Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    A bad tank doesn't know what he can't do and dies trying.
    A good tank knows what he can't do and doesn't do it.
    An excellent tank knows what he can't do and does it anyway because he knows he's not alone.
    Yeah I agree with this 100%. First you need to learn how much damage the mobs deal to you. Once you've a good understanding of that, you need to pick up on how much you healer can heal and if your DPS use CCs.

I was a Guardian Druid as well as Affliction Warlock main in Legion, with my main priority being tanking until spring 2018, though I haven't leveled a tank yet.

Back in Legion, I regularly pushed 17+ as my tank and 20+ as my warlock. Whenever I was tanking, I made it a habit of whispering the healer prior to putting the key in and asking him about his experience and how good he feels pulling multiple packs. You should also raider.io them because PUG healers have a tendency of being overconfident. From my experience, whenever it was not the healer's own key, they were much more realistic of their own abilities whereas "key owners" frequently made unfulfilled prophecies.

Unless you feel good about your healer, go slow at the beginning and get a feeling for your group. A good healer will also communicate with you, even if it's just whispering "go" or "slow". There have been many situation where I felt like the healer was out of mana, but he whispered me "go go go, pull big" because he had some healing CD that I wasn't aware of. Of course, my best runs were with everybody on Discord, but that's kinda rare in PUGs unless you're pushing a +20.

Waiting between pulls - especially if one mob is super low on health - might significantly slow down your run because it might screw some of your DPS'es AEO (Demonology Warlocks for instance).

From my experience running +20's as DPS, a good tank should let your group know which mobs he's intending to pull, how many he's going to pull and when he's going to pull them - there are plenty of DPS classes which need to plan their strongest CDs ahead-of-time, so knowing whether you're going to pull a pack of 3 or a pack of 7 can make a big difference.

Another thing I did when playing my Bear tank was having key-bound target-marker macros, such that I could quickly mark mobs with a skull etc.

During fights requiring CC's and Interrupts, I also communicated with my group prior to putting the key in and we setup special target markers to mean certain things - for instance blue square means cc, red cross means I am going to interrupt this mob next, moon means a specific member of the group should interrupt / CC that mob, etc.

If you're struggling on a key, ask your group to get on Discord, even if it's just the tank and healer talking - it can really help coordinating CD and interrupt use.