Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Void elves should be more stable than Illidari & Elves were the right choice for both

Whenever I'm reminded of demon hunters, I would go a bit further and predict void elves are more stable. The whole point off Alleria's journey, the quests and the void elf intro, is to show you these guys can actually deal with the whispers in a more permanent way. This is not like the void purged kro'kul Alleria meets, that barely hangs on only to eventually give in, or Cho'gall and his mad cultist that have clearly and willingly given in to the madness. Here I predict blizzard are defining a more permanent thing almost as if to say they can't give in to the whispers, this is what sets the locus walker ethereal apart, there is a certain state or level in void interaction you reach to be classified as able to resist the whispers, Alleria is the first mortal and the void elves are the first race of people to do that.

I would like to see blizzard flesh this out properly either by a deeper explanation or sequence of events that will show void elves will not or even cannot fall to the whispers. The Illidari seem on more of a knife edge, even though those who complete training are able to master the demon within,taking a very skilled deceiver like Kil'jaeden or some extra ordinary circumstance to turn them evil legion style.

The Illidari And now Void elves are proof elves have a high tolerance and affinity to magic that can allow them to handle dangerous stuff like the fel and the void without getting corrupt, it is a boon for them and fitting because we use to think elves were the most easily corrupted or altered by magic. They can be, like we see with the night elves in Azshara, the highborne Naga, satyrs and the nightborne withered state, and also the children of the highborne, (The Thalssians) via the Wretched state, but the opposite is also true, they can also withstand and beat the corruption or madness of some of the most seductive magical powers, like fel and the void. And it is fitting, that if they can get quite corrupted, they can also get quite resilient in a way other races can't .

Remember the night elves are born of magic, they have a special relationship to it that is part of every elven group( since all elves are variations of night elves), yes, even the alliance kaldorei group whom contrary to popular belief, do have a very high magic affinity that is not lost or missing, and again contrary to popular belief, Thalassian elves are only a minor variation of them. For all we laugh at the night elves for the hubris and recklessness that led to the legion, we almost never bear in mind the extraordinary capacity to handle an intense torrent of arcane safely, without destroying themselves or blowing up their empire, they knew how to use magic expertly and were supremely confident in their ability, until that crossed over into over confidence, leading to recklessness and then those who thought themselves beyond corruption had fallen to it, and now this is the only aspect most fans remember or even know of their magical achievements and capability, that is until Illidan Stormrage comes at first and proves you can handle fel without the corruption of your soul and beat the demon within, then Alleria Windrunner comes and shows that the same elves can handle the void too, successfully without giving in, it is the sort of level of skill you expect of an elf,.

What I would like to see is an insanely powerful elven arcane user on the scene. Elisande could have been one, except she is only an echo now - unless they restore her. A great candidate would be Prince Farondis, the elves could do with an arcane champion ... especially after the string of humans (Aegwyn, Medivh, Jaina, Khadgar).

I would also love to see a Thalassian magic champion too, they have one for hunter and Paladin, but none for priest, mage or warlocks. Arthas Sunreaver could be used for mage.

Archangel Azshara/Illidan level - Farondis
    Fire mage - Thalassian Blood Elf
    Frost Mage - Thalassian Void Elf
    Arcane Mage - Shal'dorei Night Elf

Destruction Warlock - Thalassian Blood Elf
    Affliction Warlock - Thalassian Void Elf
    Demonology Warlock - Shal'dorei Night elf

High Priestess - Tyrande Whisperwind
    Discipline Priest - Thalassian Blood Elf
    Holy Priest - Kaldorei Night Elf
    Shadow Priest - Thalassian Void Elf

Arch Druid - Malfurion Stormrage
    Balance Druid - kal'dorei Night Elf
    Resto Druid - Kaldorei Night Elf

Did you need to make a new thread for something that you already posted somewhere else?

You kind of rambled around a bit there so I'm not entirely sure what your point was, and I don't know what your little chart at the end is supposed to signify.

But it is canon that humans are generally better than elves at handling arcane magic, as the original Arathi wizards progressed at a rate that shocked their high elf teachers. And Jaina obviously is powerful enough to scare even Thalyssra, which we can either complain about or just move on and accept that she really is that badass.

And I kind of hope for the opposite for void elves: I'd like to see at least one of them go completely off the rails and set off a full Old God tentacle-ridden event in the middle of Stormwind. It would shock their new allies, raise questions as to the wisdom of allowing them into the Alliance, and in doing so add some much needed uncertainty to the Alliance's usual lily-white boring dynamic.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Demon hunters: battle with their own power trips but after coming so far and giving up so much, they stick to the path they've chosen

Void elves: nearly fall in the Sunwell and summons void monstrosities then say l0l idk????

Yeah I think I know which I'd trust more.

I assume that Lady Alleria Windrunner is the most promising leader of the Alliance. Not only is her sanity stable and her resolve strengthened, but she is by far the best ally to have during a future invasion of the Void Lords. I mean, who is going to stop them? Certainly not golden boy, or his uncle wolf, or some vainglorious night elves with an inferiority complex, or an old draenei. No. It will be the first mortal in the history of the cosmos to successfully defy the shadows' whispers.

Alleria will play a pivotal role in the future of the cosmos, mark my words, and may very well be the sole hope of salvation for everyone, given her key knowledge and unique powers that will no doubt be of great use against the Void Lords, and the fact that she single-handedly consumed the heart of the nefarious dying naaru L'ura.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    ... Lady Alleria Windrunner ... her sanity stable ... she is by far the best ally to have during a future invasion of the Void Lords. .... It will be the first mortal in the history of the cosmos to successfully defy the shadows' whispers.
    Here is where i disagree with you. Her sanity is far from stable, and void elves have more in common with demon hunters than with blood or high elves.
    either the demons or the void daily push their sanity to the limits. There are some who give in (we have seen lots of demon hunters losing control in Legion for example), and clearly Alleria is fighting the void's insanity every single day. If something happens to her son or her husand's holy power begins to conflict with her void energies, she might give in to insanity and can become a monstruous void aberration hard to beat (see Garrosh and the heart of the old god as an example).

Not sure what Blizzard wants for her yet, if her damnation, her sacrifice for a greater goal or turning her into a powerful weapon against the void.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Whenever I'm reminded of demon hunters, I would go a bit further and predict void elves are more stable.
    I'm not sure if they are more stable than demon hunters. I see them both daily struggling with their inner demons, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Alleria will play a pivotal role in the future of the cosmos, mark my words
    Quoting for when she goes batshit crazy and becomes a raid boss so I can come back to this and have a chuckle.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    You kind of rambled around a bit there so I'm not entirely sure what your point was, and I don't know what your little chart at the end is supposed to signify.

But it is canon that humans are generally better than elves at handling arcane magic, as the original Arathi wizards progressed at a rate that shocked their high elf teachers. And Jaina obviously is powerful enough to scare even Thalyssra, which we can either complain about or just move on and accept that she really is that badass.

And I kind of hope for the opposite for void elves: I'd like to see at least one of them go completely off the rails and set off a full Old God tentacle-ridden event in the middle of Stormwind. It would shock their new allies, raise questions as to the wisdom of allowing them into the Alliance, and in doing so add some much needed uncertainty to the Alliance's usual lily-white boring dynamic.
    Ramblings? Such are the musings of an impassioned mind.

However all that is canon is that High elves were shocked at how talented humans were at magic - I would hardly translate that to humans are better than elves at magic. I could think of a number of reasons that could surprise the elves so.

One of them was that elves hadn't met any race so far that could wield arcane with such talent - not trolls, tauren, earthen, and so to find humans so good was a surprise. A shock that a race other than an elf could wield the arcane so well, not that they were better, i would say they were nearly as good to shock the elves. You can imagine that until they met the humans, no other race came close.

Also just cause High elves were impressed doesn't mean a night elf arcane user like any of your highborne, Moonguardnor nightborne would have been.

High elves I think had an overly cautious approach to magic, I think in part because the price of recklessness had been witnessed to calamitous extents by their ancestors, and part of Darth'remars's entire goal was a magical society that would be able to practice the arcane without the burning legion.

I think until they became blood elves and cast off the high elven mindset, they were very cautious, with the awareness of the Legion looking out and the kaldorei actively suppressing open uses of the arcane to prevent Azeroth from being detected, they had become clipped, this changes with becoming blood elves, where they go all out, and don't care, magic is a tool to use and whether demon or scourge they will never let their ideals drive them to the brink of extinction again.

Illidari and nightborne also would have that no bar approach, but nightborne are in the pre-sundering kaldorei mindset, they are not as driven as blood elves, but Illidari are the most driven of the elven groups. Kaldorei on the other hand would be the highborne shen'dralar who joined the alliance night elves and the Moonguard would be ones with a wise approach of learning the lessons of hubris, even with the Legion gone I don't think they would ever be wasteful or reckless with magic, they actually witnessed the sundering and lived in the aftermath, coming from a world wide civilization that was like Suramar all over, they are not descendants.

Humans on the other hand had no such baggage, no idea of how this awesome juice could be so dangerous because of who was lurking out there, it was human experimentation behind the watchful eyes of their elven teachers that attracted the Legion again.

When we eventually find out humans titan origins, it explains why they are good at magic, talented too, but not to the level of elves. The night elves were dark trolls who were further remade by magic in magic. All elves have this affinity

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Ravenmoon threads are kinda like Guy Ritchie movies. You always get the general idea of what he wants to say, but the more you read the more absurd it gets.

OT: No, i think not. If anything they should pipe down with elves of any kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a blood elf main but you elf rp posters need to dial this shit down tbh

Thanks to Lord Illidan and the Illidari we won the war against the Legion!

go pray to a void lord

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I'm a blood elf main but you elf rp posters need to dial this shit down tbh
    I don't think they can hear you. Once you enter hell of elf RP you can never come back.

They aren't and this is ENTIRELY why making them a playable race was a mistake: It severely limits their role in the narrative of the game and erases what could have been a potentially amazing lore set up for a future expansion.

They have the literal void eroding the edges of their mind constantly. Demon hunters can likely get by with enough self control... void elves will eventually lose that self control.

or, at least ya know, that would be the case but now we have playable void elves with mary sue levels of resistance to the void. either that or they go through with the pay off of all the void elves get corrupted and killed off (including alleria) and NPCs refuse to acknowledge a sadly large amount of player characters as void elves because canonically none exist after a certain point of the story.

neither is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    They aren't and this is ENTIRELY why making them a playable race was a mistake: It severely limits their role in the narrative of the game and erases what could have been a potentially amazing lore set up for a future expansion.

They have the literal void eroding the edges of their mind constantly. Demon hunters can likely get by with enough self control... void elves will eventually lose that self control.

or, at least ya know, that would be the case but now we have playable void elves with mary sue levels of resistance to the void. either that or they go through with the pay off of all the void elves get corrupted and killed off (including alleria) and NPCs refuse to acknowledge a sadly large amount of player characters as void elves because canonically none exist after a certain point of the story.

neither is a good option.
    They only exist because blizz wanted to make them for a playable race. Otherwise we'd just have voidy Alleria. They needed a fourth Legion allied race and so made up void elves to balance out Nightborne. I doubt blizzard would have ever made void elves if not for the purpose of rounding out allied races.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I don't think they can hear you. Once you enter hell of elf RP you can never come back.
    Maybe void elves are a metaphor of elf RP being a void that corrupts your sanity?

Void elves should be more stable
    What??
    They come off as the most unhinged group of people yet.

1) You seem like an RP poster, so that already makes what you're posting here seem sus as fuck.

2) The Void is based in insanity, and you think they're more stable? lmaoooooo

There must always be a Kerrigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Well, I would love Alleria to slip in some near future, lose her grip on the Void and accidentially demolish half of Stormwind. So Alliance players would get some internal drama. :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Ravenmoon threads are kinda like Guy Ritchie movies. You always get the general idea of what he wants to say, but the more you read the more absurd it gets.

OT: No, i think not. If anything they should pipe down with elves of any kind.
    I was imagining that was my elf hate bias here let me to think that, but i guess im not the only one