Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    STOP! International forum here and the answer will depend on where you are and what you are doing.

If you are contemplating holding yourself out as qualified for a particular specialty and then using "but a diploma isn't a legal requirement" just don't. Depending on where you are and what you attempt, that can come back to bite you in various ways.

//s//bungeebungee, retired lawyer
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Im interested in starting a business, mostly because i dont wanna deal with "being taken seriously" or made a victim.
    Maybe I am just not understanding. You say you don't want to deal with "being taken seriously" but in the professions you seem to be hinting at doing, the best way to not deal with that is to earn a degree in that profession. It shows that you have put in the time commitment to become at least reasonably knowledgeable in a particular subject and should be taken somewhat seriously.

Am I going to go to the guy who says "Yeah, sure, I think the judge will listen to me." Or do I go to the guy with a Harvard law degree?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im interested in starting a business, mostly because i dont wanna deal with "being taken seriously" or made a victim.
    Over 90% of start ups fail.
    I suggest you learn some basic skills like learning how to file taxes through H&R block before advertising your skills.
    That could be your business until you gather some capital.

Then you could get into Real Estate. Buy crappy homes but in good neighborhoods. Fix them up. Sell them at a profit.
    Live in each house for at least a few years, can't remember off the top of my head, so you can take advantage of the primary residence tax free sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know there are some professions that have legal requirements like doctor (regulated profession list). But others? What happens if you practice without diploma?
    You don't need to have a 'diploma' or have graduated to be a doctor, as in... practice medicine. You DO need one from places that require it, otherwise they won't hire you. No hire, no job. Certainly you could practice 'doctor stuff' at home, but if anything goes wrong (and it will, obviously), you get sued for millions. That's... why people generally don't do that. In many places it's also illegal to perform certain procedures without a practicing license.

Any job that says its required, requires it (but that's also up to the hiring agent).

There are plenty of jobs that don't.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a different thing entirely. If you want to start a business, it all depends on what it is.

If you start a business, you may need something to give you credibility.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You don't need to have a 'diploma' or have graduated to be a doctor. You DO need one from places that require it, otherwise they won't hire you. No hire, no job. Certainly you could practice 'doctor stuff' at home, but if anything goes wrong (and it will, obviously), you get sued for millions. That's... why people generally don't do that.

Any job that says its required, requires it (but that's also up to the hiring agent).

There are plenty of jobs that don't.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a different thing entirely. If you want to start a business, it all depends on what it is.

If you start a business, you may need something to give you credibility.
    You'll get more than sued for millions, it's a felony in most states to practice medicine without a license.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/677.990 <- OR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You'll get more than sued for millions, it's a felony in most states to practice medicine without a license.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/677.990 <- OR
    Yeah, it depends on what you're doing. "Being a doctor" is very vague. I can give a friend some medicine and it's legal... Surgery, I cannot.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab