Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Deleted
    Not woke enough, the character is still white and straight and attractive and has all limbs and doesn't hate men.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    But i do like how they are trying to push this as the first superhero movie with an female as the lead, ignoring the hundreds of other movies that paved this road and without the agenda pushing bullshit.
    Well, Marvel's maybe. But I don't really have a problem with the movie, so much as I think Brie Larson is just not right for the role. The teaser didn't scream any feminist agenda, though releasing it on a talk show does have that "lets show it to folks that don't like our stuff" feel. The "she's the most powerful" comment also is out of place since all the power level should be conditional. Hulk might be physically strongest, but that doesn't mean he can shoot lasers or lightning or whatever.

Now the Black Widow movie, that feels like a "we need to give BW a movie to be 'fair' since all the guys on the Avengers got their own movies, or we're sexist!" thing. But she'll be as boring as a Hawkeye movie! Sure she has a long rich history that is basically the same as a billion other non-superhero movies. Scarlet Witch is getting a streaming tv show, but I'd rather have a movie for her and a tv show for Black Widow. Scarlet has a mostly-unknown background, super powers, loss and a future.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    She looks about as expressive as planky.

But i do like how they are trying to push this as the first superhero movie with an female as the lead, ignoring the hundreds of other movies that paved this road and without the agenda pushing bullshit.
    Hundreds? Name just one hundred female-led superhero movies and I'll be impressed. Then name a hundered from the MCU as what it's actually being pushed as is the first MCU movie with a female lead. You don't honestly think everyone already forgot about Wonder Woman, do you?

They are? I have not seen this.

[QUOTE=Svifnymr;50190396]Well, Marvel's maybe. But I don't really have a problem with the movie, so much as I think Brie Larson is just not right for the role. The teaser didn't scream any feminist agenda, though releasing it on a talk show does have that "lets show it to folks that don't like our stuff" feel.

Aye, you have to be looking for a reason to get riled up to think the teaser trailer is pushing some feminist or SJW agenda.

To that last bit, I don't have an issue with them trying to expand their revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Now the Black Widow movie, that feels like a "we need to give BW a movie to be 'fair' since all the guys on the Avengers got their own movies, or we're sexist!" thing. But she'll be as boring as a Hawkeye movie! Sure she has a long rich history that is basically the same as a billion other non-superhero movies. Scarlet Witch is getting a streaming tv show, but I'd rather have a movie for her and a tv show for Black Widow. Scarlet has a mostly-unknown background, super powers, loss and a future.
    It feels like its being forced, but if they come up with a good premise, I'm all for it.

And why would a Hawkeye movie be boring?

Regarding Scarlet Witch, there's very little about her in the MCU we don't already know, so no sure where you are coming from suggesting that she has a mostly unknown background.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    To that last bit, I don't have an issue with them trying to expand their revenue stream.
    Bringing more people to your product is fine, changing your product to appease a market that is not interested in the product is a bad sign for folks that liked the first product.

It feels like its being forced, but if they come up with a good premise, I'm all for it.

And why would a Hawkeye movie be boring?
    Because he's sooooooo boring! He's not a super hero, he's a silly man with a bow vs an army of aliens!

Regarding Scarlet Witch, there's very little about her in the MCU we don't already know, so no sure where you are coming from suggesting that she has a mostly unknown background.
    A lot of the background is hinted at in the story, aside from a stark bomb connection. Their powers were brought out by the Mind Stone I believe, but they didn't really expand on it in the movies. I just think her background and her powers make for a better setting. Her and vision is much more more interesting than the Black Widow/ Hulk hint from Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Think it's possible that, considering we know she doesn't remember her human upbringing, she's got an alien personality going on? You know, something like a... idk, Kree?
    Thank you!
    I've been wondering if everyone has been completely ignoring that fact; Kree and human emotion are "reputedly" incompatible. They're more like uptight arrogant Vulcans to borrow Star Trek.

Just like how Black Panthar was the first black hero film and completely ignore blade. People have crap memories

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Just like how Black Panthar was the first black hero film and completely ignore blade. People have crap memories
    And Spawn before that even!

I don't see many serious people making this comparison, maybe some kids who've only been around since the MCU started up. Certainly Black Panther was the first black lead in the MCU (something that people have made a big deal about) and it's the only superhero movie I can think of with such a strong African vibe (unless you count The Ghost Who Walks... but let's not.)

Bringing more people to your product is fine, changing your product to appease a market that is not interested in the product is a bad sign for folks that liked the first product.
    I don't believe we have any evidence to suggest anything was changed to appease a market.

Because he's sooooooo boring! He's not a super hero, he's a silly man with a bow vs an army of aliens!
    Why would a Hawkeye movie have to pit him against aliens?

A lot of the background is hinted at in the story, aside from a stark bomb connection. Their powers were brought out by the Mind Stone I believe, but they didn't really expand on it in the movies. I just think her background and her powers make for a better setting. Her and vision is much more more interesting than the Black Widow/ Hulk hint from Ultron.
    I just don't think there's remotely as much there as you think there is, but I suppose the TV show (do we still call those TV shows?) will show us one way or the other.

Why would a Hawkeye movie have to pit him against aliens?
    Avengers 1 :-p

Avengers 1 :-p
    I'm aware, but you stated if he had his own movie it would be boring. Hence my question of why would you pit him against aliens in his own movie?

I'm aware, but you stated if he had his own movie it would be boring. Hence my question of why would you pit him against aliens in his own movie?
    I didn't say he was going to fight aliens in his own movie, I said he's not a superhero, he's just a silly man with a bow vs an army of aliens. If he's too silly to pick up an alien weapon when fighting them, why would anything he does possibly matter?

I didn't say he was going to fight aliens in his own movie, I said he's not a superhero, he's just a silly man with a bow vs an army of aliens. If he's too silly to pick up an alien weapon when fighting them, why would anything he does possibly matter?
    If you're complaint is that he didn't use alien tech on the aliens, you should have stated that way more clearly in the first place

But iirc he was relatively effective for a normal person in that fight.

Whatever man, this conversation is exceedingly silly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSavy View Post
    you do realize there have been BLACK super hero movies who made a killing before? spawn, blade just to name two....
    Sadly, this is wrong. For a movie to just break even, it has to make three times what it cost to make it. Everything after that is considered cake. An example of making a killing at the box office would be Raiders of the Lost Ark. Cost around $18m to make, and made more than $380m at the box office. This does not take into account marketing & after sales through the years.

Spawn cost $40m to make and only earned $87m at the box office. Blade cost $45m and earned just over $130m. By definition, neither really broke even. Though Blade generated enough to earn some sequels. Why do you think Spawn 2 has been in Limbo since 1998? And the main issue with Spawn is that while his character is certainly a black guy... after he becomes Spawn, he just becomes a mask. And there narrative for the Black community to rally behind doesn't exist. Not much different with Blade.

Black Panther though? Oh my god... the vast majority of the cast is black, in a black nation, with a black hero fighting a black villain. Black Panther cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200, and made over ONE POINT THREE BILLION DOLLARS.

Black Panther is the first Black-centric movie to appeal to African-Americans that legitimately made a killing.

If you're complaint is that he didn't use alien tech on the aliens, you should have stated that way more clearly in the first place But iirc he was relatively effective for a normal person in that fight. Whatever man, this conversation is exceedingly silly.
    *shrugs*
    Mr Bow & Arrow was effective against them Chitauri.
    Still, this is the MCU where aliens seem to have the same weaknesses as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Thank you!
    I've been wondering if everyone has been completely ignoring that fact; Kree and human emotion are "reputedly" incompatible. They're more like uptight arrogant Vulcans to borrow Star Trek.
    I was guessing she was somehow intermixed with Mar-vell's memories and trying to find herself in all of that. Last I checked she has mixed human/kree DNA in the comics so perhaps that is the route they are going. The origin movies tend to pull bits and pieces from the comics, and I'd say that's a key piece since her parents weren't a kree and a human, it was accident related. At least how I recall, who knows with how things are retconned nowadays.

that said, I think the "smile" remarks are just people trying to trigger others for yuks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the thing about Black Panther was it was the first majority black super hero movie. Blade was the first super hero filmwith a black LEAD, but the rest of the film was fairly fucking white. While Black Panther was like 95% Black people.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2018-09-26 at 11:46 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It's not that she's not smiling that bothers me. It's the bored look in her eyes. A lot of our body language comes from them. From what I have seen so far she has no charisma or life in her eyes. Hope the next trailer will be better.