Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I would be pretty pissed too if some random girl I never met decided to drag me and my family's name through the mud while the entire nation watches and knowing that she's only doing it to score political points.

Not saying that's the case. Only Kavanaugh would know. But if he's telling the truth in all this, I think it's pretty understandable.
    Lashing out at questioning and being a complete douchenozzle doesn't help your cause though. Neither does claiming it's a Clinton deep state conspiracy when you're supposed to be non partisan as a SC justice.

There's also that Mark Judge wouldn't be caled by Grassley and Judge's girlfriend claimed to have information and wanted to testify and Grassley told her not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I would be pretty pissed too if some random girl I never met decided to drag me and my family's name through the mud while the entire nation watches and knowing that she's only doing it to score political points.

Not saying that's the case. Only Kavanaugh would know. But if he's telling the truth in all this, I think it's pretty understandable.
    Would you be four times as pissed if four women "decided to drag [you] and [your] family's name through the mud"?

You need to wake the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    You still believe this even though the 2 men that tried to say it was them were decided to be unreliable and the original pusher of the theory deleted the relevant tweets and apologized?
    Well because, in light of the convincing and extremely sincere testimony of both, one of them would have to be an absolute sociopath to put on a performance like that knowing they were lying. That would be absolutely incredible. The only thing that makes sense is that Ford is sincere that she was attacked, and Kavanaugh is sincere that it wasn't him.

Especially in light of the evidence in favor of Kavanaugh, namely the alleged people at the party all denying it, and to what degree it matters, his calendar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Well because, in light of the convincing and extremely sincere testimony of both, one of them would have to be an absolute sociopath to put on a performance like that knowing they were lying. That would absolutely incredible. The only thing that makes sense is that Ford is sincere that she was attacked, and Kavanaugh is sincere that it wasn't him.
    Well....one of them has a proven track record of lying, possibly even including today about something as dumb as whether or not he watched Dr. Ford's testimony. Or do you sincerely believe the guy who was a known party animal was also a virgin choir boy? Honestly, anger to me makes someone less credible, shows a lack of control over your emotions, not a very good quality in a judge. Should we expect him to yell at lawyers presenting cases to him because they say something he finds offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Jeez, if only there was some kind of um... what are those called again? Oh ya, an investigation! Because i actually 100% agree with you, if she and the other women are lying.
    I agree, he should have been more willing for an FBI investigation. It doesn't prove he's guilty but dancing around that when they asked him didn't make him look that innocent.

I do wonder what the FBI could possibly do with an incident that happened over 30 years ago. Pretty much all they can do is go to some people and ask them some questions under penalty of perjury. Basically what the confirmation hearing is already doing now.

Well because, in light of the convincing and extremely sincere testimony of both, one of them would have to be an absolute sociopath to put on a performance like that knowing they were lying. That would be absolutely incredible. The only thing that makes sense is that Ford is sincere that she was attacked, and Kavanaugh is sincere that it wasn't him.

Especially in light of the evidence in favor of Kavanaugh, namely the alleged people at the party all denying it, and to what degree it matters, his calendar.
    Multiple people have contradicted Kavanaugh about the extent of his drinking. Are you seriously going to believe the guy who said he's never blacked out when multiple people who knew him in college say he was a booze hound? Including his former roommate?

And for what it's worth, Whelan doesn't have a monopoly on the theory. I linked a TED Talk earlier about the problems with memory, and it begins with a woman who "knew" for certain that she was raped by a specific guy, who ended up getting convicted, but it wasn't him. Again, it's the only way I can make sense of what we know and what I've seen today.

Well....one of them has a proven track record of lying, possibly even including today about something as dumb as whether or not he watched Dr. Ford's testimony. Or do you sincerely believe the guy who was a known party animal was also a virgin choir boy? Honestly, anger to me makes someone less credible, shows a lack of control over your emotions, not a very good quality in a judge. Should we expect him to yell at lawyers presenting cases to him because they say something he finds offensive?
    I think he was justifiably angry and acted exactly as someone in his position would act. He acted like a human being who's capable of feeling emotions like frustration, anger, and sadness. This wasn't someone "saying something offensive" to him, xChurch, this has been 10 days of having his life slowly destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    And for what it's worth, Whelan doesn't have a monopoly on the theory. I linked a TED Talk earlier about the problems with memory, and it begins with a woman who "knew" for certain that she was raped by a specific guy, who ended up getting convicted, but it wasn't him. Again, it's the only way I can make sense of what we know and what I've seen today.
    You realize that Dr. Ford is a psychologist right? She seemed pretty versed on memory during the hearing and is (I'm guessing) probably more qualified to be making statements on memory than you or me.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Yea, the last time I was accused of sexual assault by a woman I didn’t know and half of the senate was using this allegation to ambush me in public to sink my nomination, I smiled and thanked them politely for it.

Nothing says “I’m credible” like saying “I’m too traumatized to fly”, and then state on national TV “I fly all the time and have my entire life.”
    Perhaps I should have been more specific, my bad. What I mean was visible outburst of rage. Anger can be find, but letting the world see it speaks of a lack of control.

I think he was justifiably angry and acted exactly as someone in his position would act. He acted like a human being who's capable of feeling emotions like frustration, anger, and sadness. This wasn't someone "saying something offensive" to him, xChurch, this has been 10 days of having his life slowly destroyed.
    Humans control their emotions, animals let it control them. There is nothing human about it, it is primal. We can be, and should be, better than that.

Also, he's still a circuit judge, this is absolutely not having his life destroyed, and it's messed up you'd even think that to be perfectly honest. With how the news cycle is these days, people will forget all about this shitshow within a week (maybe even less given Trump still exists.)
    Last edited by xChurch; 2018-09-28 at 03:35 AM.

I think he was justifiably angry and acted exactly as someone in his position would act. He acted like a human. This wasn't someone "saying something offensive" to him, xChurch, this has been 10 days of having his life slowly destroyed.
    Couldn't he be angry that his life is being destroyed and still have done it? Bill Cosby got pretty mad too, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it.

You realize that Dr. Ford is a psychologist right? She seemed pretty versed on memory during the hearing and is (I'm guessing) probably more qualified to be making statements on memory than you or me.
    Okay, well I don't know how to make sense of it otherwise. They were both extremely convincing and genuine in my estimation, and all the limited evidence we have goes in Kavanaugh's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    Couldn't he be angry that his life is being destroyed and still have done it? Bill Cosby got pretty mad too, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it.
    I was convinced of his sincerity in his opening statement by his humanity and raw display of genuine emotion, just as I was for Ford in her opening statement. All I can do is make a judgement call on how I perceive their testimony, and they were both absolutely convincing in every possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    This is starting to feel like the Cosby situation. People disregarded the first victim and she got death threats (sounds familiar....). But as more came forward, so did more evidence. Though Kavanaugh's kiddy meltdown screams more of a cornered rat, like cheeto's twitter rages at mueller.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

Humans control their emotions, animals let it control them. There is nothing human about it, it is primal. We can be, and should be, better than that.
    I think that's a horrible take. We'll just have to disagree.

Also, he's still a circuit judge, this is absolutely not having his life destroyed, and it's messed up you'd even think that to be perfectly honest. With how the news cycle is these days, people will forget all about this shitshow within a week (maybe even less given Trump still exists.)

I think people will be talking about this for decades to come, just as we still talk about Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas decades later.

I was convinced of his sincerity in his opening statement by his humanity and raw display of genuine emotion, just as I was for Ford in her opening statement. All I can do is make a judgement call on how I perceive their testimony, and they were both absolutely convincing in every possible way.
    Let's put aside the sexual assault for a second, any thoughts on the naked partisanship and claims that this is a Clinton conspiracy against him? Do you think that guy is really impartial?

Okay, well I don't know how to make sense of it otherwise. They were both extremely convincing and genuine in my estimation, and all the limited evidence we have goes in Kavanaugh's favor.
    I would have to agree. There's not enough evidence to hold this against him.

But there's still plenty else out there in his politics to disagree on. I would honestly prefer that right now, instead of the he said she said game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I can tell you that if I was in his shoes and I knew I had done it, I'd behave exactly as he did. Getting angry and lets say...passionate about your denial will convince people that you are sincere better than trying to be calm and cool. The thing is though, if you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt you were innocent, you'd calmly ask for an investigation right off the bat and sit back and wait to be exonerated. This was the stratagy that was going to be employee'd by Al Franken until his own party turned on him. He also still denies the alligations.

I think people will be talking about this for decades to come, just as we still talk about Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas decades later.
    That's only true though because it's relevant to both our current #Metoo movement and this nomination. Prior to these two events I never saw anyone discussing it.
    Last edited by xChurch; 2018-09-28 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark1023 View Post
    See what you did there. Thats called reducing someone to a skin color which you explicitly just said you were against.
    Nope. Not once did I reduce someone down to their skin color because for one were talking about two equally qualified candidates. Skin color only comes into iff (if and only if) you had to pick one person, and that one you pick is only because society generally affords more opportunities to one and not the other.

You do know the process is in reverse at an HCBU, it has nothing to do with suppressing one race over another.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The thing is though, if you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt you were innocent, you'd calmly ask for an investigation right off the bat and sit back and wait to be exonerated. This was the stratagy that was going to be employee'd by Al Fraken until his own party turned on him. He also still denies the alligations.
    "If you’ve done nothing wrong, you should want the investigation to be as fulsome and thorough as possible." Gowdy said that exact quote this year. Lets not forget republicans also pushed 'if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide' heavily when they passed the patriot act. Guess none of that applies here.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

The life of Ford was also upended, but she didn't resort to conspiracy theories that the democrats are there to get here because she was a staffer in a case almost twenty years ago.