFA is designed to cater to the non MMO and non MMORPG players. But Blizz still expect players to accept time gates with no rewards or little rewards.

Ion is mostly in charge of raiding content. He has done a fantastic job there.

The problem spans across all of Blizzard's products. The product line as whole has been underwhelming. Wow lost a lot of subs, Starcraft had a lot of problems, Diablo stunk.

The problem to me is Mike Morhaime because he oversees the entire company. I'd fire Morhaime and get someone in there who is a great game designer and is extroverted and hopefully fixes the social play in all the games.

If you kept Morhaime and got rid of Ion, you'd just continue to have antisocial play across all the games but raids would probably get worse. The company would get worse.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-09-09 at 10:57 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    why don't you just look for a new game to play that is more for your taste?

The weapon of my choice are great balls of fire!

I think this silence from Blizzard side on all this shit and lack of 8.1 PTR is sign that Blizzard currently decides scrap the expansion (aka WoD all over again) or keep to original plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

The problem spans across all of Blizzard's products. The product line as whole has been underwhelming. Wow lost a lot of subs, Starcraft had a lot of problems, Diablo stunk.

The problem to me is Mike Morhaime because he oversees the entire company. I'd fire Morhaime and get someone in there who is a great game designer and is extroverted and hopefully fixes the social play in all the games.
    I am saying this respectfully... I don't agree with you.

Ion is the Game Director.

If you will, look at the job description of a Game Director. This one is for Hearthstone: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/g...ment-843163540

*Be the vision holder for [WoW], setting the overall vision and direction for the game.
    *Direct game design while successfully partnering with the production, art, technical, and business directors to deliver and maintain an epic gaming experience.
    *Interact with the player community via press announcements, forum posts, interviews, and public appearances.
    *Coach and guide creative team members toward achieving their career goals.
    *Establish and maintain a creative environment, resolve personnel challenges, motivate qualified developers, and foster a culture of success.
    *Partner with company leadership to align on goals and make sure all perspectives are represented.
    Ion must take 100% responsibility for what a catastrophic failure BfA has been, not Morhaime.

Edit: in b4 "stop playin de game den, hurr hurr" comments from other ppl... if you disagree that bfa wasn't great, thats fine. Be cool.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2018-09-09 at 10:59 PM.

You think he cares? They always just brush it off or say "we'll look into it" or "our data says otherwise"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Ion admitted that BFA classes were still in a bad state despite the launch of the expansion moving up by one month. But since then what has Ion done to reassure shamans, priests, other classes that positive changes are on the way since then? Legion patch 7.1 was deployed on the PTR once the Legion launched. Where is the 8.1 PTR and patch to show that the devs are actively hearing the concerns of the WoW gaming community?

All Ion has done since then is respond to a level and gear scaling thread which shows that people can farm BFA dungeons better with a twink than a max level player. But this holds true in the open world where a twink will farm better than a geared player in 340 ilevel. For those that do not know the main benefit of gaining gear in BFA is an increase in Hp and primary stat as scaling negates almost everything else. But if secondary stats stay garbo as they are currently are on higher BFA gear. Then lower geared and lower level sub 120 players simply fair better than higher geared BFA players at level 120 in the open world of BFA.

There are two solutions to this problem. One, they could increase primary stats on higher ilevel gear. Second, put secondary stats on higher level azerite armor pieces. Currently having a fully unlocked Azerite armor that is lower level is supremely better than a higher ilevel Azerite armor that has no traits unlocked. This also means a 111 can have a fully unlocked Azerite armor piece and simply perform better while having the benefits of legendaries in the open world of BFA. So having a 111 is the most optimal way to farm BFA content which should cause people to recoil in horror that this is allowed in a MMORPG like WoW. Is WoW still a MMORPG if level and gear scaling stay as is? This is a serious question to ponder.

Next, with the level of time gating on everything what kind of customer is Blizzard trying to cater to? Collectively punishing the majority of players because a few players can't consume content in a healthy manner isn't a good idea. Furthermore, collectively punishing the majority of players with personal loot when a few players can't say no or not hit the trade button isn't a good idea. And collectively punishing the majority of players by pruning class and spec abilities, because a minority of players don't want to use a skill or ability.

BFA had great potential but the core systems, its guts, the mechanics are all flawed because it assume players will overlook all these things because of the beauty of BFA zones, music and art.

MMORPG players by definition care about the core of stats, character building, progressing with better gear to conquer the world and move onto a stronger world.

BFA is designed to cater to the non MMO and non MMORPG players. But Blizz still expect players to accept time gates with no rewards or little rewards.
    Translation: things aren't the way I want them to be, because Ion.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    I am saying this respectfully... I don't agree with you.

Ion is the Game Director.

If you will, look at the job description of a Game Director. This one is for Hearthstone: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/g...ment-843163540

Ion must take 100% responsibility for what a catastrophic failure BfA has been, not Morhaime.
    No.

In WoW, they shut down global LFG years ago, added antisocial elements like LFG, sharding, phasing, etc. In Diablo, they actually wanted to ship it without ANY chat channels whatsoever. They got massive feedback on their official forums with multiple 25 page threads angry at about it, until they finally implemented a poor version of chat. In Starcraft 2, again, there's no community at all.

This is NOT a WoW problem. This is a BLIZZARD problem. And that points at Morhaime not Ion. Morhaime needs to be FIRED.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic Knight View Post
    I think this silence from Blizzard side on all this shit and lack of 8.1 PTR is sign that Blizzard currently decides scrap the expansion (aka WoD all over again) or keep to original plan.
    I hope patch 8.1 hits the PTR this month. If they follow through with the supposed plan of delaying patch 8.1 because patch 7.1 came too soon...lord have mercy...

But yeah we are not at that point where we can conclude they are going to cut and run on BFA like WoD. But if patch 8.1 isn't in the PTR in the next four weeks I am seriously wondering if this is a repeat of WoD where they bail on it mid expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthor220 View Post
    You think he cares? They always just brush it off or say "we'll look into it" or "our data says otherwise"
    Maybe there's a reason they say their data says otherwise. Maybe there's *gasp* more to WoW's community than the people who cry endlessly about it on the forums.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    First off, Ion used to be (lead?) Encounter designer, now he's game director of WoW, Chiltons replacement.
    Meaning he's pretty much in charge of anything concerning WoW gameplay.

Second, Legion was in my opinion one of the worst expansions as far as raiding was concerned, every single tier had at least one major blunder from an design PoV.

Quote Originally Posted by jarmale View Post
    why don't you just look for a new game to play that is more for your taste?
    Why do that when he can spam 9000 whine posts over 7 years instead?
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthor220 View Post
    Most likely because they have actual data about the classes and are smart enough not to listen to all the people who whine on the forums instead of providing constructive feedback.

IMVHO I do not think Ion was ready to become a lead for WoW. Should have left someone more experienced run the ship like Alex Afrasiabi. Maybe Alex was offered first but he declined? Who knows.

All I know is that warfronts and island expeditions are a train wreck but can be salvaged with immediate and simply hot fixes/changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    First off, Ion used to be (lead?) Encounter designer, now he's game director of WoW, Chiltons replacement.
    But, OBVIOUSLY, when social play gets gutted across ALL Blizzard titles, that's not Ion's fault. That's coming from someone above Ion. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post

Second, Legion was in my opinion one of the worst expansions as far as raiding was concerned, every single tier had at least one major blunder from an design PoV.
    Well 7.0 and 7.1 were made under Chilton. After that (7.2+) its all pure Ion's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Most likely because they have actual data about the classes and are smart enough not to listen to all the people who whine on the forums instead of providing constructive feedback.
    Monks are nose diving in terms of particpation because of the heavy handed pruning in BFA. Same thing happened with Sub in Legion and they finally listened to players and caused the mid expansion Sub rework.

Players 99% know more about classes than the devs. Tigole and Alex both were prominent players back in the Everquest days and how they became the original devs for vanilla WoW.

Want to try that argument again?

Bfa is absolutely amazing so far. Why would you fire anyone. xD

Just a few bugs went trough affecting a minimal amount of the players for just a few hours.

I can log in now do m+ dungeons, raids, wq or just fishing everything perfectly fine. You should just try to stop whining and enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Bfa is absolutely amazing so far. Why would you fire anyone. xD

Just a few bugs went trough affecting a minimal amount of the players for just a few hours.

I can log in now do m+ dungeons, raids, wq or just fishing everything perfectly fine. You should just try to stop whining and enjoy the game.
    BFA has the most bugs at launch compared to other expansions IMVHO. If you don't have the experience or knowledge maybe you should go on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Monks are nose diving in terms of particpation because of the heavy handed pruning in BFA. Same thing happened with Sub in Legion and they finally listened to players and caused the mid expansion Sub rework.

Players 99% know more about classes than the devs. Tigole and Alex both were prominent players back in the Everquest days and how they became the original devs for vanilla WoW.

Want to try that argument again?
    Yeah and Blizzard listens to constructive feedback, doesn't mean it always matches their data about the classes.

Your post history is 40 pages of you complaining about the game. Maybe this game just isn't for you.