Thread: Warlock Vs Mage

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    A good chunk of vanilla is leveling. Since mages have infinite food in a game where you need to eat every other fight, its really convenient and saves a ton of time. Speaking of time, having access to every major city is great as well, since there aren't portals littered everywhere. Warlocks, by comparison, are the exact opposite. They have to farm soul shards for hours just to be effective. Since you aren't planning on raiding, I would say mage. Warlocks really shine in the big group, where their summoning and ritual of doom shine, and if you get in good with a healer you can easily pull the best dps in the raid with them watching your back. But for casual play, go mage. They SAVE time while warlocks TAKE time
    Warlocks don't need to drink or eat though

Deleted
    I mained warlock all through vanilla and /played over 120 days. I was in the top guild on my realm and managed to clear Naxx including 1 kill of KT.
    I played mage as alt and reached about level 45.

Mages were fun for leveling, I played frost. The frost nova and then bolt crits were lots of fun. Running in to melee in wPvP in STV was fun, kiting and blinking etc. I can't comment much on endgame, but our mages always did lots of damage and were at the top of our DPS meters with the rogues. Overall mages were a strong and fun class in vanilla, and I don't think many people would regret maining one.

Warlocks were a blast leveling, one of the strongest solo classes for sure thanks to the voidwalker. PvP generally was good, except for against rogues which were our bane. Warlocks eat casters for lunch though and hunters and other melee than rogues were a fair fight. When I was geared in Naxx gear my shadow bolts hit for over 1k normal and 2k crits, considering a fresh level 60 had just about 2k hp overall it could get a bit ridiculous in wPvP at that stage. Seduce, shadow bolt, seduce shadow bolt, deathcoil or shadow burn... too easy.

Endgame as awarlock for me seems to be a different expereince than a lot of the other posts I read about warlocks in vanilla. I don't know if it's because most people posting have played on private servers and had a different experience than the 'real' vanilla, or if our guild was fast in progression before certain patches and changes. But our warlocks were always bottom of the damage meters (of the DPS classes). The huge problems were aggro, shadow bolt basically being a taunt spell especially with the amount of spell damage we accumulated as high end raiders. We were forced by the guild to spec for MD/ruin to get -20% aggro with pet out as any other spec would make us overaggro so easy.

Another problem was mana issues, you could only cast a few shadow bolts before going oom and needing to life tap to full mana again which is A) 0 damage time, inefficient for DPS and B) a strain on your healers, especially during cutting edge progression raids where the healers are already under tremendous pressure.

So my vanilla experience raiding as a warlock was ok, but also quite frustrating because I was never allowed to reach my full DPS potential and had to accept my lowly position in our charts.
    Last edited by mmocff555210cb; 2018-09-18 at 06:17 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Warlocks don't need to drink or eat though
    Yes they do... Alot...
    Not as often, but when they do they need to do both, cause they have used all their mana, and all their health to get more mana then used it all again.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    I mained warlock all through vanilla and /played over 120 days. I was in the top guild on my realm and managed to clear Naxx including 1 kill of KT.
    I played mage as alt and reached about level 45.

Mages were fun for leveling, I played frost. The frost nova and then bolt crits were lots of fun. Running in to melee in wPvP in STV was fun, kiting and blinking etc. I can't comment much on endgame, but our mages always did lots of damage and were at the top of our DPS meters with the rogues. Overall mages were a strong and fun class in vanilla, and I don't think many people would regret maining one.

Warlocks were a blast leveling, one of the strongest solo classes for sure thanks to the voidwalker. PvP generally was good, except for against rogues which were our bane. Warlocks eat casters for lunch though and hunters and other melee than rogues were a fair fight. When I was geared in Naxx gear my shadow bolts hit for over 1k normal and 2k crits, considering a fresh level 60 had just about 2k hp overall it could get a bit ridiculous in wPvP at that stage. Seduce, shadow bolt, seduce shadow bolt, deathcoil or shadow burn... too easy.

Endgame as awarlock for me seems to be a different expereince than a lot of the other posts I read about warlocks in vanilla. I don't know if it's because most people posting have played on private servers and had a different experience than the 'real' vanilla, or if our guild was fast in progression before certain patches and changes. But our warlocks were always bottom of the damage meters (of the DPS classes). The huge problems were aggro, shadow bolt basically being a taunt spell especially with the amount of spell damage we accumulated as high end raiders. We were forced by the guild to spec for MD/ruin to get -20% aggro with pet out as any other spec would make us overaggro so easy.

Another problem was mana issues, you could only cast a few shadow bolts before going oom and needing to life tap to full mana again which is A) 0 damage time, inefficient for DPS and B) a strain on your healers, especially during cutting edge progression raids where the healers are already under tremendous pressure.

So my vanilla experience raiding as a warlock was ok, but also quite frustrating because I was never allowed to reach my full DPS potential and had to accept my lowly position in our charts.
    So many things wrong in this post

Only 2k for a crit in naxx gear ?

If your guild made u guys go for that build they were fuckin retard

And if you waited to life tap when only out of mana then you were a terrible warlock

Mages is the class that can make more gold alone. This includes trash from open world or even some instances like dire maul.
    One mage is allways present on a party so your chances of getting in are higther.
    Melee classes dont destroy you, you destroy them.
    Warlocks destroy you.
    Warlock can have mount ar 40 for free, you probably will not have 90 or 100g at 40 to buy one. But after lv40 quests give a lot more gold so u will have enought 3 or 4 lvls later,
    What Can I say, I like mages xd

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonasol View Post
    Mages is the class that can make more gold alone. This includes trash from open world or even some instances like dire maul.
    One mage is allways present on a party so your chances of getting in are higther.
    Melee classes dont destroy you, you destroy them.
    Warlocks destroy you.
    Warlock can have mount ar 40 for free, you probably will not have 90 or 100g at 40 to buy one. But after lv40 quests give a lot more gold so u will have enought 3 or 4 lvls later,
    What Can I say, I like mages xd
    Just a point, the mount for warlocks isn't free and takes some rare ingrediants that can cost a bit, but nowhere near the cost of the standard mount to be fair. It also takes a fuckton of time and you need some friends to help with the quest.

Not saying it as a bad thing! Just makes it all the more awesome to finally get.

Quote Originally Posted by kanuty View Post
    So many things wrong in this post
    Only 2k for a crit in naxx gear ?
    If your guild made u guys go for that build they were fuckin retard
    And if you waited to life tap when only out of mana then you were a terrible warlock
    I was paraphrasing the oom comment, of course you did a rotation of a few shadow bolts, life tap and repeat. But overall it still adds to your damage recieved and you require more healing than everyone else in the raid bar the tanks (fact).

2k crits are based off almost 15 year old memories, as I said I haven't played on any private server. It's not a big point to my post.

The spec was required because all the warlocks had to have imp out for blood pact in Naxx, since the stamina buff was so important on progression raids. We also pulled aggro really easy because tanks were less optimized in their gear and we pulled threat without even trying. The -20% threat from MD was absolutely necessary.

So no, nothing is wrong with my post.

If you play on craptacular private servers that aren't even accurate and can spam shadow bolts with your best DPS spec available and have tanks keep aggro, good for you. That wasn't the case in progression raids (pushing for EU first kills) in vanilla.
    Last edited by mmocff555210cb; 2018-09-18 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    Just a point, the mount for warlocks isn't free and takes some rare ingrediants that can cost a bit, but nowhere near the cost of the standard mount to be fair. It also takes a fuckton of time and you need some friends to help with the quest.

Not saying it as a bad thing! Just makes it all the more awesome to finally get.
    You are talking about the epic mount then. The level 40 mount is free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoddzero View Post
    You are talking about the epic mount then. The level 40 mount is free.
    Yes indeed, I missed that he wrote "level 40" in his post.