Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Use less buzzwords please Endus. Alarmist and propaganda are shit words to use, don't be that guy.
    Well, stop making arguments those words accurately describe.

A cow that grew up on a field and wasn't fed with chemicals has the historical benefit of us knowing that it's not unhealthy, per se.
    Something grown in a lab by some random company should earn my trust first. The fact it tastes the same doesn't matter to me.
    This is nonsense. The cow that grew up on a field has been potentially exposed to all kinds of pesticides and chemicals and such, not to mention diseases. The farmers try and mitigate that, but their farms aren't closed systems, even if they're not using those things themselves.

Meat grown in a lab can be ensured to have no contact with any such substances. There's literally no reason at all to think it would be unhealthy; it's like saying you don't trust pennicilin because it's produced in a lab, so you're going to stick with your moldy bread compresses. It's that level of bananas.

There is a reason why it is only recently the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) has been pushing the Federal Government to enforce labeling rules of fake meat (the so called Fair and Accurate Labeling system). That’s because in the past fake meat products do not taste like meat. So they have nothing to worry in term of competition. However, some of the newer products are actually quite good according to the NCBA rep during an interview with NPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    There is a reason why it is only recently the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) has been pushing the Federal Government to enforce labeling rules of fake meat (the so called Fair and Accurate Labeling system). That’s because in the past fake meat products do not taste like meat. So they have nothing to worry in term of competition. However, some of the newer products are actually quite good according to the NCBA rep during an interview with NPR.
    Firstly, cultured meat is not fake meat, it is biologically just as much a pig, cow, chicken, etc as any conventional burger. Secondly, wasn't cultured meat extremely expensive until recently? How would they know what it tastes like?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I don't see why we couldn't advance to the point where we could also grow bone.
    Seems like a waste though, why grow bone when we could grow more MEAT!!!!
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Seems like a waste though, why grow bone when we could grow more MEAT!!!!
    Because conventional animal agriculture is extremely environmentally damaging in many cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    (Source)

I'm happy that we at least have anecdotal confirmation on what cultured meat tastes like, although I don't think I ever truly doubted that meat made from animal cells would taste much different from...meat made from animal cells.
    Good news. Sadly, the development and research is owned by greedy people and it'll be at least a few decades before we see it at a humane price.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Because conventional animal agriculture is extremely environmentally damaging in many cases.
    So are humans.

I'd be fine with this if the taste/cost are good. I could certainly see this being safer to consume than the "natural" meat that most Americans get from their grocery stores. Can't speak for meat quality in the rest of the world.

Firstly, cultured meat is not fake meat, it is biologically just as much a pig, cow, chicken, etc as any conventional burger. Secondly, wasn't cultured meat extremely expensive until recently? How would they know what it tastes like?
    NCBA keep track of their potential competitions. Nothing surprising there. They had nothing to worry about in the past, but in the last several years, the products are getting better and better. I guess they feel threatened enough now that they want lab produced meat to be labeled "Alternative Meat Products."

I think you missed my point. You said we could eventually also grow bone. IM saying F that just grow more meat, sans bone. We dont eat bones(well my wife does Oo) we eat MEAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So are humans.
    Yeah and we would significantly less environmentally damaging if we made the transition to cultured.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you missed my point. You said we could eventually also grow bone. IM saying F that just grow more meat, sans bone. We dont eat bones(well my wife does Oo) we eat MEAT!!
    Oh...well then, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Where is the thrill of the hunt?
    Yes the average person hunts for food /s.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

I can see European countries needing to do this crap. (I think you guys are hosed)
    But the US? Not so much.

Even if it was the most environmental and ethical choice?
    I find no ethical problem in the killing of animals.

Water waste in meat production is a problem, but I'd rather fuck the enviromental than my one body. I don't know the possible side effects of culture meat.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    I find no ethical problem in the killing of animals.

Water waste in meat production is a problem, but I'd rather fuck the enviromental than my one body. I don't know the possible side effects of culture meat.
    It's grown from animal cells, any side effect would have to be something intrinsic to meat in general.

I can see European countries needing to do this crap. (I think you guys are hosed)
    But the US? Not so much.
    Need? Probably not.

However, we are talking about Silicon Valley. They may actually come out with alternative meat products which taste better than the real thing.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-09-18 at 07:47 PM.

But the US? Not so much.
    I would argue the US has more to gain from this as it would benefit our national mammal (the bison) and other species which have been extirpated or even hunted to extinction (assuming we can de-extinct them) due to a need for agricultural land.

Cooking meat on the bone will actually add flavor it's the same reason you add bones when making some types of broth. Of course there is also the part where the bones in the meat are best for certain dishes like ribs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    What’s the main veggie argument?
    "That was an animal once, I can't eat flesh from animals!"
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Cooking meat on the bone will actually add flavor it's the same reason you add bones when making some types of broth. Of course there is also the part where the bones in the meat are best for certain dishes like ribs and such.
    /woooooosh