Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are JRPGs real video games?

I just can't get over that official statement where Riot Games was on the phone about employing someone and when that person responded he has a history with JRPGs as a favorite genre, that Riot employee said if the person has any expertise with real games like Counter Strike and Call of Duty.

JRPGs are a widely derided genre outside that, anyway. So do they qualify as games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    No, they are imaginary video games. They don't exist in reality.

Seriously what kind of question is that ?

Are dumb questions real questions?

No, they're all fake.

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Deleted
    I'm assuming Riot meant games that were similar to League, I.E. the mainstream, competitive team based kind, because being just that I imagine League needs devs/artists/etc that know how to work within those parameters.

But that's guesswork.

Also yes, JRPGs are real games, they're just god awful.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
    This is the only correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I'm assuming Riot meant games that were similar to League, I.E. the mainstream, competitive team based kind, because being just that I imagine League needs devs/artists/etc that know how to work within those parameters.

But that's guesswork.

Also yes, JRPGs are real games, they're just god awful.
    Very debatable.

Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Persona, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean to name a few are some pretty great JRPG series imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Very debatable.

Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, Persona, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean to name a few are some pretty great JRPG series imo.
    Yes, it's a subjective opinion you're right the last part was mostly a meme

They're just not my thing
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2018-09-17 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    JRPGs are a widely derided genre outside that, anyway. So do they qualify as games?
    Of course they do. Some of the first “big” games were JRPGs, because they worked so well on the 8/16bit consoles.

I’m assuming the Riot employee meant they’re not COMPETITIVE games, which are totally different ballgames when it comes to balance etc.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I must be a crazy person playing with myself while imagining I was playing Ni No Kuni 2 and Dragon Quest XI recently...

Of course they're real games, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

As already mentioned by others, guess they meant games that are more akin to what they work on. But if a Riot employee actually said that CS and what not are real games, thusly insinuating that JRPGs are not, then that employee sounds like bit of a dumb dumb to me.

Should've just asked if they had experience with a certain genre or games similar to *insert game title here*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh that riot dev comes off sounding a bit daft considering JRPGS generally go quite deep into character statistic and ability balancing and interaction for the individual jobs/classes/characters and enemies. I'd also say they do that more so than Counter Strike guns and Call of Duty abilities do. Also if it was from an art standpoint that would also come off quite stupid considering the amount of influence Riot games' game takes influence from. Or is there some news I'm missing where Riot is coming out with an FPS?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    They don't think it be like it is but it do.

Just like all videogame genre, JRPG are a made up category based on observable recurring trends and mechanics.
    So yeah, JRPG is a thing. And NO it's not just a RPG made in Japan.

Also, that stuff about Riot is just YET another stuff that poped up recently pointing toward the fact that Riot is a shit company that will most likely go down as soon as LoL has fully exited the mainstream mind (and it's already in good way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Because as a developer, coding a turn based JRPG is 100000000x easier than creating a real time environment with real time interaction with other players. Everyone creates a turn based game as their first game. It doenst mean they cant be good games, but from a technical stand point, they are "beginner" apps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Because as a developer, coding a turn based JRPG is 100000000x easier than creating a real time environment with real time interaction with other players. Everyone creates a turn based game as their first game. It doenst mean they cant be good games, but from a technical stand point, they are "beginner" apps.
    Are you sure its jRPGs and not bethesda games ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, Pokemon, but you're not a real video game
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

From the perspective of a real-time multiplayer game, RPGs aren't real games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

Since when are JRPGs (or RPG in general) limited to turn based gameplay and combat?