Poll: Should you be expected to learn English if you live and work in the US?

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-Nicø View Post
    >Quote a 12 lines long post to respond with 2.
    >Selfawarness -100

>Keep trying to label everyone as triggered when is obviously buthurt, triggered and "on of these guys".
    >Selfawarness -500
    Ah but see, here's your problem. You're strawmanning the self awareness thing and throwing out baseless petty 'insults' about quoting.

I just originally put out a statement about people being hypocrites and triggered about the topic, and you went out of your way to go ballistic, and attack everything but the topic at hand.

Thus, as I've said, and as you've proven me right by you flaring up at every little detail you're obviously upset that she refused to serve an English speaker, and given your post, it's also very clear why.

But keep deflecting, making up BS to attack my posting and going "NO U", it's really helping you look calm and rational about the topic. I'm sure you've really convinced a lot of people that you're not upset lol

Only read the first few pages so sorry if someone already posted this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida

Languages
    See also: Demographics of Florida § Languages, and Miami accent

In 1988, English was affirmed as the state's official language in the Florida Constitution. Spanish is also widely spoken, especially as immigration has continued from Latin America.[181] Twenty percent of the population speak Spanish as their first language. Twenty-seven percent of Florida's population reports speaking a mother language other than English, and more than 200 first languages other than English are spoken at home in the state.[182][183]

The most common languages spoken in Florida as a first language in 2010 are:[182]

73% — English
    20% — Spanish
    2% — Haitian Creole
    Other languages comprise less than 1% spoken by the state's population

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    lot of whining and pathetic attempt at witticisms
    TLDR.

You aren't as smart as your mom keep telling you.
    Stop trying you are embarrassing yourself.

I'm sorry, I'll slow down for you.

You replied to whoever it was in an offended manner by trying to flip the situation and throwing out a derogatory "how progressive" in a sarcastic manner, implying that you disagreed with his statement that it was OK to refuse service to English speakers.

I pointed out that it was hypocritical of you to disagree with that statement, due to your past support of refusing service to others based on personal 'religious' beliefs, and your current inability to deny that you supported such denial of service in following posts. Posts where instead of unilaterally denying having supported past support for service denial, you have proceeded to belittle the claim with foul language and afterwards deflected, sea-lioned and ending with falsely claiming ignorance to the topic as hand, as is the habitual case with your posting when backed in an argumentative corner.

Is that broken down slowly and easily enough for you?
    You see little buddy, you don't even understanding what you are arguing. The baker didn't refuse service to a person because they are gay, he would bake birthday cakes for gay people all day long, he just wouldn't bake a certain cake. I straight person could come in and ask for a gay wedding cake for a friend and he still wouldn't bake it

Second of all I never defended his bigotry, only explained countless times the difference to people like you who have a trouble understanding logic.

Is that slow enough for you? Should I draw you a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You see little buddy, you don't even understanding what you are arguing. The baker didn't refuse service to a person because they are gay, he would bake birthday cakes for gay people all day long, he just wouldn't bake a certain cake. I straight person could come in and ask for a gay wedding cake for a friend and he still wouldn't bake it

Second of all I never defended his bigotry, only explained countless times the difference to people like you who have a trouble understanding logic.

The baker refused service to them, because he's a homophobic bigot who doesn't like gay people.

Yes, he did it because they were gay. He can only tolerate them to such a degree.

- - - Updated - - -

TLDR.

Says the guy who couldn't be bothered to read a half-dozen lines.

Oh, the irony...

The answer to the poll - yes.
    OT of the worker: If he can't speak other language there is no way he can serve the customer. If he could and was paid to serve the customer then fire him, simple as that. Unless the brand decides to stop serving such people (which IMO should never be prohibited, you serve whoever the hell u want) the workers are probably obliged to serve and if they don't like it they can change jobs.
    S.H.

The persistent extremist right wing bs on this board sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    The persistent extremist left wing bs on this board sickens me.
    I fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Well in Miami you aren’t the majority. So I guess you should get over it?
    Wow. Good job marginalizing a minority there.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account

"He wouldn't refuse them service because they were gay, he just didn't want to bake a cake displaying two gay people"
    That ends up as the same conclusion, he refused them service based on baselss personal beliefs about same sex marriage.

Just like the Taco Bell lady wouldn't have denied the guy service had he asked for his cheesy vomit burritos in Spanish. It's not the fact that he speaks English that's the problem, just that he didn't order in Spanish. Just like you're arguing that it's not that they're gay that's the problem, just that they ordered a wedding cake.

And I'm sure you never defended the baker, just like you're a Woke Independent that never defends the person in your profile picture

- - - Updated - - -

TLDR.

Good comeback, broooooo.

Continue proving me right by being petty, and obviously beign upset at the whole situation and conversation.

No, the shop stated that no one there speaks english. That is a lot different from saying that they refused to serve her because they assumed she knew Spanish.

Also no english speaker hired? That happens in an area where the vast majority only speaks Spanish.

If there are no English speaking applicant for a job should they wait until one appears and in the meantime force the additional workload on the other employes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    She did deserve to be fired.
    Maybe, but I doubt any of the other employees there were any better. And whoever they hire next will most likely be the same, so there's no point in firing her. While I do believe they should have some basic english skills, since we only see the interaction at the window of the drive thru (rather than the initial order taking atempt at the speaker), there was probably some intricacies to the customers orders that simply did not translate, and who knows what attitude the customers had before filming. "Customer service" is important, but how much is to be expected from a Taco Bell?

But that said, if someone came into a restaurant in my area and didn't speak english, and we couldn't take their order, while we would do our best to tell her we can't take her order, it would seem rude at first as we struggle to figure out how to tell someone who doesn't speak english "We are unable to serve you" without being able to speak their language.
    As I mentioned, aside from charades, I just used google translate with some chinese people a few days ago. When I worked at McD's decades ago, we had picture menus too.

There are probably apps for this that would have resolved everything, but the fact remains - No matter what you do, it's going to be rude that you are unable to respond to people if there's a language barrier. Spanish and English aren't similar enough where you can make everything a 1-1 translation, and it sounds like she had a line.
    You're right that there are a lot of differences, but there's enough similarities that if you want to find some share-words it's usually possible. I've dealt with folks from South America that will take a minute to try to bridge the gap with me so we can understand each other. But there's also plenty that just think speaking more spanish faster will somehow make me suddenly understand them and get an attitude since I don't understand them.

In this situation, the customer could probably have made their point clear if they had gone inside and worked it out, rather than trying to yell through the speaker with a language barrier. The cashier could have made some basic efforts at learning the dominant language of the country, or at least enough to do her job. At the end of the day, it's a Taco Bell in Hialeah and not that big a deal.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

"He wouldn't refuse them service because they were gay, he just didn't want to bake a cake displaying two gay people"
    That ends up as the same conclusion, he refused them service based on baselss personal beliefs about same sex marriage.

Just like the Taco Bell lady wouldn't have denied the guy service had he asked for his cheesy vomit burritos in Spanish. It's not the fact that he speaks English that's the problem, just that he didn't order in Spanish. Just like you're arguing that it's not that they're gay that's the problem, just that they ordered a wedding cake.

And I'm sure you never defended the baker, just like you're a Woke Independent that never defends the person in your profile picture

- - - Updated - - -

Good comeback, broooooo.

Continue proving me right by being petty, and obviously beign upset at the whole situation and conversation.
    You seem to have a trouble reading, you did a "Ha gotacha" moment when in no way have I defended the baker, it's sad you keep going after that point, I am not even addressing your lack of logic comparing a cheesy burrito to a wedding cake I am keeping it simple for you to understand.

Seriously give it up, you made up your own argument that you're losing, I'm not even the only one pointing this out to you.

The discrepancy between the posters and the poll is quite interesting. From reading responses in this thread, it seems closer to 50-50 than to 82-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodaline View Post
    Five bucks says the worker actually knows English, or can at least understand it, and is being a shit. USA really needs to have English as national language. We are totally losing the soul of the country by not trying to actually have a cultural history.

Of course, MY solution, being a native Floridian, is to speak slowly, horribly accented, BAD Spanish that is SO BAD that they admit to knowing English.

But, how hard is "Yo quiero numero uno, suave taco suprema, y Pepsi. Gracias." Then hand her a 20.

The soil of the country is being lost sounds like racist bullshit a racist xenophobic person says.

This countries soul is French Spanish and English. It kills me when people live in historical Spanish speaking areas and bitch they’re speaking Spanish. It is fucking retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    The soil of the country is being lost sounds like racist bullshit a racist xenophobic person says.

This countries soul is French Spanish and English. It kills me when people live in historical Spanish speaking areas and bitch they’re speaking Spanish. It is fucking retarded.
    Miami didn't really have a large Hispanic population until the 60s.

I Wish they try that in My Country

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have a trouble reading, you did a "Ha gotacha" moment when in no way have I defended the baker, it's sad you keep going after that point, I am not even addressing your lack of logic comparing a cheesy burrito to a wedding cake I am keeping it simple for you to understand.

Seriously give it up, you made up your own argument that you're losing, I'm not even the only one pointing this out to you.
    Oh great, you're on the "NO UR WROGN" phase already.

You've yet to provide any argument for why the comparisons would be bad. All you're doing is saying they are without backing up as to why. (Probably because you can't and know they're valid, but w/e I'm used to it with you).

Come back when you can say anything of value on the topic at hand.

Simple solution walk in the store and point to what you want. Or hold up fingers representing the number of the meal, and hand the worker your payment.

Gosh, what does everyone else do when they travel outside of the US for vacation?

Oh great, you're on the "NO UR WROGN" phase already.

You've yet to provide any argument for why the comparisons would be bad. All you're doing is saying they are without backing up as to why. (Probably because you can't and know they're valid, but w/e I'm used to it with you).

Come back when you can say anything of value on the topic at hand.
    LOL you again made up your own argument, proved you was wrong and you are sticking with it.