Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    People nowadays are getting crazier and crazier... discussing about PUPPETS lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    snip
    I thought about it...and I actually do think it would make sense to have a homosexual couple as puppets on the show.

At first, I thought to myself, they are puppets, they don't have sexual or romantic orientations...but what about Kermit and Mrs Piggy? They are a heterosexual couple. So to balance it out, and show children that different types of families are acceptable, it would actually make sense to have a homosexual couple as well.

If Frank Oz doesn't want that to be Bert and Ernie, that is fine. But it would make sense to include a new two characters who are in a relationship together.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    What side am I on exactly? Please tell me
    Is this really the game you're playing at this point? Seriously, the smug pretense here is just amusing.

Definitely triggered if you need to revert to playground insults to reply to me, yep
    Whatever you have to say to convince yourself this conversation is relevant enough to "win."

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    So 2 guys(puppets) can't be just friends anymore, and are automaticly gay now?
    Meh. Most of the "progressive"/"outrage" culture is just there for peer validation. It doesn't have to really make sense.

"blah blah Toxic maculinity bad blah blah. Why can't men be shown comfortable with their emotions +sexulaity and having compassionate and true friendships?"
    And then when there IS that..
    "Clearly a gay couple though. Why else would they be living together and so comfortable with their emotions and sexuality? So homophobic to imply otherwise."

This whole thing reminds me of...

"OMG Disney, not EVERY woman needs a man for validation. Can't we have one heroine who isn't just defined by her search for a Prince?? So sexist"
    Disney creates Elsa
    "Finally, a lesbian! Why won't Disney put her in a lesbian relationship? Do they have something against lgbtq? So homophobic.."
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

5+ Year Old Account
    No
    Says the guy declaring himself the winner in a pointless conversation in response to my making fun of a thread.

Sure you do, tiger.

Like it or not, heterosexual is NORMAL and being homosexual is NOT.

If it was, gays would be able to reproduce. They CANNOT. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Why do puppets need to have a sexual orientation?
    /thread 10char

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    At first, I thought to myself, they are puppets, they don't have sexual or romantic orientations...but what about Kermit and Mrs Piggy? They are a heterosexual couple.
    They're also a pig and a frog.

The only other couple I can think of from the muppets is Gonzo and Camilla and she's an actual chicken, not even anthropomorphised.

They're puppets. The relationships are just parts of the jokes.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    /thread 10char
    Not really. Kermit and Mrs Piggy are an example of it existing.

So it is hypocritical to say that puppets don't need to have romantic interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There’s no need to define a characters’ sexual orientation on a show meant for pre-schoolers. That said, if he didn’t write them as gay, then they’re technically not gay and you can’t push form them to be gay just because you thought they were and desperately want it to be true. If you want to imagine they’re gay, than by all means, think that. Whatever makes you happy.
    I want to imagine you are a jellyfish !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    They're also a pig and a frog.

The only other couple I can think of from the muppets is Gonzo and Camilla and she's an actual chicken, not even anthropomorphised.

They're puppets. The relationships are just parts of the jokes.
    Joke or not, content is content. Know what I mean?

I've never thought of Bert and Ernie as being gay. Bert's clearly asexual. Ernie is some sick and twisted banana fetishist though.

REVOLTING!

"Dont seem to appreciate what they meant for thousands of little boys"

Wtf is this guy insinuating? I was a little boy while watching bert and ernie and it told me that two men could be great friends.??? Those twitter responses are a f****n disgrace.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well it's easy to backtrack when your stupid comment gets destroyed
    Is that what we're doing? Or am I jsut emphasizing how utterly ridiculous this entire conversation is by simply dismissing it.

You're not even discussing the topic, dude. You're pulling your pud to your own ego.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post

https://www.newscientist.com/article...l-orientation/
    "Two gene variants have been found to be more common in gay men, adding to mounting evidence that sexual orientation is at least partly biologically determined. How does this change what we already knew?"

Also gays can reproduce regardless and have been doing so for millennia. They ain't shooting blanks. As the gay brother of one of my customers said:
    "I've had sex with women. I don't see what the big deal is."

5+ Year Old Account
    Let's just say I'm 20 so growing up for me wasn't that long ago and there was 0 stigma around being gay among my peers. It was a problem in the past, and I'm sure it's still a problem in some parts of the world, but in the west? It's never been better
    Look, relevant content. You cans till be fired in the US for being gay. More importantly, LGBT youth make up a significant chunk of the homeless youth population in the US. So, yes, it still is a problem in the West. Didn't we have this conversation already?

So, are left handers not normal? What about people with blue eyes, blonde hair, widow's peaks, or butt chins?

5+ Year Old Account
    You're the guy who came in insinuating the whole thread was pointless and people shouldn't be talking about things you might not like - and you talk about my ego. The difference is I'm being hyperbolic (mostly) - you clearly have no idea what you're actually saying.
    I didn't say anything about discussing it. I said a bunch of bitches are going to whine, do nothing, and then start another thread on a similar topic later today or tomorrow. That's all this is, outrage over outrage. They're not going to do shit, and I find it hilarious.

I'm talking about the West, not the US. The world is bigger than just you guys y'know
    Then we're ignoring the significant LGBT youth homeless population in GB too? It's something like 25% of the homeless youth population, y'know.

I like when you step in your own shit, though.

7+ Year Old Account

gay people are people that like the same sex, not people that cant reproduce.
    they can reproduce just fine, and have done so.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2018-09-21 at 01:48 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Here's what the writer actually said:

The sexual orientation of the perennially bickering puppet roommates has become a topic of discussion after a writer for the show between 1981 and 1990, Mark Saltzman, told the website Queerty he had written the characters as gay, without really thinking about it all that much.

"I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were [gay]," he said.

Saltzman explained to the magazine that Bert and Ernie's relationship often echoed his own.

"More than one person referred to Arnie & I as 'Bert and Ernie,'" he said.

"That's what I had in my life, a Bert and Ernie relationship. How could it not permeate? The things that would tick off Arnie would be the things that would tick off Bert. How could it not?

"I will say that I would never have said to the head writer, 'Oh, I'm writing this, this is my partner and me.' But those two … you had characters that appealed to a gay audience."
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-1...atter/10280732

Which is perfectly reasonable, and pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I don't really know why Frank Oz felt the need to state that they aren't gay. The writer didn't state that they were, only that that's what he had in his head when he wrote them:

“Somehow, in the uproar, that turned into Bert and Ernie being gay,” he said. “There is a difference.”

Mr. Saltzman is among a group of writers who have written scripts and songs for all the “Sesame Street” characters.

He said he did not restrict Bert and Ernie to one sexual orientation, or any at all. While he believes that “Sesame Street” should include a gay couple in its programming, he said it should be done with human characters, not puppets.

As for Bert and Ernie, “they are two guys who love each other,” Mr. Saltzman said. “That’s who they are.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/a...me-street.html

How would Frank Oz know that they aren't gay anyway? He knows that they're sexually attracted to women? How can they be, they're puppets... do they even have genitals?

Obviously they're only "gay" insofar as they embody traits and tropes typically associated with gay men. Which, duh, they do. So to say they're straight in that context would have to mean... they give off a strong vibe of straight? How? And no, they don't.

But seriously people on Twitter baiting him like that, that's more than a little mean.

- - - Updated - - -

If... gay people were normal they could reproduce? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.