Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I disagree. If Classic does what it needs to which is to provide a legacy experience for people who want it and garners the popularity that it absolutely can then it's a success.

If they spit on it with things like LFR/LFD then it's a failure since the intent is to go back to 2004 with this server.
    I agree with your second point, but that's not what I mean. I mean blizzard is likely gonna improve the infrastructure, smoothing out the experience, having much better servers and perhaps even make certain things work mechanically differently for a result that will not change the experience to the player (having an invisible mouse with increased debuff for every boss you kill on the molten core to get the second to last boss). About your first point, Blizzard are gonna choose one build, and that build may not be what some players wanted. It won't have the old pvp system, or it will have summoning portals when some people would think this tarnishes their experience.

My core argument tho, is that people will find stuff to complain about, and if classic isn't as successful in the long run, people will use these complaints to prevent their cognitive dissonance, derived from their nostalgia vs what vanilla truly just is, from happening.
    Last edited by Barendon; 2018-09-30 at 02:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I give it at least 2...maybe 3 years?

With a decent playerbase.

From there onwards Blizzard needs to do something...what? LoL i have no idea.
    They could do like a revamp of certain races' kingdoms relative to the story (like an emeral dream expansion where night elf/tauren zones are revamped to serve as max lvl content), and install a bronze dragon to phase back to the old zone if you want to. I'm not sure about the max lvl increasing though, if you just have Ilvl increasing that can serve as enough of a progression to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Remember that most private servers are very nerfed,so it's not a realistic comparison

I won't be hard,but it won't be as easy as most think
    Not like the gogogo mentality players will even hit 60 before quitting and talking shit on reddit anyway
    They were? I have heard this before but no proper details about it. If so, this is a relief because it might things a bit harder than what I have seen on private servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    No they shouldn't buff bosses or whatever and we aren't just going to absolutely steamroll anything anways. I personally knew People on Nostalrius/Elysium that legit played on average 19 hours per day and while they did achieve a lot, they surely didn't steamroll through the content. And this is when we consider that Nostalrius had some serious issues with packages, spells, auras etc. that made everything so much easier.

I mean of Course the content will end up being more accessible and easier overal... but some People are claiming that People will be done in a month, which is just BS.
    I hope you are correct abour this. I just get worried when I see bosses getting killed in 15 seconds on YouTube from private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin20 View Post
    They were? I have heard this before but no proper details about it. If so, this is a relief because it might things a bit harder than what I have seen on private servers.
    It's very likely that there are numerical changes (some damage values in naxx for example are brutally punishing,and you can actually handle getting hit on private servers while it would straight up kill you back then), and for the earlier raids in private servers,there are more debuff slots than on live,as the amount of debuffs you could put on mobs and bosses was very limited at first and it made for a lot of extra difficulty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    That’s my classic never will have the same feeling as vanilla had. People will ruin it with sims and meta gameplay. Sure it had the cookie cutter talents but even if you raided on the higher tiers there were still a lot of just go with the flow and it was still ok if you didn’t do a certain amount of dps.
    Keep in mind, people have already been doing "meta" play in private servers and it has in no way ruined the feeling.
    Hell, there's still no exact cookie-cutter spec for any of the casters since it highly depends on what you already have in your composition, or depending on what gear you have at your disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I think the biggest difference will be the change in mindset of players over the last 14 years. Most people will expect to see all of the content because in 2018 it's the norm. As for "we know everything now" that's not quite accurate, I guarantee that so many players will be completely lost when they enter their first dungeon and they can't just attack random targets, the tank can't snap aggro 4 mobs in a GCD and hold them, or the healer has completely overlooked the value of mana (especially at low level) and realizes he/she can't keep the group up when the tank/DPS are not coordinating. I'm confident that new players will have to learn to respect the rules the game enforces and intern will learn to respect the content, so whether they complete it or not it wont be as important if they feel they are getting a valuable gaming experience.
    I really hope this is well. The reason I want to go back to classic is because the meta on how to do dungeons in retail has changed so much. It's all about aoe down everything as fast as possible without any thought process involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I didn't heal in vanilla, but I seem to recall healers taking turns healing while some regen (five second rule for spirit?)

I had no clue back then and I imagine the healers didn't either.
    Yes... but we would wand... not just sit there :-)
    Successful people build each other up, inspire and motivate each other.

Unsuccessful people hate, blame and complain.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are correct abour this. I just get worried when I see bosses getting killed in 15 seconds on YouTube from private servers.
    Private server Content isn't just nerfed... it's more complicated than that.

Those Speedruns are most likely from other private servers that either have a bad Progression System or everyone has progressed through. If People are in Naxx gear or at least updated T1 or T2 then MC is riddiculously easy and can be done in like half an hour.

Over the Course of vanilla, many items were added to the game and others were buffed (better stats, green items became blues etc) and the debuff limit on an NPC was raised from 8 to 16. Most private servers ignore these Things and thus Raids would be way easier and faster even when they just get launched.

Nostalrius/Elysium was the only server that did it right with progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm thinking that most people are going to *get* steamrolled because their rose-tinted vision of vanilla isn't how vanilla actually was. The people who play on private servers are only a fraction of the people who will play classic.
    Before that happens, many people will say "thats not vainilla", "Blizzard failed to bring us the vainilla experience"

I really hope this is well. The reason I want to go back to classic is because the meta on how to do dungeons in retail has changed so much. It's all about aoe down everything as fast as possible without any thought process involved.
    Not being funny; but a tank in the first dungeon will be able to snap aggro on 4 mobs in a GCD...

The only reason not to bother is more that no DPS classes have anything approaching AoE at that level so there isn't any point in making pulls bigger than they have to be.

As long as you have AoE DPS classes (basically Frost mages :P) then its very easy to hold aggro on an AoE pull against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Yes... but we would wand... not just sit there :-)
    Or smack it with your weapon if a Paladin using Seal and Judgement of Wisdom. I haven't healed since the changes in Cata, I can't wait to get back to my Paladin.

I'm sure there's a few people who want to clear all the content as quickly as possible for whatever reason, but I reckon most of us (well, veterans) just want to relive the golden days and take in the nostalgia. Me, I just want to immerse myself in a world that feels like Warcraft again.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Not really but you had to down rank your spells not to run oom.
    yeah.. no. Wf ragnaros kill with at least 10+ people afk. People rather watching their character than to press buttons etc. The whole game was just a big joke compared to today, but for people back then who had 0 idea what they were doing it was quite challenging. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm thinking that most people are going to *get* steamrolled because their rose-tinted vision of vanilla isn't how vanilla actually was. The people who play on private servers are only a fraction of the people who will play classic.
    Most of the current playerbase will have no incentive to play Classic.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Players from Wrath on wards that did not experience classic wont be able to handle it. They will fold and go back to easy mode. (Current WoW)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Most of the current playerbase will have no incentive to play Classic.
    Oddly enough everyone in my guild which has been around since vanilla is going to Classic when it launches. Everyone is basically just killing time with BfA waiting.

I'm not sure we have anyone that is a Wrath baby or newer though so that may be why it's so wide spread in our group.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Oddly enough everyone in my guild which has been around since vanilla is going to Classic when it launches. Everyone is basically just killing time with BfA waiting.

I'm not sure we have anyone that is a Wrath baby or newer though so that may be why it's so wide spread in our group.
    There will definitely be plenty of people jumping in immediately, oh yeah - but, as you speculate, I would also guess that's largely for people who started playing early on.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    if they had MC/BWL/Naxx active from day 1 the only thing limiting players ability to kill bosses would be:

a) 40 people leveling to 60
    b) onyxian scale cloak
    c) attunements
    d) resist gear farming

vanilla wow content is easy compared to the raid content players do today. none of the mechanics even come close to the mechanics players deal with these days. people will walk into raids and clear them instantly, within hours.
    onyxian scale cloak, jesus. Somehow I doubt they will be doing splitruns two weeks into the launch, if it stays that way, I think we might see AQ40 done before BWL just because of the sheer time it will take to get enough cloaks, even if Onyxia will have the 5 day reset it had for a while. Also werent ZG and AQ20 on 3 day lockout? casters probably already salivating at ZHC, but as these were released way later, their gear will undoubtedly help raiding guilds to gear way faster, with better itemisation too.

It doesn’t bother me cause I never expected Classic to be anything more than a side distraction to begin with. It’ll be fun for a month or two then I’ll move on. I know what I’m getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Naxx didn't have an attunement requirement did it?

So,. we could expect players to attempt farming the trash before they even finish BWL, and get some decent drops from it.

The main issues, i think people don't or wont realize until much later is:
    - Molten core attunement runs.
    - BWL attunement runs.
    - AQ attunement runs.
    - slow mounts at lvl 40,. lots of walking until then, and STV will be huge again.
    - epic mounts at lvl 60, and cost 1000g or so.
    - no "eyeball marker" for stealth detecting mobs.
    - no group finder.
    - no guild perks.
    - no raid finder.
    - no instant teleport to any dungeon, you have to actually walk there.
    - no flying
    - no shamans on alliance, no paladins on horde, no deathknights, no monks, no demonhunters for anyone.
    - onyxia and the "demand" for dwarf priests.
    - no out of combat rezzing - that got fixed halfway through 1.x iirc.
    - most of your addont won't work, because vanilla addons are all way beyond what the game has become, and many addont didnt even exist back in vanilla,. so - that'll be interesting.
    - 40 man raids are actually pretty hard to set up when you don't have an active guild that's focused on it. The vanilla hype may not last all that long for some people, and getting new recruits to attune, etc etc is going to cause some grief.
    - Yearlong grinds for eye of sulfuras and thunderfury.
    - 40 man raids where onlly 2-3 itemss drop per boss for 40 players.
    - no personal loot.
    - no cauldrons
    - no jeeves
    - warlocks running out of soulshards mid-raid.
    - tiny 16 slot bags
    - rogues having to buy a crapton of reagents for poison and everything.

Good things though:
    - Dark iron mining, yay profit for stealth miners, since everyone will be doing molten core, or at least trying.
    - No silly "ratings" which were introduced when TBC started - maybe, i think, and hope.
    - No jewelcrafting
    - No inscription

In order for the vanilla server to really "work", i half expect blizzard to add some of the newer expansion tech and things to the vanilla experience.
    Which on one hand will ensure less player frustration, but somewhat dilute the authenticity of the experience.

We'll see in a few weeks i guess.
    Main drawback for me would be that it's part of the main subscription, no f2p, no discount,. nothing to set it apart from the main wow playerbase and the lure of the latest expansion and better gear. And no character transfers in either direction. - though i suspect they may add that option vanilla -> newer servers as well when people start to complain about it enough.

But yes, once people get enough players together, I can see molten core getting done with groups of 20 or so - after all it was being done with "dead weight" even back in the MC40 days. At least trash will be getting farmed asap for the belt drops.
    The "issues" you've listed are precisely why people want Classic. I've bold the most obvious.