Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    It is. They're lowering divorce rates by not getting married.
    I mean, divorce rates are being reduced, but that's a good thing. Or at least, it can be taken as a good thing, in that people are less likely to get into relationships that won't work out long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    No tax incentives for marriage where you are from?
    In the US at least it doesn't make sense to be married if your income is less than $30,000 a year. This is doubly true if you have kids since that gives you access to the Earned Income Credit which in many cases can equal a tax return of $4-5,000. Which is pretty much an additional 20% of your income all given in a lump sum.

The EIC is probably the most abused credit in the states, but it's also the largest vehicle we have for lifting families out of poverty since if a family can be really strict for three years or more that credit could equal 20-30% down on a house. Possibly more depending on your market.

Basically the economic incentives in the US have only kept pace with childbearing and not with incentivizing marriage itself with things like the standard deduction only being twice the single standard deduction, but the deduction for head of household being 1.5 times the standard single deduction.

In other words marriage only really is incentivized by the government once you make enough money to be itemizing your taxes. That means having a mortgage, charitable deductions, unreimbursed business expenses, medical costs in excess of 7.5% of your AGI and property taxes all in excess of $24,000.

Regarding the OP, amazing what happens when husbands contribute to the housework isn't it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I mean, divorce rates are being reduced, but that's a good thing. Or at least, it can be taken as a good thing, in that people are less likely to get into relationships that won't work out long-term.
    No because apparently if you don't get married you're a woman hating virgin incel scum.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    No because apparently if you don't get married you're a woman hating virgin incel scum.
    That's an entirely separate "issue" that has nothing to do with divorce rates going down, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Could be because marriage is more of an economic choice / solution over anything else. At least where I'm from. Personally I find marriage to be silly, the only reason I would do it is if it gave any economic benefits. Which it hardly does atm.

Marriage is nothing of a "status" here in Europe.
    Agree. I live in Europe and do support this statement. Marriage is not a status. Marriage is mostly a romantic thing "having your special day". Or something for economic reasons. Like taxes. Or even for ensuring that your house or other property will go to your partner instead of your parents. You can do have a "partner contract", which is cheaper and does the same thing. But is not recognized by every country in the world. So marriage is an option then. Have been with my "girlfriend" for 7 years now. We have talked about marriage a lot. We have a house and all that for years now... We want to be married. But we have other priorities now. So it will happen when it happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I was born in 86, my Wife 85.. We've been married for over 11 years - and most of our friends are legit in the same exact boat.. We learned from the mistakes our parents made?
    this person gets it

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't even know how to get their friends correctly or know how to treat them, so I am not sure why it would be expected Millennials or anybody now days with such fucked up priorities would be able to sustain a long lasting loving relationship. Nothing wrong with being selective of course, I am, but there is a fine line between being selective, and just being a shitty person, who is also a shitty judge of character of others.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Seeing as it’s in proportion to the number of marriages, I’d say that’s an encouraging statistic. Divorce sucks and hurts everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    HOW DARE MILLENIALS CAUSE--wait, what? Oh, it's not a negative thing. Huh.
    According to the article, it's a bad thing. At the end of the article, "Fewer divorces, therefore, aren’t only bad news for matrimonial lawyers but a sign of America’s widening chasm of inequality." Not that I buy this premise, as I'll allude to below.

I'd like to see the report, as the change in ratios is pretty small even over time. What I did gather from the links in the story: what's really happening is that instead of people jumping straight into marriage, younger generations are doing "trial runs" referred to as cohabitations where you basically live together w/o officially getting married. Again, from the sources that were linked, cohabitation is on the rise but the transition from cohabitation to marriage is down because there's also an increase in cohabitation failures.

Simply put, older generations jumped straight into marriages while the newer generations added an extra step before marriage. This extra step is not resolved by divorce, so it's not included as a divorce statistic. However, from what I gleaned from the multiple reports and links offered by the article (admittedly some of the stuff is pretty vague), if cohabitation failures were included as a form of "divorce", divorce rates would be the same or higher. Basically, the reason the ratio of divorces to marriage are on the decline for younger generations is that the relationships are failing before they get their marriage certificates. On the plus side, if you start with cohabitation and things work out well, getting married will likely be more durable than if you didn't test the waters.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Or the # of incels, soy infused beta creepers and MGTOW movement peeps are increasing.
    Out of interest good sir, how old are you?

yeah op, damn women ruining our marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Could be because marriage is more of an economic choice / solution over anything else. At least where I'm from. Personally I find marriage to be silly, the only reason I would do it is if it gave any economic benefits. Which it hardly does atm.

Marriage is nothing of a "status" here in Europe.
    Same. my wife and i never felt a "need" to get married, but it made more sense to be so for taxes and benefits and such.

Why are less married people a negative thing?

this is true, but the rate of divorce per marriage is also lowering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Navitas View Post
    Why are less married people a negative thing?
    a lot of people think that a married husband and wife with 2.5 kids is the core unit of society, but this has only been true for the last 70 years or so, chiefly among middle and upper middle class whites.

The age of the baby momma or baby daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    The age of the baby momma or baby daddy.
    is nothing remotely new, historically speaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    a lot of people think that a married husband and wife with 2.5 kids is the core unit of society, but this has only been true for the last 70 years or so, chiefly among middle and upper middle class whites.
    Are you certain about this? I can only speak anecdotally here but in my circle it seems that the lower income brackets are the ones who buy into this core society thing. Anyone with fewer children and more financially stable than them seems to constantly get asked when they're going to have more children.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Are you certain about this? I can only speak anecdotally here but in my circle it seems that the lower income brackets are the ones who buy into this core society thing. Anyone with fewer children and more financially stable than them seems to constantly get asked when they're going to have more children.
    point taken, it has kind of leaked into western thought in general, but that's the class that originated that societal ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, as kids get older, parents take on less responsibility every day and they can be more spontaneous. I can leave my kids at home by themselves for multiple hours cause they’re of age. If we want to travel, kids just go to Gran and Grandads house. Pretty simple. When kids are young, yeah, it sucks and they take up a lot of your free time.
    The time you spent raising them is kind of gone though... It also seems like a lot of stress. I don't mind having kids, I just want them later in life when shit slows down not at the peak.

#nodisrespect.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you do anything but projection... Your telling us more about yourself than topic.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-09-26 at 05:32 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Americans seem kind of obsessed with marriage to me :P And they seem to marry so young also(early twenties).
    But maybe it just seems extreme to me becomes I'm Swedish. Northern and western Europe seem to marry late compared to most countries in the world, but we are the ultimate late bloomers of the world when it comes to marriage.
    Seems like Americans don't marry as early as I thought - but still a big difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...first_marriage