Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    What does it matter if it was a pr stunt? If I give 100 million dollars to cancer research but ask for my name to be spread around would you say "He's just doing it for Pr." It literally doesn't matter if it still helps someone. Some people are so cynical.

Christ, people have to be cynical and stupid by overlooking things.

Yes, he has an infection but you really need to credit what else is actually been sent to him, they've clearly thought about it.
    How many people actually buy physical copies of their game? Not many but lots like to buy the Collector's Edition. Well looky there. A signed Collector's Edition copy of BFA.
    That could be lobbied for serious cash. Easily thousands which will credit him with a decent chunk to get his health sorted.

Blizzard can't *guess* how much money it will cost to get his health sorted, what they can guess is the value of their products and how to increase the demand for it... Voila, signatures! Are people expecting them to be doctors, health insurance and the rest now to estimate how much care he needs?

Anyway, back to the PC, giving him a decent PC will allow him to work. This work being DeadlyBossMods, making that addon which he will get more money via donations, his already stated main flow of money income! Derp.
    If you have noticed... MMOchampion and Wowhead have BOTH been advertising his need for support on his behalf and despite how Blizzard monitor it, they will turn a blind eye especially for him because he has helped their game be accessible.

Read outside the boxes people.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2018-09-26 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Shame what they really should have done is ban all dbms years ago
    lol, said the only person to die from raid mechanics every time. they should ban you for being a horrible player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    DBM has caused a lot of design issues as well as you highlighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    lol, said the only person to die from raid mechanics every time. they should ban you for being a horrible player.
    I really did just spit my coffee out. lol
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Sephraia View Post
    Struggling guy receives a ton of free stuff to help him out
    He shouldn't be struggling. DBM has 206 million fucking downloads and this dude was barely getting $1300 a month on a good month.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    ...or you know, perhaps Blizz and MSI did it out of appreciation for his work and out of the goodness of their hearts, because they are also gamers too and have used his mods?

You tinfoil hat types are bound and determined to rot away in your jaded and miserable existence, aren't you?
    Yes, perhaps. That's why I said you cannot tell which is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Because god forbid a kind gesture simply be seen as a kind gesture. Notice that HE is the one who posted all the photos online, not Blizzard.
    Yes, that's how viral PR marketing works. But I never said that it wasn't just a kind gesture. I said you cannot tell if it was, or some icecold marketing stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    While this is a very nice move it would be even better if they would include his add-on in wow baseline and offer him a full time job at blizzard for maintaining/developing it.
    Teach a man to fish vs giving a man a fish. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    So cynical. Sometimes a gift just a gift.
    And sometimes a gift is a marketing gag, and there is no way to tell it apart.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Christ, people have to be cynical and stupid by overlooking things.

Yes, he has an infection but you really need to credit what else is actually been sent to him, they've clearly thought about it.
    How many people actually buy physical copies of their game? Not many but lots like to buy the Collector's Edition. Well looky there. A signed Collector's Edition copy of BFA.
    That could be lobbied for serious cash. Easily thousands which will credit him with a decent chunk to get his health sorted.

Blizzard can't *guess* how much money it will cost to get his health sorted, what they can guess is the value of their products and how to increase the demand for it... Voila, signatures! Are people expecting them to be doctors, health insurance and the rest now to estimate how much care he needs?

Anyway, back to the PC, giving him a decent PC will allow him to work. This work being DeadlyBossMods, making that addon which he will get more money via donations, his already stated main flow of money income! Derp.
    If you have noticed... MMOchampion and Wowhead have BOTH been advertising his need for support on his behalf and despite how Blizzard monitor it, they will turn a blind eye especially for him because he has helped their game be accessible.

Read outside the boxes people.
    You know, I didn't even consider the signed Collector's Edition. Those sell for a pretty penny. I can't even find a signed one on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    And sometimes a gift is a marketing gag, and there is no way to tell it apart.
    Sure there is:

No Blizz announcement = Gift

Blizz announcement "look what we did" = PR stunt

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Teach a man to fish vs giving a man a fish. Exactly.
    I mean, they gave him a new PC. Maybe they didn't teach him how to fish, but they gave him a new fishing rod, line, and hook.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I mean, they gave him a new PC. Maybe they didn't teach him how to fish, but they gave him a new fishing rod, line, and hook.
    I'm not saying it isn't still a nice gesture. But the man's problems stem from not having enough time or money to handle his problems. Yes, one of the things he was struggling with was a computer that was falling behind the tech demands of WoW. But that's the least of his problems.

There's no responsibility for anyone to do anything to help the guy, so it's still a pretty cool thing. I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it. I don't know how to really express what I'm trying to say in a way that won't be misconstrued. It just would have been a more powerful gesture to offer the guy a job that would let him solve his own problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm not saying it isn't still a nice gesture. But the man's problems stem from not having enough time or money to handle his problems. Yes, one of the things he was struggling with was a computer that was falling behind the tech demands of WoW. But that's the least of his problems.

There's no responsibility for anyone to do anything to help the guy, so it's still a pretty cool thing. I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it. I don't know how to really express what I'm trying to say in a way that won't be misconstrued. It just would have been a more powerful gesture to offer the guy a job that would let him solve his own problems.
    I believe he was offered a job before this (not sure how long) and turned it down, because he didn't want to move with his elderly mother and take her away from the home that her husband built for them.

It just would have been a more powerful gesture to offer the guy a job that would let him solve his own problems.
    Sets a bad precedent. Then people everywhere would be asking for a job cause they are down on their luck. This way, they fix one small issue for him and relieve just a little bit of stress. This was not about CHANGING his life, simply about improving it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The boxes and gadgets are great, sure.
    But the poor guy said he was taking fish antibiotics for months for a tooth abscess that was to expensive to fix/operate.
    This is our reality. And it's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    The boxes and gadgets are great, sure.
    But the poor guy said he was taking fish antibiotics for months for a tooth abscess that was to expensive to fix/operate.
    This is our reality. And it's horrible.
    That was already fixed.

It actually sounds like MSI sent their love to him if you read the letter.

Blizzard sent a letter, an autographed copy of the game, and 2 shirts....

So in reality you should be giving MSI 95% of the props, not Blizzard.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2018-09-26 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I believe he was offered a job before this (not sure how long) and turned it down, because he didn't want to move with his elderly mother and take her away from the home that her husband built for them.
    The nature of his work on DBM wouldn't necessarily require him to move; just maybe take a few trips into Blizzard HQ every now and then. I don't know. It just seems like as nice as the gesture of sending him a computer is, it FEELS like it missed the mark somehow.

Anyway, don't read too much into what I'm saying. I'm just expressing my initial reactions. Really all that matters is if the DBM mod is happy with the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    The nature of his work on DBM wouldn't necessarily require him to move; just maybe take a few trips into Blizzard HQ every now and then. I don't know. It just seems like as nice as the gesture of sending him a computer is, it FEELS like it missed the mark somehow.

Anyway, don't read too much into what I'm saying. I'm just expressing my initial reactions. Really all that matters is if the DBM mod is happy with the situation.
    He seems really happy! Blown away, even. He sounded so excited to tell his mother about it, it honestly made me smile when I read it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

That signed copy of a collector's edition is probably worth nearly as much as all the PC and parts, maybe even more to a collector.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

And Blizz is the reason it happened to begin with. DBM provides approximately jack shit to MSI. Oh and FYI? Autographed collector's edition of one of their expansions = $$$.

I swear, Blizz could cure children's cancer and some of you would be like... lol blizz needs publicity 4 WoW lol subs r down wut
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.