Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This kind of thing sounds fun in thr context of classic servers. Where content doesnt go out of date as bad as in ongoing servers.
    It has that certain, janky charm that draws me to wanting to try classic.
    Hard attunment has no place in omgoing servers though.

Quote Originally Posted by codeGnave View Post
    This kind of thing sounds fun in thr context of classic servers. Where content doesnt go out of date as bad as in ongoing servers.
    It has that certain, janky charm that draws me to wanting to try classic.
    Hard attunment has no place in omgoing servers though.
    Agreed, which makes it so cool that classic servers will return

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    The best thing about Vanilla was the fact that you needed a community around you to play with and if you didn't behave like a decent person and play OK then you wouldn't be part of the game, in other words there was a filter for bullshit and toxic people. All WoW really needs is the removal of all queuing systems and it would instantly become better.
    Not better. More suited for your preferences, but not better. "Better" in a videogame is subjective. What Blizzard would do by removing queuing systems is making the game less profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    Not better. More suited for your preferences, but not better. "Better" in a videogame is subjective. What Blizzard would do by removing queuing systems is making the game less profitable.
    What's better in a MMO game?
    - A system where you have to interact with other people in a 'normal' manner in order to get the most out of the game.
    OR
    - A system where you can be the biggest asshole or remove all chat channels and still get most out of the game.

Automated queuing systems for PvE content has been the biggest downfall of this game, period. (imo)
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

As a tank for pretty much my entire wow career and carried full fire resist for Rag, Nature resist for several AQ bosses, Frost Resist for Saphiron, etc, I'm not really sure if I really liked this design. I do understand where the OP is coming from: it is a sense of progress not just in terms of raid tier but also in the storyline where you go from BRM instances, to Onyxia, to Nefarian's Lair. But from a gaming perspective it is restrictive.

I think it's cool to have options in gearing in a RPG that caters to each encounter and I definitely do think the game's item design has been too streamlined especially at this stage, but I also think those optimization should just be increase in performance and not something close to being mandatory (if not flat out mandatory) like Onyxia Scale Cloak.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I just came across a video on youtube explaining this item called Onyxia Scale Cloak and it made me realize even further why Vanilla was so awesome and i wanted to share with you guys

Onyxia Scale Cloak: Protects the wearer from being fully engulfed by Shadow Flame.

Basically this cloak is needed to fight Nefarian in Blackwing Lair otherwise you are one shotted by a boss mechanic that hits the entire raid.
    And how do you get it?
    Well, you need a leatherworker to craft it for the raid.
    You also need a skinner to skin Onyxia to make this cloak
    But you needed skinner profession to be at level 315...and the max was 300 at the time.
    So you needed 1 of 2 weapons that drop in raids that give +10 to skinning and an enchant to reach the 315 level needed to skin Onyxia.

LOL

So...to recap:
    -To beat Nefarian the raid needed this cloak on several people
    -To have the cloak you need a leatherworker
    -The leatherworker needed to skin Onyxia
    -To skin Onyxia you needed skinning at level 315
    -to have skinning at level 315 you needed 1 of 2 possible weapons who dropped in raids
    -To have access to this raids you needed to be attuned to them

-----------

It was the small things like this that made Vanilla in my opinion What do you guys think?

Props to MadSeasonShow's video where i got this information:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrNaE5pNfI&t=3m16s
    Like everything in classic. It's not for everyone. You need a complete raid team dedicated to this cause to be able to pull it off, and blizzard rather NOT spend resources on stuff that only 1% of the playerbase is gonna see. That is 100% understandble.

Cause for me ... I would never be able to see all this, nor can I care for it. So blizzard spend alot of hours/manpower on stuff I paid for but never get to see.

I dont care, but I see why they removed that. Now everything is accesble for everyone so if you pay money for this game, you can atleast get to see where they spend it on on your personal level (lfr/normal/hc/mythic)

Also, can you please go outside and make a walk or something, your name is tied to every vanilla post so far

- - - Updated - - -

What's better in a MMO game?
    - A system where you have to interact with other people in a 'normal' manner in order to get the most out of the game.
    OR
    - A system where you can be the biggest asshole or remove all chat channels and still get most out of the game.

Automated queuing systems for PvE content has been the biggest downfall of this game, period. (imo)
    You can still only use the chats to form group. Or you can us the automated queuing system and accept the fact that there are ppl in there that only want to complete their dungeon etc.

I dont want to be social to everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpymuppet View Post
    Also, can you please go outside and make a walk or something, your name is tied to every vanilla post so far
    Not a valid option. No life monday for me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    I remember, it was a real guild effort to craft the 40 cloacks and was a big time when i got mine.

And yes, those things made wow magical. But as others said, i don't thing the acutal wow playerbase can handle or want that. Can't wait for classic and hoping for a good community.
    Dont worry, the players that dont like classic wont stay and play classic. Im pretty sure they will complain on the forums how bad it is tho, but you wont encounter them in groups to do attunements etc.

I hope classic will do good. That is benefitial for almost all wow players + blizzard.

I really loved all these things. Hydraxian reputation, the cloak or all the small stuff that required you to do something to be raid-ready (resistance gear!). I miss it.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    I never did end up making that cloak.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    For the time, it was an epic adventure.
    Everything was new and awe-inspiring, with so very few players actually raiding that it didn't hurt the playerbase as a whole.

If they did that today:

Rando #1: "I'm not equipping it; it lowers my theoretical DPS by 0.3%!"
    Rando #2: "I don't feel I should have to go back to an old raid just so I can get into the current one!"
    Rando #3: "Cheap stall tactic employed by Blizz to increase playtime; down with gated content!"
    Rando #4: "OMFG this is soooo alt unfriendly!"

Man, the list could keep going and going...

i have the cloak and it's completely shitty, tedious and annoying attunement. Glad shit like this is gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpymuppet View Post
    You can still only use the chats to form group. Or you can us the automated queuing system and accept the fact that there are ppl in there that only want to complete their dungeon etc.

I dont want to be social to everyone
    You don't want to be social ...in a MMO game... but still want to do everything in the game? Hmm... maybe you're looking for a different game...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

7+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of things like this in the early days. How about the attunement process early in the TBC days. Could you even imagine the rage if something like this was implemented today before you could step foot in a raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Speaking of things like this in the early days. How about the attunement process early in the TBC days. Could you even imagine the rage if something like this was implemented today before you could step foot in a raid.
    That i agree is very annoying. TBC is too hardcore for me...i will never play a classic server of TBC...ever.

Yep. I remember doing all of this. It meant your guild had to kill Onyxia 40 weeks in a row to have a chance at defeating Nefarian. But you certainly had time to do so, since getting past some other bosses like Vaelestraz was flipping insane in BWL.

The guild had a designated skinner for Onyxia. No one else would be allowed to skin. Or, once everyone had cloaks, you might /roll for the chance to skin Ony.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2018-09-25 at 04:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    For the time, it was an epic adventure.
    Everything was new and awe-inspiring, with so very few players actually raiding that it didn't hurt the playerbase as a whole.

If they did that today:

Rando #1: "I'm not equipping it; it lowers my theoretical DPS by 0.3%!"
    Rando #2: "I don't feel I should have to go back to an old raid just so I can get into the current one!"
    Rando #3: "Cheap stall tactic employed by Blizz to increase playtime; down with gated content!"
    Rando #4: "OMFG this is soooo alt unfriendly!"

Man, the list could keep going and going...
    Hell remember the early AQ40 days. You actually had to go back to things like Maraudon (40-49 at the time) to get blue non lvl 60 Nature resist gear to fight Princess Huhuran. Craftable NR gear wasn't added into the game until later.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I think BT attunement was way too tedious, since you basically had to backtrack all previous raids in order to get there. It wasnt a problem for regular players that started at the start of TBC, but it was pretty bad for late-comers. The only thing that made it doable was that TBC had a truckload of players on every stage of raiding, so even if your guild didnt want to boost you or you didnt want to get boosted, you could find people on your level to get attuned. With people devouring content as fast as they do now, attunements no longer have a place. I wish they made large scale events like ToC, though.
    Attunements also did create community at some levels. While many guilds did not put catch-up raids on the calender, it was quite common for guildies to help alts or new people out when it came to finding groups for the lower raids. While i did not raid in a top end guild who had to deal with the BT attunement, we did quite often gather up groups of 4-6 people to help new people in Kara, Grulls and SSC/TK to get their attunements just for the good will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post

The thing was, that since there was no catch-up mechanic in TBC, the entire rought was actually your natural route of progression through the entire expansion. Even if you started late, you would still be able to find groups starting at the first level and even some who did it quite fast with the help of better geared characters.

A system like that used in TBC does not really work when you have catch-up mechanics, since it will require you to do content below your gear level and just put a massive tome-dumb in front of you before getting access to content, which gave you reward. But without the catch-up, you will rarely be asked to do something in the attunement chain which you would not already be doing for the gear upgrade.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    You don't want to be social ...in a MMO game... but still want to do everything in the game? Hmm... maybe you're looking for a different game...
    Where did I say I dont want to be social?