Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    2014 is around the time when everyone got on the internet, the loony left met the righteous right for the first time and both sides thought the other was crazy.

Now we are have a loud, boisterous conversation.
    I'm still truly impressed with how you come up with these sort of posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yes, this kind of person is the problem.

get rid of them, and everything goes back to normal.
    Haha, no. She does not even have political power.

It might have something to do with inequality. It's a well documented fact that inequality in western society has risen dramatically over the past few decades. While the quality of live hasn't drastically decreased wages have stagnated, and while scientific and technological discoveries have made a great deal of things cheaper the avarage person hasn't really benefited from it because the prices they have to pay for healthcare and education have skyrocketed.

And science has proven that it doesn't really matter how good ones life is if their neighbours life is 10 times better and it gets rubbed in their face every day. Social status is very important to people and as time has passed society has become rather cruel and unforgiving toward those on the lower end of the scale and this has brought forth social unrest and crazy politicians, like it has done a thousand tines before in different eras.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This quote is taken out of context. She was saying if you see any of this call it out as it is
    Everything?

o.O

Anyways society hasn't changed people like to think things are better or worse. But humanity has enjoyed relative stability post WWII.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    And science has proven that it doesn't really matter how good ones life is if their neighbours life is 10 times better and it gets rubbed in their face every day. Social status is very important to people and as time has passed society has become rather cruel and unforgiving toward those on the lower end of the scale and this has brought forth social unrest and crazy politicians, like it has done a thousand tines before in different eras.
    A neighbors life can't be 10 time better than someone living next door. Relative value of homes are in close proximity and linked to overall neighborhood value. Bottom line is that people have to accept that what they perceive as someone doing better is in fact piling on massive debt.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    After the financial crisis the majority of political systems across the West decided to pass the cost of the crisis entirely into the middle class in a variety of ways in order to not upset their corporate paymasters. When you impoverish a very populous class that was once privileged, there will be a social cost.
    This is a major part. The financial crisis and bailout fucked over so many people. Greedy criminal banks preyed upon people life saving and home equities and sucked them dry. Now many people are struggling with no savings, which leads to incredible stress and pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    2014 is around the time when everyone got on the internet, the loony left met the righteous right for the first time and both sides thought the other was crazy.

Now we are have a loud, boisterous conversation.
    So we should work at pushing people closer to center politically and then we can all hold hands and be happy?

It hasnt, society has been like this since the first civ popped up.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Here is my counter opinion.

Society is still the same. People just know about it now because people post on social media now.
    Social Media has existed since long before 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This quote is taken out of context. She was saying if you see any of this call it out as it is
    What she is saying is that you have to constantly look for sexism, racism and homophobia everywhere, and claim that it exists even when it doesn't because that is how you gain more political power.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I'd say humanity entered a state of regression when the internet became widely used.
    Yeah now we can all read your idiocy.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Marxists have gotten a good foothold in this country but lack the courage of their convictions so they just trololololololed constantly.

Seriously waiting to hear about Trump doing anything worse than the last three presidents. He isn't expanding wars like Bush or Obama. He isn't deporting people like Obama or Clinton. He isn't getting impeached for lying under oath like Clinton. Yet the left likes to act like the sky is falling because they feel entitled to the presidency.

Seriously, it's hilarious. The opposition to the Grand Cheeto is basically just on a multi-year dumpster fire of a temper tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    The Marxists have gotten a good foothold in this country but lack the courage of their convictions so they just trololololololed constantly.

Seriously waiting to hear about Trump doing anything worse than the last three presidents.
    Okay. Cool story.
    He isn't expanding wars like Bush or Obama.
    He is.

He isn't deporting people like Obama or Clinton.
    He is.

He isn't getting impeached for lying under oath like Clinton.
    Yeah, because the investigation is still ongoing.

Yet the left likes to act like the sky is falling because they feel entitled to the presidency.
    Funny bit of alt-right projection, here.

Seriously, it's hilarious. The opposition to the Grand Cheeto is basically just on a multi-year dumpster fire of a temper tantrum.
    Yeah, it's not because he's an awful human being who sold his nation out to a foreign power with the blessing of his supporters like you.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Define long and define social media. Then compare it to social media's current form. Social media is massively new concept and it's one that is STILL evolving. Social media as we know it today is not old. Not at all.

Bored of blond cheerleaders are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Seriously waiting to hear about Trump doing anything worse than the last three presidents. He isn't expanding wars like Bush or Obama. He isn't deporting people like Obama or Clinton. He isn't getting impeached for lying under oath like Clinton. Yet the left likes to act like the sky is falling because they feel entitled to the presidency.

The fact that you think hatred of Trump is indicative of leftist ideology shows how unaware Trump supporters are of what the entire rest of the world thinks of Trump. It's not a Leftist thing. He's an international threat. Virtually everyone agrees on that at this point, beyond his dwindling base and insincere internet edgelords who only like him because"owning the libs" is the only joy in life they have.

It hasn't you just got old enough to notice/care.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post

A neighbors life can't be 10 time better than someone living next door. Relative value of homes are in close proximity and linked to overall neighborhood value. Bottom line is that people have to accept that what they perceive as someone doing better is in fact piling on massive debt.
    Ive never seen somebody miss the point of a post by this much, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    It hasn't you just got old enough to notice/care.
    And when you know more as you grow older you care even less haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Ive never seen somebody miss the point of a post by this much, impressive.
    Why do you care if your neighbor is piling up debt to prove social status? You both live in the same neighborhood right?

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    In the US, this modern trend started as part of the party switchover in the 60s and 70s (Republicans were more like Democrats of today and vice versa) all because Democrats started supporting civil rights (more accurately, northern Democrats did while the southern Democrats known as Dixiecrats did not). Those Dixiecrats moved over to the Republican party and things were in flux..
    Sorry, the "great switch" has been thoroughly debunked. The left does not care about black people and never has. The only thing that is different since the 60s is that they now try to give the impression they care.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ
    These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. I'll have those ni***rs voting Democratic for 200 years
    Not exactly a paragon of civic virtue.

Moving on to the main topic, I blame the "going off the rails" on three things.

1. The death of expertise.

The internet, often wrong, falsified, and incomplete, is now deemed an acceptable substitute for any sort of experience or depth of wisdom in a field. Someone can read a slanted, error-filled, incomplete argument, and then consider themselves an expert on anything. While I am not sure of the amount of knowledge's increasing in the world, I do know that stupidity and ignorance is increasing. Many years ago, I had an argument with a student in my high school. I am from the south and am white, he was from NYC and was black. He pretty much hated everything I was, and, when the discussion of what caused the Civil War came up, he immediately trotted out the bromide that it was a glorious crusade to end slavery. When I started quoting everyone from Lincoln, to Douglass, to Grant, showing that that was NOT the case, he went to a computer (this discussion was in the lab) pulled up Encarta (this was in 1998) and read "The Civil War was over slavery" then did the most obnoxious display of gloating and excessive celebration this side of a Harlem street-ball game's game-winning shot.

.....Encarta.

2. The rise of identity politics.

It used to be, you held an informed opinion because you had learned about it and made a judgment. Now, you ARE what you believe, and anyone that disagrees with you is committing a mortal insult against you and must be brought down. My previous example was doomed to failure from the start because my opponent was black and I was white, therefore I was, in his eyes, a racist and and oppressor of him. Nothing could ever change that.

3. The fall of argument and its replacement by character assassination.

People possess little knowledge and less reason today than they used to have. When you cannot beat someone in an argument, you try to have them silenced, either through complaining to his employer to get him fired (he'll be quiet now and have to look for work), doxxing him (he'll be busy and scared now, so he'll be quiet), swatting him (he'll go to jail and maybe even get killed by the cops, so he'll be quiet). There's a reason "ad hominem" is a logical fallacy. Attacking someone's character is a low blow, and you will never regain their esteem, so the debating field becomes weaponized, in addition to personal.

4. The culture of dueling, or at least ass kicking, is gone.

There used to be conflict resolution in days past. If you got into a disagreement, and it got heated, your opponent would "demand satisfaction." That meant you were going to duel him. You either could: apologize, which was acceptable if there was a misunderstanding, or win, or lose. If you lost, you'd probably die, and, even more importantly, society judged you as wrong in the matter. If you won, your opponent is dead, and you are right. The matter was settled, either way.

More recently, running your mouth would earn you an ass-kicking, maybe even lethal. Again, you would win or lose.

But now, people can run their mouths and say the most heinous things and not be held accountable. Can you imagine how much nicer people would be? Generally, the most awful, toxic people are the most slovenly or weak, because self confident people don't say that sort of shit that they do.

So, people are ignorant, emotionally entrenched, willing to destroy someone's life simply for disagreeing with them, but not able to understand that that might, in earlier and hopefully soon again times, get them killed.

Son, society, human civilization, humanity, whatever the fuck you want to call it, has always been off the rails.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wartech View Post
    The fact that you think hatred of Trump is indicative of leftist ideology shows how unaware Trump supporters are of what the entire rest of the world thinks of Trump. It's not a Leftist thing. He's an international threat. Virtually everyone agrees on that at this point, beyond his dwindling base and insincere internet edgelords who only like him because"owning the libs" is the only joy in life they have.
    Start naming things he's done that are worse than any of the last three presidents.