Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    It's grown from animal cells, any side effect would have to be something intrinsic to meat in general.
    Yes, but it's not known to me exactly how is this growing done. Maybe in the act of growing it, something bad may happen that will be detrimental to me.

I don't know yet.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    "That was an animal once, I can't eat flesh from animals!"
    Oh...... that may be why I’m a vegetarian......... but I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of this stuff when you can buy it I do miss meat from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Yes, but it's not known to me exactly how is this growing done. Maybe in the act of growing it, something bad may happen that will be detrimental to me.

I don't know yet.
    Just look it up. They take animal cells and use a growth medium to stimulate (currently bovine fetal serum but alternatives are being developed) those cells into growing like they would in a body.

Decades from now: Lab grown meat linked to new form of cancer, who could have possibly seen this coming, etc etc.

It'll be the HFCS vs cane sugar argument. Except it'll be real meat vs soylent green.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Decades from now: Lab grown meat linked to new form of cancer, who could have possibly seen this coming, etc etc.
    People keep bringing up cancer but can someone actually explain how taking the cells of animals and 'tricking' them into growing with fetal serum.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Eating red meat and processed meat has already been linked to bowel cancer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    People keep bringing up cancer but can someone actually explain how taking the cells of animals and 'tricking' them into growing with fetal serum.

There are three stages in the production of cultured meat.[17][50][51]

Starter cells
    The initial stage of growing cultured meat is to collect cells that have a rapid rate of proliferation. Such cells include embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells, myosatellite cells, or myoblasts. Stem cells proliferate the quickest, but have not yet begun development towards a specific kind of cell, which creates the challenge of splitting the cells and directing them to grow a certain way. Fully developed muscle cells are ideal in the aspect that they have already finished development as a muscle, but proliferate hardly at all. Therefore, cells such as myoblast cells are often used as they still proliferate at an acceptable rate, but also sufficiently differentiate from other types of cells.

Growth medium
    The cells are then treated by applying a protein that promotes tissue growth. They are then placed in a culture medium, in a bio-reactor, which is able to supply the cells with the energetic requirements they need.

Scaffold
    To culture three-dimensional meat, the cells are grown on a scaffold. The ideal scaffold is edible so the meat does not have to be removed, and periodically moves to stretch the developing muscle, thereby simulating the animal body during normal development.

Other considerations
    Once this process has been started, it would be theoretically possible to continue producing meat indefinitely without introducing new cells from a living organism.[52] It has been claimed that, conditions being ideal, two months of cultured meat production could deliver up to 50,000 tons of meat from ten pork muscle cells.[53]

Cultured meat production requires a preservative, such as sodium benzoate, to protect the growing meat from yeast and fungus. Collagen powder, xanthan gum, mannitol and cochineal could be used in different ways during the process.[54]

The price of cultured meat at retail outlets like grocery stores and supermarkets may decrease to levels that middle-class consumers consider to be "inexpensive" due to technological advancements.[55][better source needed]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultured_meat

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Eating red meat and processed meat has already been linked to bowel cancer.

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultured_meat
    I am aware of how cultured meat is grown, I was asking the OP of the post I responded to.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shame about the thousands of livestock farmers that will be put out of work if this totally replaces natural meat.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Only if it was absolutely proven, though very long studies, that it isn't harmful.

Cancer is a bitch already, no need to throw more lab grown stuff into my body. Although how the whole food industry works nowadays, it's only a matter of time anyway until I get my first tumor.
    Medicines are made in labs, so are cancer treatments.

is there any lab grown meat companies to invest/buy stocks in? might be big in the future who knows

Pink slime used to be only used in dog food. Now it's lunch for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post

I don't know yet.
    It'll turn you into Meat Boy, that's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    It'll turn you into Meat Boy, that's what!

Technically everyone already is meat boy.

I don't eat mammal meat but I'd deffo try any fish they'd grow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend Blackhand View Post
    Shame about the thousands of livestock farmers that will be put out of work if this totally replaces natural meat.
    They will adapt, those who don't will have to move on to new professions, just like the candle and carriage makers before them.

Cool. Farmers will most likely have a bone to pick with it though...pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Oh...... that may be why I’m a vegetarian......... but I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of this stuff when you can buy it I do miss meat from time to time.
    There we go. That's honest.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, this is a good start.

I love cooking, and I love cooking and eating delicious things, but I am also notoriously not picky as well. If something tastes 'mostly' like meat, and is cheap and moderately healthy, I'm fine with that.

And if it 'functions' like meat, I imagine in a few years we'll have methods to 'exercise' them so that they have an actual workout to behave more like meat we're used to.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab