Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    you implied it by saying it would ruin wow

- - - Updated - - -

it's starcraft

there is 100k people at august last year still playing the game https://imgur.com/a/jEiWP
    In its first month on sale, StarCraft II sold a total of three million copies worldwide. As of December 2010, the game has sold nearly 4.5 million units.

StarCraft 1 sold over 9.5 million copies across the globe, with 4.5 million of these being sold in South Korea.

so give a reasonable explaination why the starcraft mmorpg would not get 10-20mill subs OVER A YEAR

Warcraft III also had commercial success, shipping over 4.5 million copies to retail stores with over a million sold within a month. and now world of warcraft goes around 6-10mill subs

the reason i gave diablo less prediction is because it's player base is smaller when compared to starcraft and the similarities diablo mmo would have with wow in terms of aesthetic theme
    If you want to pull numbers, you should of went with Diablo 3 since it set records. But SALES are not SUBSCRIPTIONS. With MMOs specifically, they have a HIGH drop off rate after their first month, in fact only 20% of people who buy an MMO login after the first 30 days. That's a massive drop off, so to do your "10-20 mil SUBSCRIPTIONS" would require 50-100mil BOX SALES.

If you mean't box sales, then sure that's fine but you should correct your post.

for diablo, i'd want it to be like wow with a diablo skin. i hate isometric and would want none of it anywhere. also, three factions, demons, angels, and nephalem. the humans are becoming nephalem in greater numbers now that the world stone is gone, say that the majority of the nephalem are just strong enough to be comparable to average demons and angels, for now.

for starcraft, i'd again basically just want it to be wow with a starcraft skin. i'd want space flight and battles to be a big part of it though, customizable ships like you said. idk about factions in it. maybe have multiple, dominion, raiders, tal'darim, normal protoss, zerg, whatever really.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, they need to end WoW. There is no point in competing with themselves.

After that, i'd take a Diablo MMO in a heartbeat.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    First, they need to end WoW. There is no point in competing with themselves.

After that, i'd take a Diablo MMO in a heartbeat.
    overwatch isn't competing with wow and neither is hearthstone
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

10M subs in 1 year? That was hard enough to pull off when the genre peaked last decade, let alone now.

Diablo MMO I can see, Starcraft? nah, they could do it with 3 factions, worked fine for DAOC but I don't think Blizzard are that focussed on multi factions.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Threadripper 2950x | 32gig Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz | GTX 1070 (Yes, I was stingy on the graphics card HOOOO!)

you implied it by saying it would ruin wow

- - - Updated - - -

it's starcraft

there is 100k people at august last year still playing the game https://imgur.com/a/jEiWP
    In its first month on sale, StarCraft II sold a total of three million copies worldwide. As of December 2010, the game has sold nearly 4.5 million units.

StarCraft 1 sold over 9.5 million copies across the globe, with 4.5 million of these being sold in South Korea.

so give a reasonable explaination why the starcraft mmorpg would not get 10-20mill subs OVER A YEAR

Warcraft III also had commercial success, shipping over 4.5 million copies to retail stores with over a million sold within a month. and now world of warcraft goes around 6-10mill subs

the reason i gave diablo less prediction is because it's player base is smaller when compared to starcraft and the similarities diablo mmo would have with wow in terms of aesthetic theme
    Starcraft II came out in 2010 and was an RTS game. Now it's 2018 and you're talking about an MMO, true SC2 fans live in Korea and live for RTS/Moba games, they don't want to play WoW with spaceships and zerg. You can't use Warcraft III and WoW as a measurement stick either, they are products of a bygone era, WoW was in the right place at the right time and we're talking about a genre that peaked a decade ago.

Unless you haven't noticed the MMO genre is dead compared to others (Moba, FPS-BR), Elder Scrolls (30mil+ sales and counting on Skyrim alone) was turned into an MMO too so where are the 40million ESO players? Your basis of analysis is "this game sold lots of copies 10 years ago, therefore if it was an MMO it would sell even more, in the current day"..

Have some common sense, go take a look at the long list of MMO titles that are dead or dying. Turning a game into an MMO isn't a positive thing, and MMO's are often not good investments.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2018-09-20 at 02:10 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    overwatch isn't competing with wow and neither is hearthstone
    Right, because neither of those are the same genre. Blizzard has a good habit of avoiding overlap within their games. Having two MMO's in their library competing with each other wouldn't make sense.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Man fuck Diablo MMO, it would be just Legion all over again.

What I would really like would be a Starcraft mmo with hybrid tab targetting and action combat, like ESO or Wildstar.
    *3 factions. Each with 3 sub-factions instead of races, but each with unique customizations and backstories
    - Terran. Dominion (rich, corporations, military, Valerian boss). Raynor's Raiders (rebels, roughriders, rednecks, Raynor boss). Korhal Crime Cartels (gangs, outcasts, smugglers, Placeholder boss).
    - Protoss. Templar. Shakuras outcasts. Tal'darim
    - Zerg. Placeholders to represent the same themes, plus Free Zerg from Zeras.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Between 10 to 20 million? especially after the fuckup that has been BfA in the eyes of many, on a genre already overpopulated?
    nope, also starcraft 2 storyline is dogshit, nope.
    Overpopulated? Doubtful. The only MMO an 'average' gamer would even recognize, let alone has played is WoW. Maybe they would know of ESO or GW too. You could add a couple psuedo-MMOs to that list (Warfront, Destiny). The rest are basically niche as fuck and none of them can even touch WoW.

No, there's room. But given the genre's history it's too risky and too expensive to go all in on a 'real' MMO for a AAA developers. One day a smaller operation will create something special, but who knows when.

I'm not questioning the possibility or the quality of a Diablo/Starcraft MMO. Also, both franchises are loved and would have definitely a core playerbase stick to them.

The issue is: how successful would they be? An MMO is a beast of development effort and requires a lot of initial investment, plus long-term support plans. Long story short, modern playerbase isn't going to commit a long time with a game, because MMOs and the effort required to play them are usually "too much" for people.

Modern successes are LoL, Fortnite, and all games that are either single player or can be played in very short sessions. An MMO wouldn't works - or atleast traditional ones.

More than an MMO, i can see solid RPG games in a persistent world with MMO-like features, but that can be played entirely solo on in small groups so the progression is completely tied to your playstyle and not how much you play (e.g: it takes X hours to get from A to B, doesn't matter if you do them all in one day or 1 hour a day).

EDIT: i would keep an eye on Torchlight Frontiers. It's the first ARPG with MMO-like stuff; they even say it's an MMO at its core, but they're publicizing it as an ARPG because the word MMO scares players as it's associated to long play session and heavy commitment. Other than that, i want to see how they're going to deal with the whole thing and the systems they're putting in place. I would totally play a Diablo in a persistent world with M+ like dungeons i can play either solo or small group.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2018-09-21 at 08:43 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    More than an MMO, i can see solid RPG games in a persistent world with MMO-like features, but that can be played entirely solo on in small groups so the progression is completely tied to your playstyle and not how much you play (e.g: it takes X hours to get from A to B, doesn't matter if you do them all in one day or 1 hour a day).
    This is what I'd like to see. I know there's a few games like this out there already, like Destiny, but the MMO/ RPG elements are very basic and they're all shooters.