Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    So they create the medicine for cancer in the same place where they're causing it.

Smart business idea. First they make you sick, then they sell you the cure
    Stop believing in random bullshit article you read on the internet.

More important, was the nutritional value the same? Including vitamins, acids etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Miss me with that paranoid shit. I'm a scientist, and as such I know better than to quiver in fear at the thought of digesting lab grown animal cells.

Let me know when you start demanding that someone produce lab tests proving that in vitro babies don't grow up into cancer zombies.
    You think it will be a university or medical facility growing that meat commercially? Nah, my bet is on shit like Nestle or JBS.

Lab grown and thus safe my ass. First priority will be to reduce cost per sales, methods unknown. We will need rigorous standards if this is supposed to become a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    You think it will be a university or medical facility growing that meat commercially? Nah, my bet is on shit like Nestle or JBS.

Lab grown and thus safe my ass. First priority will be to reduce cost per sales, methods unknown. We will need rigorous standards if this is supposed to become a thing.
    I don't understand this paranoia around cultured meat. People act like the startups developing cultured meat are these shady super villians that refuse to share the secrets of how this meat is grown when in actuality they've always been pretty open. The major drive for companies like Memphis Meats and Finless Foods are ethical and environmental and I'm not entirely sure why that wouldn't carry over to their consumer bases either.

Ok grandpa. Don't forget your tinfoil hat on the way out.
    Because nothing ever happened in the food industry. Like, ever. Or in the pharma industry for that matter.

What a way to deceive oneself. How's that horse kebab tasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    What sort of person thinks lab grown and natural meat tastes different? it's literally the same thing
    Wine that is aged differently will taste different.

Meat aged in different conditions will be different.

Meat is meat however you see it, I'll eat it all the same.

Oh sweety. You are barking at the wroooong guy with that hammy act (hah, get it? HAM!). I grew up on a farm in Costa Rica, which quickly showed me that horse is delicious. So is pig. And chicken. And ants! I'm sorry that your delicate upbringing has lead you to fear food, but shockingly, health standards are higher than at any other point in human history, and lab grown meat will be held to even more rigorous standards given the public scrutiny it faces. Your little rant was cute, but no one here is going to entertain it further. You're done. Go home and eat a burger, you're not you when you're hungry <3
    Yes, such delicious meat from sick and old horses, hidden between kebab meat to make it cheaper.

Or those delicious eggs that Aldi, Rewe or Real,- have to withdraw from their shelfs due to sarmonella contaminations every second week.

The food industry is fucked. Once they're responsible for lab grown meat they'll fuck that up, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I can see European countries needing to do this crap. (I think you guys are hosed)
    But the US? Not so much.
    Considering there is strong resistance to GMOs in Europe, I expect the same to lab-grown meat. Also, food is more heavily regulated here, and that applies to labeling and designation of origin, which is a matter of culture of identity for many in the EU. This shit won't take off here before the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I would argue the US has more to gain from this as it would benefit our national mammal (the bison) and other species which have been extirpated or even hunted to extinction (assuming we can de-extinct them) due to a need for agricultural land.
    I foresee cultural/identity-based resistance. A recurring theme in political threads is comparing the economic power and GDP contribution of states (red vs. blue) and these debates generally lead to with right-wingers claiming "well, those farmers feed America!".

Now imagine when suddenly they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I think you missed my point. You said we could eventually also grow bone. IM saying F that just grow more meat, sans bone. We dont eat bones(well my wife does Oo) we eat MEAT!!
    And yet I fry my pork chops with the bone in them for added flavour.

(Also bone marrow is a delicacy.)

- - - Updated - - -

They will adapt, those who don't will have to move on to new professions, just like the candle and carriage makers before them.
    You mean like all those coal miners who threw the election to Trump just to avoid that?

- - - Updated - - -

It's animal cells stimulated to grow by bovine fetal serum, not much different in general health risks than regular meat, seeing as they're virtually comprised of the same thing.
    Yes, they're all made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with lesser amount of other elements thrown in. Just how they are built makes all the difference.

Come on, you can do better arguments. This one is practically handwaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    "Dry and crumbly" is not exactly a stellar review for a sausage.
    Mmm, sausage biscuits!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust Trader Mittens View Post
    I will say it again. Just stop eating beef.
    Keep saying it all you want, without an argument as to why people should stop eating beef you will continue to be ignored. I love meat, it keeps me feeling good and I become noticeably more sluggish and tired when I don't eat meat. So unless you have a valid reason for me to choose to make myself feel worse, I will continue eating meat along with billions of other people worldwide. And please don't start in with an ethics based discussion, I feel no remorse for being higher on the food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Considering there is strong resistance to GMOs in Europe, I expect the same to lab-grown meat. Also, food is more heavily regulated here, and that applies to labeling and designation of origin, which is a matter of culture of identity for many in the EU. This shit won't take off here before the US.
    From what I've read, there has been no resistance to cultured meat in Europe unlike with the meat lobbyists in the US. The Dutch startup Mosa Meats was actually one of the first cultured meat companies to gain any significant traction and they have been steadily working to drop the price of cultured meat.

Of course that may obviously be subject to change.

You mean like all those coal miners who threw the election to Trump just to avoid that?
    And yet they are (badly attempting) to stop what's inevitable.

Yes, they're all made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with lesser amount of other elements thrown in. Just how they are built makes all the difference.

Come on, you can do better arguments. This one is practically handwaving.
    It's grown from animal cells...like conventional meat. It's not fake meat or a meat alternative, it is 100% real meat grown from real animal cells to produce things like fat and muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

And yet I fry my pork chops with the bone in them for added flavour.

(Also bone marrow is a delicacy.)
    And I toss a shank in my soups, it was a joke.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2018-09-24 at 03:18 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    I am still dubious... I only eat meat from farmshops because it tastes immensely more superior to supermarket meat. A lot of the flavour of meat comes from the animals quality of life and diet. I will try lab meat but I am not convinced it will taste identical.