Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    How does a one-way link from Classic to Retail affect it?
    A one-way link is a step away from being a full fledged link of sewer shit.

I would love it, more reasons to play classic while waiting for the new expansion on retail, can totally see ppl having classic as a game for downtime in retail, and since it has no progression eventually everyone will get to max lvl and itm lvl making classic raids easier to farm, i think that will happen in like 1.5 or 2 years after launch

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    As long as the link is one way, I don't see much of an issue.

The only real issue is the "I feel special" crowd that got items when they were live. Granted, if I had played during Vanilla, I would probably feel different.

They could always implement a sort of "Void Storage"esque thing, where you basically destroy an item on classic, and can use it on retail, but it's name is different "Replica" for example, or if the color scheme was different to differentiate between those who got those items when they were current.

If there is no link between classic and retail, or I can't show something on retail that I got from classic, I'll be playing classic a lot less, if at all.
    The youngest "i feel special" crowd that played during vanilla should be like on their late 20´s right? I dont see a proper adult being that obtuse or care that much about ppl getting classic transmog/rewards lol
    Last edited by Daevied; 2018-10-04 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd prefer it if Classic basically functions as if Retail/Current doesn't even exist. They don't need to be linked, or trigger achievements, or anything else IMO.

For the life of me I can't figure out why so many people try to make this simple thing into such a complex headache. Just give old WoW to the people who want old WoW, and leave it at that.
    Exactly that.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    A one-way link is a step away from being a full fledged link of sewer shit.

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/3oFyCYNrra8qo1Cv8Q/giphy.gif
    Ah, the good ole slippery slope fallacy. Gotcha. Good gif, though.

Wouldn't have any issues with that if it means attracting more players to classic.

Absolutely no achievements within classic in itself though!

Deleted
    Nah meit.

Not only would it devalue current unobtainable items on retail, it would also cause yet another wave of 'blizzard forces me to do x to get y' posts.

Keep them seperate please, and honestly the only ones who would care about getting something from 2018 vanilla on their retail accounts, are people who didn't obtain it first time around anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Ah, the good ole slippery slope fallacy. Gotcha. Good gif, though.
    I realize it is, but I prefer to keep it as compartmentalized as possible. Safe from everything, especially cookies and cream.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ppl roll need on loot for transmog, no I don't want that, not even for low level gear and BoE greens.

I've always been divided on this issue.

One one hand I hate the fact that something is unobtainable and that adds a value to something that nobody else can ever achieve.

Another is that the reason these items are so attractive is because they are unobtainable and there is a clear sense of achievement of loyality to have something you got
    super early in the games lifespan.

But I know blizzard very very well and I know you won't get it from launch and if/when they add it, it will be payment involved to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgee View Post
    Something I was thinking about the other day. What would you think if it was announced that certain activities performed on classic would translate to your retail account? For instance:

• Any mount you obtain in classic is added to your retail mount journal, including now unobtainable mounts such as the Zul'gurub tiger.
    • Any item appearances found in classic are added to your retail transmog tab. Including things such as Benediction, Rok'delar, and some of the classic Naxx weapons/armor.

Note that any mounts, titles, and transmogs that you have in retail now, and that existed in classic would not be usable in classic; you would have to re-earn/buy them to use them there (except transmog because that wasn't in classic at all to begin with). But anything "unlocked" in classic would also be unlocked in retail, essentially a one-way linking.

How would you feel if they also added special new content, like titles or achievements for your retail account by doing things in classic?
    This is one of the best ways they could go about enticing people to play classic and one that i would think is likely because it has no impact whatsoever on classic play and yet adds incentive to retail players to go over there and fluff their metrics so they can proclaim "success".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    I've always been divided on this issue.

One one hand I hate the fact that something is unobtainable and that adds a value to something that nobody else can ever achieve.

Another is that the reason these items are so attractive is because they are unobtainable and there is a clear sense of achievement of loyality to have something you got
    super early in the games lifespan.

But I know blizzard very very well and I know you won't get it from launch and if/when they add it, it will be payment involved to do so.
    Except that something unobtainable has ZERO practical value and let's be honest. People right now, playing the game don't appear to know that deep sea bags are available and are paying more on live for hexweaves. So just how much intangible value is there in having something 99% of players don't even know exists, don't care that it exists and don't have a clue that they can't get it.

For the few players retaining such items, there is no upside for Blizzard in how good they feel about whatever the fuck it is. IF they can entice people to chase after something else, then they get playtime and they are right now, all about playtime.

Indeed, if anything this is an incentive to play classic and fill the world of classic which the purists so much want to be alive.
    There should be NO phasing and crz in classic, so what's the solution to make the single realm world alive, with people, different people, but people. Give more players a reason to work for something. Not all are going to last and will quit after they reach level 10, but if your goal is to get a full set of tier 3 for a class and you're committed on getting it, it's going to take some time. Not everyone playing retail are people who quit classic after reaching level 10. People grind shit for much less for a lot longer, vanilla was not even close to the amount of grinding in the genres of mmos that came long before it. And not everyone playing retail is 12 with the attention span of a spoon, even though the game is old and aimed for newer generations.
    Since it needs to be completely invisible one way thing for classic players, all this here is just a kindergarten debate of "you can't have what is mine" and "you can't have this cause i have this". Bullshit. Unless someone told you in-game that they only play for this or that, you wouldn't be able to make the difference what people's intentions are. People lie, I could be your best friend in-game and you wouldn't know it.

Okay so someone leaves the raid and game after they get the tiger mount, so what? I got news for you with vanilla systems, winning a roll and not to even mention ninja looting will be a thing. A BIG fucking thing, and not just from retail "gogogo" people. There's actual classic players who play the game for that shit, cause that is fun for them as much as ganking lowbies. It's going to happen, it happened in private servers, it happened in live, it happened during vanilla on live, it's going to happen here.
    If someone wants to work for tier 3 for their class and a chance of a loot ROLL for a mount against other people, that shit is going to take months or even years of effort. And involve a lot of ass kissing of 40+ other people minimum to get a raid spot even. Heck you they might even make friend in the process or not. I played several years in a guild where I didn't even like the people to get what I wanted back then cause it was the best progression guild on the server, nobody knew anything about it, they thought i was the nicest guy in the guild and probably still don't know cause I progressed to a higher end guild in what seemed "good terms" after the guild broke apart due to other people's fights, had nothing to do with me.

It's not gogogo, it's fucking work. If someone wants to earn tier 3 to every single class, even classes that are in no way viable in classic Naxx40, guess how long that is going to take? Years, probably longer than any of these classic purists or anyone for that matter will even play the game.

When it comes to prestige of the old timers.
    That shit is long dead. Prestige my ass, you can buy most of the things on retail off the BMAH if you have enough gold or can just use real money, no prestige of earning them there left. Go to SW or ORG on live and i guarantee you'll see a tiger mount or 3 or 18. What's rare about that.
    Maybe exceptions are the class chain items and Scarab Lord.
    But by the way some rumors look there's going to be an average of 4 realms in region.
    That's 4 new Scarab Lords in EU and 4 in NA, maybe +/- 2-3 if the realms do a contributed effort.
    Hardly prestige breaking, specially when on retail even that shit was broken back in Wrath when Blizzard opened pristine new realms with AQ gates closed and some people got their Scarab Lord by paying 20 bucks for realm transfer for practically free without doing jackshit. Where was your prestige back then?

And it's not like there's that many Scarab Lords running around today anyway. Last one I saw was about 8 years ago in-game and i play a lot, a lot. And it's not like they make themselves hard to see. Search for in front of any current tier bank or Dalaran flight deck for one, when one is online if one is online and subbed.
    Most of them have quit or even worse, sold their account cause that prestige is worth good amount of doubloons and have it now banned out of stupidity.
    And if retail is so horrible as people describe what are we protecting the prestige for it anyway? Oh wait, yeah.. "You can't have the same thing what i have." The most basic human principle, in retardness.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2018-10-04 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    Should be no link whatsoever. People want classic they can have classic, not classic 2.0
    Except it's already going to be classic 2.0.

Real classic would have been the genuine old client, unaltered. It was already confirmed it would run on the new engine, and with probably all the old bugs fixed. If I can't moonwalk on the walls, go under stormwind all the day to Ironforge under the map, it's not classic 1.0 (and I will probably not touch it if it's not a mirror of what real vanilla was)

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    Except it's already going to be classic 2.0.

Real classic would have been the genuine old client, unaltered. It was already confirmed it would run on the new engine, and with probably all the old bugs fixed. If I can't moonwalk on the walls, go under stormwind all the day to Ironforge under the map, it's not classic 1.0 (and I will probably not touch it if it's not a mirror of what real vanilla was)
    They already said they'd be fixing bugs, so it's already confirmed not to be what it was. They also mentioned it'd be running on a modern client so people can't hack it like they can for private servers, so again, not what it was.

I don't see why not. I got no good reason why it shouldn't eork that way. Noone else got a good reason why it shouldn't work that way.

I have a few unobtainable items on my character from back then on my retail account, i really don't mind if other people can get them by playing classic. As long as it's same difficulty ofcourse.

Something I was thinking about the other day. What would you think if it was announced that certain activities performed on classic would translate to your retail account? For instance:

• Any mount you obtain in classic is added to your retail mount journal, including now unobtainable mounts such as the Zul'gurub tiger.
    • Any item appearances found in classic are added to your retail transmog tab. Including things such as Benediction, Rok'delar, and some of the classic Naxx weapons/armor.

Note that any mounts, titles, and transmogs that you have in retail now, and that existed in classic would not be usable in classic; you would have to re-earn/buy them to use them there (except transmog because that wasn't in classic at all to begin with). But anything "unlocked" in classic would also be unlocked in retail, essentially a one-way linking.

How would you feel if they also added special new content, like titles or achievements for your retail account by doing things in classic?
    Big fat no and besides, ZG was at the very tail end of Vanilla, will it even be included?

No and No. People asked for the classic experience, that isn't the classic experience so no.
    See my sig. Classic will ultimately be a fail when it comes to a majority of the population.

Interesting idea, but not something that would get people to commit to classic experience (at least for me). Rather a bonus for people who want to enjoy both games.

It shouldn't change the classic experience (and it wouldn't), so maybe it's a thing worth exploring. I'm of the opinion that the classic server will probably be a fail, but this is the kind of stuff that might make casual players return from time to time to play classic, and the only difference it would make for those "purist" guys out there, is that there would be a small increase in population.

Just don't go overboard with the idea, like new items in classic that weren't there just to be a feature for retail players. Or new mounts in retail that can only be obtainable by playing another game.

I mean its interesting for some people certainly that are collectors. But end of the day I think you should only play classic if you WANT to play classic. You should only play BFA if you want to play BFA. If you do things like this in any directions people will or might feel the need to play something they don't really want to to accomplish things for what they want to and this causes people that don't really want to be there to be there.

Mounts should cost 1000g and sit in your bags.

it would be the only way to make retail fans even bother with the endgame. But it wont happen because the classic crowd is soooo uptight about changes that wouldn't actually effect them. Like a Model switch for personal preference on new or old character models.