View Poll Results: Is buying tokens and boosts from Blizzard considered cheating in WoW?

Voters
929. This poll is closed
  • Yes, this is clearly cheating

108 11.63%
  • No, cheating has a very specific meaning

788 84.82%
  • Other - My answer is way too convoluted, see below

33 3.55%
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Selling tokens is pay2win, because you're exchanging real money for an in-game advantage, gold. Buying tokens is exchanging in-game gold to subscribe to the game, which grants access but no actual advantage different than any other player. You're right that one can't exist without the other, of course.
    When you buy a token you are exchanging in-game gold for real money. Seriously. You can't buy a token that wasn't bought with real money. You clearly have no idea how anything works. If selling a token is cheating then buying that token is cheating. You even say that one can't exist with out the other. Yet insist that one is cheating and one is not.

It has nothing to do with integrity. Because everyone that buys a token supports those who sell tokens. So it isn't bad to support cheaters but its bad for them to sell. In other words you buy tokens so have to justify why it isn't cheating otherwise your mind would implode from having no integrity.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actions against the TOS would be what Blizzard considers as cheating. I consider buying tokens and boosts a debate, albeit a pointless one.

Pay2win is inherently cheating because it damages the integrity of the game. That is my answer to this subjective question.

Selling tokens is pay2win, because you're exchanging real money for an in-game advantage, gold. Buying tokens is exchanging in-game gold to subscribe to the game, which grants access but no actual advantage over any other player. You're right that one can't exist without the other, of course.
    "Pay To Win. When you are paying for advantage which normal players don't have access to."
    Everyone has access to Boosts and tokens. Not my problem if they cannot afford what is being offered to them.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I don't care about people exchanging gold for real money, because that doesn't grant them an advantage inside the game. I already agreed that one doesn't exist without the other, so your argument there holds water.

I personally have not purchased or sold any tokens or boosts, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    When you buy a token you are exchanging in-game gold for real money. Seriously. You can't buy a token that wasn't bought with real money. You clearly have no idea how anything works. If selling a token is cheating then buying that token is cheating. You even say that one can't exist with out the other. Yet insist that one is cheating and one is not.

It has nothing to do with integrity. Because everyone that buys a token supports those who sell tokens. So it isn't bad to support cheaters but its bad for them to sell. In other words you buy tokens so have to justify why it isn't cheating otherwise your mind would implode from having no integrity.
    Good post. At least someone understands it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    Some people seem to be of the opinion that buying tokens for gold, or a character boost (which everyone gets free with each expac) to be cheating in WoW. Do you consider it to be cheating? Or are they simply legal, paid services in WoW?
    It must be legal, since Blizz is providing with the gold or boost?

Christ.

I don't care about people exchanging gold for real money, because that doesn't grant them an advantage inside the game. But I agreed that one doesn't exist without the other.
    Buying stolen merchandise is the same as stealing it yourself. You are considered an accessory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    It must be legal, since Blizz is providing with the gold or boost?

Christ.
    One would assume, but if you look at the poll, there are some people with whom common sense has departed.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about people exchanging gold for real money, because that doesn't grant them an advantage inside the game.
    You can use gold to buy 110 boost indirectly, which you called cheating a few posts ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about people exchanging gold for real money, because that doesn't grant them an advantage inside the game. I already agreed that one doesn't exist without the other, so your argument there holds water. .
    But the only way someone can exchange real money for gold is if someone exchanges gold for real money. It has nothing to do with integrity. Because buying a token is what allows someone to sell a token. You have no idea how the system works yet have no problem screaming at the top of your lungs about integrity, cheating, and anything else to rant and rave.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I already agreed that people buying tokens for gold are at fault too. Not sure why you guys keep bringing it up.

@Teri: By that logic you can also use gold to buy crack and sell it to schoolkids, which makes Blizzard an accessory to killing children. Yes, money is fungible. That doesn't make a strong argument, though.

I already agreed that people buying tokens for gold are at fault too. Not sure why you guys keep bringing it up.

@Teri: By that logic you can also use gold to buy crack and sell it to schoolkids, which makes Blizzard an accessory to killing children. Yes, money is fungible. That doesn't make a strong argument, though.
    Horrible analogy. You should stop while you are behind.

It creates an unfair advantage but it is not cheating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    Buying stolen merchandise is the same as stealing it yourself. You are considered an accessory.

- - - Updated - - -

One would assume, but if you look at the poll, there are some people with whom common sense has departed.
    If cheating is:

-Boosting to 110 to skip all the old stuff.

-Buying gold to provide yourself with ingame stuff(most likely transmog, mounts and gear that will be replaced during progression - OR - sell tokens to provide yourself with gametime.

-If you can compare the stuff above with game breaking mechanics i.e during raid encounter.

Then yes. It's cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It creates an unfair advantage but it is not cheating.
    Like what?

That people rather want to work thier ass of IRL and spend the money ingame, so they can buy crafted gear or the transmog of the dreams?

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    @Teri: By that logic you can also use gold to buy crack and sell it to schoolkids, which makes Blizzard an accessory to killing children.
    What? Never heard of Battle Net Balance??

I am not talking about actual trade outside of the game.

You can literally convert your gold for digital money to spend on boosts, mounts, or whatever else within blizzard's digital shops (hearthstone/overwatch/heroes of the storm included), or buy entire games/expansion packs with it too.

Yes, all that stuff is cheating, because other players can't do it unless they kick in some real money too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because you keep insisting that it isn't cheating. If they are at fault then it is cheating. Clearly you have to Cheating but alright and Cheating but not alright definitions. It again isn't about integrity of a game but whatever random things you don't like so it is therefore bad for the entire game. Which is the problem. You can't have a discussion if you create rules that only exist in your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's obviously a subjective question.
    No, it's not, as much as some of you wish it were. Cheating in a game is 1) breaking the rules... 2) to get an advantage.

You cannot cheat unless you break the rules. BOTH conditions need to be satisfied and buying gold from blizzard via tokens is explicitly within the rules. "But... it gives them an advantage!" - irrelevant even if we stipulate that's true because it's *within the rules*.

You can argue that it's distasteful, gives people with excess money an advantage that's not as easily offset as it was in WoD and Legion where gold was easy to get in game (1000g table missions, etc). But since it's allowed under the rules it's not cheating.

And no, you don't get to redefine the word to suit yourself.

Yes, all that stuff is cheating, because other players can't do it unless they kick in some real money too.
    It is available to all players, not just the rich ones like myself.

Buying tokens for gold isn't exactly cheating, in my view, any more than purchasing stolen property is thieving. But in both cases one wouldn't exist without the other. I can see nuance is probably wasted on the forums! Heh.

15+ Year Old Account
    90% of the game can't be done with out kicking in real money. According to your logic anything that doesn't exist with the trial is cheating then. Which basically means your definition of cheating is bad and irrelevant to what we are discussing.