Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Genuine Question: Why such a Want for 2-handed Frost?

I was aboard the DK train during WotLK up through MoP, then picked DK back up during BfA, so I experienced both versions of DW Frost and 2h Frost throughout the times.

Now, just personal opinion, I kind of disliked the 2h Frost incarnation as DPS in WotLK, but that's not the point of this thread.

What is the appeal of 2h Frost currently? I understand people have been wanting 2h Frost to make a come back for a while, but at least since WoD what is this mass resurgence?

Would it not play exactly as an Arms warrior currently?

- Obliterate and Mortal Strike: heavy hitter ability, both have cooldowns to wait for (runes regenerating or just static cooldown on MS)

- Frost Strike and Slam: filler until ready to use Obliterate/Mortal Strike

- Howling Blast and Rend: to put your DoT's up... although Howling Blast functions as spammable AoE, but you Arms has Whirlwind for that.

- Death Grip and Charge: distance closer, just functioning differently.

- Both specs can talent into additional damage cooldowns, AoE abilities, or even defensive abilities when the situation calls for it (PvE and PvP).

I suppose I'm missing something, but it comes off to me the appeal of 2h Frost is that of an Arms Warrior... without being an Arms Warrior.

Also, I'd like to note that I currently main Frost for BfA, if that is of any relevance to this piece.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2018-09-26 at 07:59 PM.

It just looks cooler, and it would not be much of a technical hurdle to add a glyph in for it, that is really all we are asking for.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    I was aboard the DK train during WotLK up through MoP, then picked DK back up during BfA, so I experienced both versions of DW Frost and 2h Frost throughout the times.

Now, just personal opinion, I kind of disliked the 2h Frost incarnation as DPS in WotLK, but that's not the point of this thread.

What is the appeal of 2h Frost currently? I understand people have been wanting 2h Frost to make a come back for a while, but at least since WoD what is this mass resurgence?

- Obliterate and Mortal Strike: heavy hitter ability, both have cooldowns to wait for (runes regenerating or just static cooldown on MS)

- Howling Blast and Rend: to put your DoT's up... although Howling Blast functions as spammable AoE, but you Arms has Whirlwind for that.

- Both specs can talent into additional damage cooldowns, AoE abilities, or even defensive abilities when the situation calls for it (PvE and PvP).

I suppose I'm missing something, but it comes off to me the appeal of 2h Frost is that of an Arms Warrior... without being an Arms Warrior.

Also, I'd like to note that I currently main Frost for BfA, if that is of any relevance to this piece.
    Not speaking for everyone but this is why I want 2 handers back for Frost:
    > There is currently no 2 hand heavy hitting DK spec. This is just wrong for the class fantasy.

> Arms can be compared like you did in your example but there is always overlap in classes, not to mention I don't really see what's making Frost so much more different from Arms regardless of weapon choice. Couldn't the same be said for Fury and Frost currently using the points you used?

> The number of 2 hand melee DPS specs to Duel Wield dps specs is HEAVILY in favour of Duel Wield: Ret, Arms, Unholy and (Kinda Survival) Versus Fury, Frost, Assassination, Sub, Outlaw, Windwalker, Enhancement, Havoc and Feral (Kinda). That's 4 versus 9. It doesn't have to be exactly balanced but due to class balance and what's performing best atm I am finding all my melee dps classes use one handed duel wield.

> 2 Handers are extremely popular and have (subjective) some of the best looking weapons in the game.

> The lore and theme of the spec/class is based around great 2 handed rune weapons. There are too many lore examples to use (and far too few DW examples). It's like preventing a Fire Mage using a staff or a Ret paladin using a mace.

I think the main point however is player choice and how that was taken away from us. Most DKs who ask for frost 2-handers don't want Duel Wield removed but the option. I can see how this could potentially make things more complicated in terms of gameplay and balance but I refuse to accept that a cosmetic option that makes everyone happy is impossible.

Frost DKs should be able to transmog 2 handed weapons just like Enhance Shamans and Holy Paladins should.
    Last edited by mmoc3a4005b47b; 2018-09-27 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It just looks cooler
    how much cooler do you wanna get. isn't frost ...cool enough?

I just like the aesthetic of a 2H sword over the abomination of wielding two 2H sized one-handed swords on your hip. I play a Blood Elf and it was difficult for me to find a transmog for my weapons that didn't clip through the ground, look bigger than my character, or look otherwise cartoonishly stupid on my Frosty death machine who looked badass otherwise.

I also want to play a 2H DPS spec on my DK that doesn't have a pet . I like the playstyle of Frost over Unholy.

I don't even care about equipping them I just want the visual.

Your points in the comparison are more damning than you know. My problem with Frost is the fact that it has lost too much "Death Knight" flavor. It has been designed too similarly to the Warrior class with a sprinkle of Frost damage. Diseases? Summoned undead pets? Survivability by stealing life from your enemy? It's all been pushed to the side for the feeling of a "Frost Warrior" instead of a "Death Knight". Whether we wield a 2H weapon or two singles doesn't even play into that problem.

But, the reason why we should at least have the option of wielding a 2H wep was covered well by Fruitbat above.

It just looks cooler, and it would not be much of a technical hurdle to add a glyph in for it, that is really all we are asking for.
    "Cooler" is subjective, I play frost on my DK because I can Dual Wield, and so always will play frost. If a spec allows me to Dual Wield, I will play it even if it's trash DPS.

We have to run after 2 damn weapon to upgrade, instead of one with 2hand frost. In legion it was not a problem, you had 2 one handed weapon with the artifact. The first time I had to upgrade weapon in bfa, I had to wait for a second one handed weapon because the artifact can't be split in two.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you blind?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    "Cooler" is subjective, I play frost on my DK because I can Dual Wield, and so always will play frost. If a spec allows me to Dual Wield, I will play it even if it's trash DPS.
    I've mained my Death Knight since they were introduced in WotLK. I've always preferred the look of a 2H weapon. I remember pleading with Ghostcrawler back in the day to just keep 2H viable. Now Legion has come and went. The choice is no more.

While I made the best of the situation over the years using 1H weps that sheath to the back, somewhere along the way they stopped making new swords that do so. And I'm sick and tired at looking at the old Slayer of the Lifeless model that I have been using for so many years.

I'm not even playing my Death Knight this expansion, which is a first.
    We will see if my new main keeps me interested in this game, because I wouldn't have played this long if not for the Death Knight class.

7+ Year Old Account
    because we can't.

If we couldn't dual wield, we'd want that.

To ask why we complain is to ask why the leaves fall.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think this looks cool enough

Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

cause 2h is cooler and suits the fantasy of the spec and class better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post

I rolled a death knight to wield a massive runeblade and unleash the icy winds of Northrend to lay waste to my enemies. I did not roll a death knight to be a slow rogue in plate armor.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

There are quite a few 1h swords that cross on the back, but again, stuff like this is all subjective. Personally My DK, who is an Alt and hasn't seen much play since legion has what I, and quite a few others, a sweet transmog using the 1h, Blades of Savagery, off of Mother Shahraz in Black Temple. Eh, but everyone in entitled to their opinions. Sorry to hear you don't plays yours anymore.

Deleted
    It was a feature of the game that was removed. It had a more fun feel to freeze them solid and shatter them with a sledgehammer obliterate crit. It was very concrete, massive numbers, also the weapon animations were much more fitting of the massive damage frost did.

If anything, I'm surprised Unholy wasn't the Dual-Wield spec, since they're traditionally into wet noodle-esque attacks and haste, and even Blood can have some Parry-Riposte-y defensive feel if dual-wielding. By choice, not dual-wield only, mind you. Blood just wouldn't be redonkulous enough without the 2-hand weapon. Point is, it must be possible to go with either, customization is fun, even if it has no consequence on numbers. It felt weird when they removed Blood and Unholy's Dual-Wield option in the first place.

I was traditionally a 2-hand player due to convenience, it made it easy to transition from Blood to Frost. I only did some Dual Wield when I ended up with two good enough off-spec 1-hands.
    Last edited by mmoc3b65426e43; 2018-09-26 at 09:38 PM.

Because this is what most people think of when they think Frost Death Knight:

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I think this looks cool enough

You know why that looks cool?

Because that's Thassarian. And he's wielding TWO 2-handed swords.

Aesthetics. More choice is always better, especially when it actually makes sense for the class. Same reason people wish single minded fury would come back.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    One word: Frostmourne.
    Two words: Lich King.