Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Classic as AU Azeroth?

Would you enjoy or support the idea if Classic ended up becoming alternate universe Azeroth? I know most people despise AU Draenor, but since they already made the timeline murky with AU Draenor, I don't see how much harm it could be done to actually show us AU Azeroth in Classic, AS Classic. I know it won't happen since it would require changing a lot, pretty much all of the ramifications of the Third War? (No Lich King, no Undead, etc.) So yeah, this is highly hypothetical. What if they had chosen Classic to take on a different story path than main timeline?

This idea is antithetical of what Classic is supposed to be. There is not supposed to be progression, or expansions, or new content. It is supposed to be a time capsule snapshot for people to dive into so they can experience the unpolished baseline version of the game, and that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having classic as AU Azeroth would mean the need to implement a lot of tools that is currently on live that people doesn't like. So, no. Classic is running as its own standalone museum tour.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    That wouldn't even make any sense in lore, as the AU Azeroth was never attacked by the Orcish Horde of Draenor.

It experienced a completely different timeline thanks to Garrosh's intervention.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    That wouldn't even make any sense in lore, as the AU Azeroth was never attacked by the Orcish Horde of Draenor.

It experienced a completely different timeline thanks to Garrosh's intervention.
    You are aware there is more than a singular AU Azeroth right?
    There is an AU Azeroth where after Cairne was killed by Garrosh, Baine challenged Garrosh to Mak'gora AND KILLED HIM. Baine took over as Warchief. This is a canon alternate universe.
    There is an AU Azeroth where Thrall never escaped Durnholde and serves Blackmoore and never became a Shaman.

Read War Crimes.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You are aware there is more than a singular AU Azeroth right?
    There is an AU Azeroth where after Cairne was killed by Garrosh, Baine challenged Garrosh to Mak'gora AND KILLED HIM. Baine took over as Warchief. This is a canon alternate universe.
    There is an AU Azeroth where Thrall never escaped Durnholde and serves Blackmoore and never became a Shaman.

Read War Crimes.
    Whoa, I wasn't a huge fan of the introduction of alternate universes in WoW but if they did one, might as well go nuts and explore multiple realities. An universe where Baine actually grew a set? Inconceivable!

If they were to open up a set of servers that remained separate from Classic and added more level 60 content as an AU... that may be interesting. But I doubt they would.

How about one where they made the South Sea's expansion first

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    This idea is antithetical of what Classic is supposed to be. There is not supposed to be progression, or expansions, or new content. It is supposed to be a time capsule snapshot for people to dive into so they can experience the unpolished baseline version of the game, and that's it.
    How did i miss this FANTASTIC post. You put into words what i have tried to explain to others, and for that, i thank you. Id makes me a little sad to think that after announcement, one of the most popular topics has been "omg what about bc! what about releasing MORE content!"

You totally get it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    How did i miss this FANTASTIC post. You put into words what i have tried to explain to others, and for that, i thank you. Id makes me a little sad to think that after announcement, one of the most popular topics has been "omg what about bc! what about releasing MORE content!"

You totally get it.
    I mean, releasing TBC as separate servers from Classic is a viable option that I hope they do.

And again, if they were to keep it limited to separate servers from Classic, then having a set of separate servers for more level 60 content would be interesting... but since Blizzard is likely going to be doing a minimum amount of work to get Classic up it seems extremely unlikely.

I would be alright with it added on later but as it's own seperate thing.

Deleted
    How about we just get Classic as it was with some fixes? Fucking cunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Having classic as AU Azeroth would mean the need to implement a lot of tools that is currently on live that people doesn't like. So, no. Classic is running as its own standalone museum tour.
    Well we know it will have all the battle.net features so that already is changing it a lot, and I can guarantee transmogrify looks will unlock for your entire account when you play classic and obtain gear you don't have the look for too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Would you enjoy or support the idea if Classic ended up becoming alternate universe Azeroth? I know most people despise AU Draenor, but since they already made the timeline murky with AU Draenor, I don't see how much harm it could be done to actually show us AU Azeroth in Classic, AS Classic. I know it won't happen since it would require changing a lot, pretty much all of the ramifications of the Third War? (No Lich King, no Undead, etc.) So yeah, this is highly hypothetical. What if they had chosen Classic to take on a different story path than main timeline?
    I think this is actually a really cool idea - I don't think it'll be the case, but a really cool idea. I personally don't hate AU Draenor, though; I hate WoD generally but the world they created there was a beautiful, fascinating concept that I only wish Blizzard had actualised better, in storytelling and gameplay aspects. Even its future, in the Mag'har scenario, I love the 'time fold' idea that we're returning only a couple of years later in relative terms, but as we're now returning to 'present AU-Draenor' rather than WoD's 30-years-ago AU-Draenor, there have been developments and changes in that world taking place over the span of 3 decades while we spent a year or two fighting the Legion - and the cosmic, interdimensional repercussions of our defeat of the dimensionally-transcendant Legion, how that impacts the development of AU-Draenor without a Legion to return to attack their world, it's all very thought-provoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Tydrane View Post
    I think this is actually a really cool idea - I don't think it'll be the case, but a really cool idea. I personally don't hate AU Draenor, though; I hate WoD generally but the world they created there was a beautiful, fascinating concept that I only wish Blizzard had actualised better, in storytelling and gameplay aspects. Even its future, in the Mag'har scenario, I love the 'time fold' idea that we're returning only a couple of years later in relative terms, but as we're now returning to 'present AU-Draenor' rather than WoD's 30-years-ago AU-Draenor, there have been developments and changes in that world taking place over the span of 3 decades while we spent a year or two fighting the Legion - and the cosmic, interdimensional repercussions of our defeat of the dimensionally-transcendant Legion, how that impacts the development of AU-Draenor without a Legion to return to attack their world, it's all very thought-provoking.
    Yeah, as much as I disliked WoD as an expansion due to garrisons and lack of content and new features to say the least, and kind of disliked the idea of journeying through Draenor (Nagrand is like identical almost to Outland's Nagrand for instance, so it felt... rehashed), what they created and the potential to impact even the main universe is intriguing. Durotan and Draka had a daughter, not a son, for instance, and she's coming to main universe Azeroth, which created a whole new character, with a different personality and aesthetic while still maintaining the echo of Thrall, arguably Warcraft's heart. On the flip side, seeing what became of AU Azeroth intrigues me by that end. An Azeroth free of Undead, no Scarlet Crusade, no Lich King, little Legion impact (if any?), makes you wonder if the Alliance of Lordaeron and Arthas is ruling as king with even Varian perhaps still alive and Daelin Proudmoore, so many endless possibilities I hope they explore.

It would be a good idea. The adding of new content specifically for Classic servers that have progressed, expansions or just raids, while always maintaining a few that never progress past naxx, is just good business sense. It allows Blizzard to double dip with very minimal commitment to being creative.

That said the new content should keep the core tenets of Vanilla's rule set and not branch out into changing things, altering, QoL, and instead keep the feel and rules of Vanilla but a new playground to use those rules in. It would bring even more people into the fold, and just make good money. I only worry that current Blizzard isn't up to the task.

Deleted
    So would the burning Legion be defeated there too? It would be soooo confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Whoa, I wasn't a huge fan of the introduction of alternate universes in WoW but if they did one, might as well go nuts and explore multiple realities. An universe where Baine actually grew a set? Inconceivable!
    There was one where Thrall died as a baby. Blackmoore sobered up, hired an army, conquered the orcs, killed Doomhammer, took his weapon, smelted down the doomplate for his own armor, conquered Lordaeron killing Terenas. Set himself up as King of Lordaeron while Jaina and Arthas fled to Stormwind where Varian took them in and later had a kid. The Infinites brought this Blackmoore to our universe to murder Thrall because he was prophesized to be the one to take down Deathwing.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. Any new content that could go to classic (new lands, dungeons or whatever) should be instead be in Retail WoW.

Classic Players want Classic WoW, nothing more, nothing less. Please don't ruin that wish.