Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does one legally need a diploma?

Hi, any lawyers here? I seem to have problems finding information on legal requirements of having any kind of formal education like university degree in real life economy.

Mind you, knowledge is necessary, but is formal education needed LEGALLY?

I know there are some professions that have legal requirements like doctor (regulated profession list). But others? What happens if you practice without diploma?

Its funny, but it seems not many people know the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Hi, any lawyers here? I seem to have problems finding information on legal requirements of having any kind of formal education like university degree in real life economy.

Mind you, knowledge is necessary, but is formal education needed LEGALLY?

I know there are some professions that have legal requirements like doctor (regulated profession list). But others? What happens if you practice without diploma?

Its funny, but it seems not many people know the truth...
    Having a diploma is not a legal requirement to perform professional practice. Having a professional license (Civil, Medical, Surveying, etc.) is a legal requirement to perform professional practice. To get a license, you have to meet a certain level of education (this is where having a diploma is important), experience, letters of recommendations from your peers, and pass a licensing exam.

What professions are you referring to? Just anything in general? Like you mentioned, some professions require education in order to get licensed (physicians and pharmacists need to complete their respective doctoral programs before they can even take their license exams). Other professions require a license to practice, but not necessarily any formal education such as certain professions in finance (though some employers may not consider a candidate without formal education).

There is no legal requirement that a non-specialty employee has a formal education. Many successful people have not received a college degree. College is not always the best path to take now-a-days. Especially with the ridiculous cost of college and/or if the person is not specializing. That said, finding a good career/job may be difficult without a least an undergrad degree.
    Only a great fool would vote for a lunatic. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate on the Right.

But they must have known I was not a great fool, and would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the corrupt candidate on the Left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well like you said some jobs absolutely need that degree or any designation that follows it. Like CPA for accountants.
    Some industries like being a broker need to have some designations to be allowed to trade or be an agent. The SEC is a hard ass when it comes to these kinda of stuff.

But for regular office jobs? probably not depending on the job you want.
    The question is will they even give you an interview much less hire you without the diploma?
    Why would a company hire someone not only with no experience in supply chain management but also no education in that field?

If you start your own company you could do whatever the hell you want though. Job wise.
    Just obey the law and pay your taxes and you are golden!

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    There is no legal requirement that a non-specialty employee has a formal education.
    Whats a non-specialty? Sorry im not a native english speaker. Do you mean the ones outside regulated professions (there is only a few tbh)

Also, what happens if you practice medicine without a diploma? (just for the fun of it, whats the legal punishment and where does it come from?)

Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats a non-specialty? Sorry im not a native english speaker. Do you mean the ones outside regulated professions (there is only a few tbh)

Also, what happens if you practice medicine without a diploma? (just for the fun of it, whats the legal punishment and where does it come from?)

Thank you.
    A job that literally anyone can do.

For example you are told to call whatever phone number is given to you and asked to sell paper for example.

Or find out yourself who to call. Just sell paper.

Thank you.
    If you practice medicine without a license, it is a misdemeanor, 1 yr jail or probation depending on the mood of the judge, and 10,000 fine minimum.

If somebody died under your care, manslaughter.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-10-02 at 12:33 AM.

Thank you.
    A specialty job would be like a doctor or a mechanic. Specialized in one field for one specific task that requires further education / experience. A job like flipping burgers is a non-specialty job. Anyone can do it.

As for your other part, Jail. A fine. Probably several lawsuits from people who were treated / diagnosed from someone without a license for malpractice. All of which would win.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I love when people say things like your last sentence. It’s a way of masking your embarrassment at your own ignorance.
    You could add something smart to the discussion, i have nothing to be embarassed about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    A specialty job would be like a doctor or a mechanic. Specialized in one field for one specific task that requires further education / experience. A job like flipping burgers is a non-specialty job. Anyone can do it.
    You can be self taught, though. Unless there is a legal requirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the welding field you don't have to be certified to weld in some jobs, but to get the best paying jobs you'll need to be. I've also been told that if you want to open your own welding shop, legitimately, you'll need to be certified. Don't know if that's a local/state/federal thing.

You don't have to go to a trade/technical school to take the certification test, but it helps a lot if you don't have experience.

You can be self taught, though. Unless there is a legal requirement.
    Not for a doctor no. For a mechanic you can, but no one will take you seriously without references. To open your own shop though, you will legally be required to be certified.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

We have judges here who didn't need to pass the bar exam, they work in Justice court which is an ancient form of court. I think it's an elected position. They don't handle things like murder or anything really difficult.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    In the welding field you don't have to be certified to weld in some jobs, but to get the best paying jobs you'll need to be. I've also been told that if you want to open your own welding shop, legitimately, you'll need to be certified. Don't know if that's a local/state/federal thing.

You don't have to go to a trade/technical school to take the certification test, but it helps a lot if you don't have experience.
    All the good paying welding jobs, like shipyards, require certifications. Structural welding, bridge welding, pipeline welding, all required certs. Maybe if you are doing wrought iron gates you won't need any certification.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-10-02 at 12:38 AM.

No, there's no legal requirement. Unless you state on an employment application that you have a degree but you really don't, which is fraud. Use of fake degrees is also fraud.

There's a legal requirement to go to school up to a certain age, some religious sects like the Amish like to ignore that however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Not for a doctor no. For a mechanic you can, but no one will take you seriously without references.
    Im interested in starting a business, mostly because i dont wanna deal with "being taken seriously" or made a victim.

No legal requirement.
    But businesses do have standards. And if you want a company to give you serious consideration to a job opening that may demand some background in a particular field, a degree in that field will probably get you that interview.

Oh...starting a business, that's different. Already have a client list? or a list of potential customers/buyers?

Im interested in starting a business, mostly because i dont wanna deal with "being taken seriously" or made a victim.
    If you are starting anything in finance you need to be careful about your designation there's no legal requirements if you are just a financial consultant. However if you are going to specialize in other matters (types of tradings, estates etc) you may need to meet certain requirements and certifications from the SEC. I really can't tell you unless I know what kind of business you are thinking about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Having a diploma is not a legal requirement to perform professional practice. Having a professional license (Civil, Medical, Surveying, etc.) is a legal requirement to perform professional practice. To get a license, you have to meet a certain level of education (this is where having a diploma is important), experience, letters of recommendations from your peers, and pass a licensing exam.
    Obviously depends on the country but I think most certifications are regulated by some professional body, like the GMC, for example.

In the UK most university courses are acredited by the professional body related to that sector, if your degree isn't accredited it really isn't worth the paper its written on industry.

Thank you.
    You get arrested for practicing medicine without a license...if you somehow miraculously managed to get a license without having met the licensing authority's educational requirements because you misrepresented yourself then you can get sued for fraud.

That being said, there are ways you can legally practice certain professions that you'd normally think would require a degree, if it is allowed by the state/jurisdiction. You don't need to have a law degree to be a lawyer in four states, for example (CA, VA, VT, WA) but good luck passing the bar...

https://priceonomics.com/how-to-be-a...to-law-school/ if you're interested in finding out more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griggs_v._Duke_Power_Co.

I understand no one has yet tried to apply this doctrine to requirements for college degress. If someone wanted to kick the economic feet out from under the US higher education industry, that would be a great way to proceed, in my opinion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"