Have the name unlock wave for this expansion gone out yet?

I noticed Blizzard no longer handles name unlock per request anymore, instead they unlock all names on inactive accounts each expansion.
    Anyone knows if they have communicated when this will be in this expansion or if they have already done it?

10+ Year Old Account
    doubtful, the small indie company has been too busy trying to put out the forest fires they started with this expansions release, it's been wave after wave after wave of hotfixes since expansion launch, the next major ones i expect to see are ones nerfing AP requirements on azerite armour to more meaningful levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think so. Finding a decent name for my allied races is the bane of my existance :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    I noticed Blizzard no longer handles name unlock per request anymore, instead they unlock all names on inactive accounts each expansion.
    Anyone knows if they have communicated when this will be in this expansion or if they have already done it?
    I think they did one like, 5 months ago. They seem to unlock names about 2-3 expansions back.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Don't think so. Finding a decent name for my allied races is the bane of my existance :|
    Indeed. Was gonna race change my rogue to a female Mag'har and had a perfect name which could work for both genders in the future, but sadly it was taken.
    I have an alternate spelling of the name with just one extra letter, but it looks better with just one "o" over "ou".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I think they did one like, 5 months ago. They seem to unlock names about 2-3 expansions back.
    Got any source? Can't find anything from Blizzard, but Im not using twitter.
    And yea I believe it was 2 expansions.

They go out with each pre patch so the X.0 patch. During Legion they did do a 2nd one around the time ToV came out though, so they could end up doing another, I wouldn't count on it though. I know there are a few names I just check every so often which is how I saw the names free'd up around ToV.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed. Was gonna race change my rogue to a female Mag'har and had a perfect name which could work for both genders in the future, but sadly it was taken.
    I have an alternate spelling of the name with just one extra letter, but it looks better with just one "o" over "ou".

- - - Updated - - -

x
    The account has to be inactive for the previous 2 expansions, so all of WoD and Legion. Players coming back for trails will reset it too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Knowing several languages always helps :P
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We do not assist with releasing inactive character names. Names automatically become available if the account that holds the name has remained inactive for the past two expansions.

(Source)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I asked a GM this at release, seemingly its a system that never really worked as intended and has been "on their radar" to get fixed since they introduced it back in whenever it was.
    So i highly doubt it ever worked automatically, and im 90% sure it never will. So no point in trying anymore. Start liking ´`^¨

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We do not assist with releasing inactive character names. Names automatically become available if the account that holds the name has remained inactive for the past two expansions.

(Source)
    Ah, I meant the part about 5 months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I meant the part about 5 months ago.
    That isn't announced I think, but as a roleplayer, you can usually guess a release happened recently when the more rare names have started to reappear as active.

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    I asked a GM this at release, seemingly its a system that never really worked as intended and has been "on their radar" to get fixed since they introduced it back in whenever it was.
    So i highly doubt it ever worked automatically, and im 90% sure it never will. So no point in trying anymore. Start liking ´`^¨
    From their first blog post about this it didn't seem to be supposed to work automatically. They just stated they'd unlock names at the start of each expansion going forward.

Made two posts on the official EU forums and hopefully a blue will clear this out. Otherwise I'll just make a ticket anyway and hope for the best.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Allowing us to use ' in a name (like Shal'aran or something similar) would instantly fix the issue of not being able to create a decent name. I for one do not like using é or á etc.

For example, FFXIV allows the use of ' and also - to separate words, if I recall correctly.

Deleted
    Yup, at about the same date the 1st allied races were made available during Antorus.

That was also the time anyone who caught wind of it reserved all the "cool names". :P

It seems it have not yet been done in BfA or will be done a second time.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622582504

Or well, there is a chance it have not went out yet.
    Last edited by Knslyr; 2018-09-12 at 07:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Knowing several languages always helps :P
    I know Dutch, English, German and French, but I am not just picking a random word... I am still being ridiculed over the fact that I have a shaman on my account called Dinnertable I prefer to have normal names, but sometimes the quest for normal names without weird accents is hard ... #NoAccents

I seriously wish Blizzard would implement a last name system or something similar to SWtoR, where you have a Legacy name or something :|

Edit: 2 expansions a a long time though. I know people treasure their names, but to cater to a non-paying customer for 4 years over someone who's actively playing just seems kind of weird.
    Last edited by Detheavn; 2018-09-12 at 01:13 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I managed to snag Waagh which used to be taken for my Orc Shadow Priest so something must have happened but it could have simply been the person giving up the name.

It's not the right name but if I believe it to be right then it is.

- - - Updated - - -

II seriously wish Blizzard would implement a last name system or something similar to SWtoR, where you have a Legacy name or something :|
    This too. It'd be a great way to make rep improvements too since all your characters are attached.

"Oh you're their relative, here let me give you bonus reputation rewards"
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    This too. It'd be a great way to make rep improvements too since all your characters are attached.

"Oh you're their relative, here let me give you bonus reputation rewards"
    I didn't even think about it that way, but I like this

From their first blog post about this it didn't seem to be supposed to work automatically. They just stated they'd unlock names at the start of each expansion going forward.

Made two posts on the official EU forums and hopefully a blue will clear this out. Otherwise I'll just make a ticket anyway and hope for the best.
    i made a ticket to get my name, hence why i know about it, they wont free, the dude legit told me to "try to make the char everyday til it works smile" So i highly doubt it has ever worked, will ever work or that they care about fixing it.