Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Apparently the show has been failing to convey that, since I too was dumbfounded. The show has spent very little time demonstrating how powers may or may not work depending on the situation, something a show like FMAB was able to convey excellently on a consistent basis without devoting too much time to it.
    That's extremely strange to me. Think back and name one fight where brute force was the deciding factor, or where someone won purely because their quirk alone was strong.

Every time the main cast has lost, it's been due to a lack of understanding or experience on their own behalf. Some of them have insanely powerful quirks, but they tend not to do much of anything without practice or learning applied to their function..

Bakugo is the most obvious and consistent example of this - his explosive quirk is powerful, but it's not what makes him strong. It's his application of it and his development of his own skills to benefit himself and his quirk. He's learned and figured out how to make it work at close range, he's realised he can propel himself with it, rather than just blow things up and he's constantly learning new functions for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Apparently the show has been failing to convey that, since I too was dumbfounded. The show has spent very little time demonstrating how powers may or may not work depending on the situation, something a show like FMAB was able to convey excellently on a consistent basis without devoting too much time to it.
    Then again, you also take youtube reviewers seriously and think AMV's is the hottest shit around soooooooooooooo

Starlight end: I've got to say, it's been a while since I liked a show this much. Definitily aots for me, most likely aoty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm..this would make a great edit for shit-taste gif:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    That's extremely strange to me. Think back and name one fight where brute force was the deciding factor, or where someone won purely because their quirk alone was strong.
    The one that immediately came to mind for me was Uraraka vs. Bakugo, actually. Yes, Bakugo respected her as his opponent (kudos), but Uraraka clearly "won" the fight in terms of strategy, only for Bakugo to brute force his way to victory. Another example that I can think of is Deku vs. Muscular.

Honestly, I didn't like the most recent episode of Boku no Hero Academia. I understand why they did the episode how they did, but the fight and how the demonstrated new guy's power felt... underwhelming. So... the fight. I understand that Todoroki and Bakugo weren't able to participate (I think Todoroki's ice might have given him issues), but there really wasn't much going on in the fight; where were the quirks? The teamwork? It was just... extreme quickness and one punch and everyone was knocked out. In regards to his abilities, I can accept the fact that there's a new guy on the block that is super powerful. However, when you sell it as someone who worked his ass off to achieve this, and don't show any of it... it doesn't feel earned, especially when you're selling him as Endeavor/All Might power level. I would have appreciated this if he was, say, an outcast of the group of 1-A who was Mineta's level and then worked his ass off, sure. But to just show up and be unbeatable leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Mirio trained really hard to be that good at fighting and tactics.

Manga and if All Might had never met Deku that Mirio would of received One For All
    yes even as stupid as i am the anime shoves that down your throat really hard

It's not really anything to do with power levels at all. It's a matter of experience and understanding beating out raw power and quirks.

Mirio for example, has what could be considered a really weak quirk, but he's figured out how to maximise it for close-range combat and has a huge amount of experience in the field using it.

Just because you can fire out a wall of ice or fire doesn't mean shit in a real fight, unless you know how to use it against someone else.

Almost the entire show thus far has been putting that point across - the power levels are vague, because there aren't any power levels.
    well i just hope you know i was using power levels generically. i get that it's a lot like hunter x hunter in experience but there are times where it doesn't make much sense.

hero academia anime like when they beat stain. the show fetishizes pro heroes. the students are always in awe of pro heroes and how amazing and strong they are and the show tries to hammer it down our throats all the time. then we get a segment where a couple of the students takes down blood knife guy who has killed and wounded a bunch of pro heroes. then we get not tintin. he whoops everyone in a couple of seconds(?) then the other two students in his class act like he's not even strong compared to them.

just a technical side note i have a problem with him "rubber banding" when he's down in the ground. seems like he should just be stuck in the ground. when he uses his quirk and he goes through everything he should be invisible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power levels are stupid. They don't belong in Academia.

That's why shows like Dragon Ball are an actual blight on anime.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    The one that immediately came to mind for me was Uraraka vs. Bakugo, actually. Yes, Bakugo respected her as his opponent (kudos), but Uraraka clearly "won" the fight in terms of strategy, only for Bakugo to brute force his way to victory. Another example that I can think of is Deku vs. Muscular.

Honestly, I didn't like the most recent episode of Boku no Hero Academia. I understand why they did the episode how they did, but the fight and how the demonstrated new guy's power felt... underwhelming. So... the fight. I understand that Todoroki and Bakugo weren't able to participate (I think Todoroki's ice might have given him issues), but there really wasn't much going on in the fight; where were the quirks? The teamwork? It was just... extreme quickness and one punch and everyone was knocked out. In regards to his abilities, I can accept the fact that there's a new guy on the block that is super powerful. However, when you sell it as someone who worked his ass off to achieve this, and don't show any of it... it doesn't feel earned, especially when you're selling him as Endeavor/All Might power level. I would have appreciated this if he was, say, an outcast of the group of 1-A who was Mineta's level and then worked his ass off, sure. But to just show up and be unbeatable leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Bakugo won against Uraraka because he countered her plan. It wasn't just raw strength. She went into the fight with a makeshift plan and gave it her all. Bakugo even states when asked why he went so hard on her that it was because he took her seriously and acknowledged her as being a real danger.

For Uraraka, it was an important moment, because she built so much confidence and gained understanding of her own skills and quirk.

The fight with Muscular is probably one of the few moments when raw strength was the only answer Deku could give. And even then, it was more about having the strength to protect others. Without the kid being there as a motivating factor and a solidifcation of what being a hero really meant to Deku, he probably would have died on that mountain.

Mirio is more or less just a case in point of how unprepared the kids really are for a real life challenge. The range of quirks is endless and dealing with them on the fly is something to be learned.

No spoilers, but the start of the next episode should show extremely bluntly what being unprepared for a real fight can result in.

As I said earlier though, the whole show is about these kids preparing to enter into the dangerous world of super heroes and super villains.

On Mirios quirk: The point of its specific design as a quirk is that Mirio cant just use his quirk to frag someone from the inside. His quirk would actually be horrifically powerful if he could suddenly take up the space of the matter he entered into. So to avoid him just flying around, telefragging people left right and centre, instead his atoms force him out of other matter before they can reform into a complete solid. He's not invisible, but he's unstable on a molecular level.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Slime anime opening song:

Quick minor response with some minor spoilers.

Mirio was actually WORSE than Mineta. You'll see this next season more. You're judging him far too early, he isn't a S3 character he's a S4 character that just happened to show up early.

He would have also stomped all over Todoroki, ice wouldn't have done anything. Again, you'll see this far more later on in S4.

That being said, in regards to the ep itself.

That was the point, the class has no teamwork and didn't react fast enough. They don't have the experience they thought they had so they got dunked. They made the mistake of leaving their ranged quirks undefended by any close ranged quirks so Mirio exploited that quickly since ranged could have given him trouble while trying to take on the close ranged.

Also Todoroki could have participated, but he didn't feel like he deserved to since he failed.

Lastly, where the anime screwed up I think, Mirio took out the backline in less than 6 seconds. That's the point, he was far faster than they could react.

Bakugo won against Uraraka because he countered her plan. It wasn't just raw strength.
    I disagree. How did he counter her plan? By brute strength. He didn't activate his Shadow Clone jutsu, he fired a big-ass explosion up in the air. That's not using intellect, that's not coming up with a smart plan on the fly, that's overpowering your opponent. I didn't expect Uraraka to win, but she [i]deserved[/i] to win. Brute strength was "the deciding factor", not respecting your opponent - in fact, that's what led Uraraka to have a chance to begin with.

The fight with Muscular is probably one of the few moments when raw strength was the only answer Deku could give. And even then, it was more about having the strength to protect others. Without the kid being there as a motivating factor and a solidifcation of what being a hero really meant to Deku, he probably would have died on that mountain.
    Right, and he activated his "super saiyan" mode to deliver the decisive blow. You are correct in that no fight in the show is strictly powering up and winning, but the above are two examples of "where brute force was the deciding factor". Muscular being a more difficult case to argue because I get where you're coming from, but how the fight ended is rather obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Mirio was actually WORSE than Mineta. You'll see this next season more. You're judging him far too early, he isn't a S3 character he's a S4 character that just happened to show up early.
    Cool. I'm an anime-only viewer; this is all I can judge him on, hence why I prefaced my post by saying "I didn't like the most recent episode of Boku no Hero Academia". Maybe he'll grow on me, maybe he'll be garbage. I don't know. What I do know is what I saw from that one episode, and I relayed how I felt about it.

He would have also stomped all over Todoroki, ice wouldn't have done anything. Again, you'll see this far more later on in S4.
    Probably, considering he's supposedly around Endeavor/All Might's power level. However, I feel like freezing the ground and walls entirely would have made the fight more difficult for Mirio (notice how I said "issues" and not "would have stomped him").

That was the point, the class has no teamwork and didn't react fast enough.
    Wait a minute, how long have they been together? Didn't they [i]just[/i] finish doing the provisional license and shit? Are they teammates that have developed, grown and learned alongside one another, or are they strangers? I find it frustrating that they'll work together and combine powers in one episode and in another they stand around and don't use their abilities. This is the end of the third season, I some expect some amount of teamwork - separating into melee/ranged groups and [i]that's it[/i] doesn't cut it.

They don't have the experience they thought they had so they got dunked. They made the mistake of leaving their ranged quirks undefended by any close ranged quirks so Mirio exploited that quickly since ranged could have given him trouble while trying to take on the close ranged.
    They don't have enough experience in comparison to a year three, fair enough... this was ineptitude. I found it frustrating.

Also Todoroki could have participated, but he didn't feel like he deserved to since he failed.
    Fair point, I didn't word that correctly.

Cool. I'm an anime-only viewer; this is all I can judge him on, hence why I prefaced my post by saying "I didn't like the most recent episode of Boku no Hero Academia". Maybe he'll grow on me, maybe he'll be garbage. I don't know. What I do know is what I saw from that one episode, and I relayed how I felt about it.
    Not allowed, no disagreeing opinions!

[spoiler]Probably, considering he's supposedly around Endeavor/All Might's power level. However, I feel like freezing the ground and walls entirely would have made the fight more difficult for Mirio (notice how I said "issues" and not "would have stomped him")
    He would have just phased through the ice too still, remember that's how his quirk works. Todo freezes people in the spot there in, they're still taking up that space in the ice. If Mirio phases, the ice now takes up all of that space and when he deactivates his quirk he'll just fly out of the ice. Wouldn't have done anything basically, even if Mirio gets caught he just has to activate his quirk and fall out.

Wait a minute, how long have they been together? Didn't they [i]just[/i] finish doing the provisional license and shit? Are they teammates that have developed, grown and learned alongside one another, or are they strangers? I find it frustrating that they'll work together and combine powers in one episode and in another they stand around and don't use their abilities. This is the end of the third season, I some expect some amount of teamwork - separating into melee/ranged groups and [i]that's it[/i] doesn't cut it.
    None have ever been in a situation like that though. They rarely combine their quirks with each other, and they rarely fight as a whole class. Most of what they've done is capitalize on a specific quirk, not combining like Todo/Wind guy did for the fire hurricane. That's the point here again, is that they have no experience. Separating into melee/ranged was part of their downfall also, they left no one to defend the ranged

Their experience is in situations that they were given time to form a plan. Mirio acted before Deku/Momo could come up with anything as far as plans go, which is where the villains were lacking because usually they take time to brag or they hold back because they don't see the students as a real threat.

They don't have enough experience in comparison to a year three, fair enough... this was ineptitude. I found it frustrating.
    Well, to be fair next season will expand on that more. The issue is Mirio is far more experienced, and technically his quirk IS insanely strong. The issue is it requires far more precise control than One for All does even, and the result would be death if Mirio screwed up. It's only vaguely covered right now though by Mirio mentioning he was a failure at first

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken...nothing special for 1.st episode, fells a little delayed. And looking at manga, start of it is weirdly different, something important gets replaced by text only. In other words they streched part 1 of it a little to much.
    Also dragon replaces the i dont see the guy with a white man with head for ?, so it kinda ruins it. And he also learns water blade in manga.

dang hero academia movie sold out again. should have bought tickets earlier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    dang hero academia movie sold out again. should have bought tickets earlier
    Are you like going to the theater the day of? I don't know how it can be sold out on you twice without using the slightest bit of foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Are you like going to the theater the day of? I don't know how it can be sold out on you twice without using the slightest bit of foresight.
    the showing is tomorrow. it's a limited screening and most of the anime movies that are shown here basically have no one go to them. the your name showing I went to was like me and 4 other people and even the dragonball movies were a bit over half full

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem some people are having with Mirio is the last episode was mostly just a tease for him and the other Big 3 and an intro to the next arc of the season. You will find out way more about him, how he got to where he is, and what drives him in the next season.

It was also a pretty typical shounen storytelling trope. Introduce a new character that seems impossibly strong at first until you learn more about them and their actual abilities later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    the showing is tomorrow. it's a limited screening and most of the anime movies that are shown here basically have no one go to them. the your name showing I went to was like me and 4 other people and even the dragonball movies were a bit over half full
    Anime movies where I am sell out really fast, so I have to buy tickets in the first week or two, but I always keep tabs on what's coming before they go on sale, though announcements are generally a couple months in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I think the problem some people are having with Mirio is the last episode was mostly just a tease for him and the other Big 3 and an intro to the next arc of the season. You will find out way more about him, how he got to where he is, and what drives him in the next season.

It was also a pretty typical shounen storytelling trope. Introduce a new character that seems impossibly strong at first until you learn more about them and their actual abilities later on.
    I expect the strongest person in the best hero school in the country to be strong regardless of tropes though.

It's like wondering why the valedictorian graduate of Harvard is smarter than a Harvard freshman, or an average student from another school.