Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zenocide View Post
    Hopefully that stupid WoW Classic project will get canceled.
    I'm very curious to know why you would want that. How does WoW Classic affect you in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'm very curious to know why you would want that. How does WoW Classic affect you in any way?
    It diverts finite development resources and management attention.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It diverts finite development resources and management attention.
    They already said that Classic will have its own team and that no resources from BFA will be taken away. For some reason I think the actual reason is that they think that Classic will be some kind of threat that takes away players from BFA, but people aren't willing to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenocide View Post
    Hopefully that stupid WoW Classic project will get canceled.
    Hopefully it doesn't, I want to see all the complainers about:
    "levelling is too slow"
    "my class has too much downtime"
    "there's nothing interesting to do at max level"
    "this game is raid or die"
    "professions are too grindy"
    "you can't progress anywhere without a guild or circle of friends"
    "everything is time gated"
    "reps are boring"
    "can't make any gold without grinding / playing ah"
    to actually go play vanilla and see how all of the above will hit them back with 5 times the strength.

They already said that Classic will have its own team and that no resources from BFA will be taken away.
    Teams cost $$$, that cannot then be spent on other projects. So of course resources are diverted.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Teams cost $$$, that cannot then be spent on other projects. So of course resources are diverted.
    That actually sounds stupid. We have no idea if Blizzard would have even taken some other project if Classic were not to be made, its all baseless assumptions that are probably used to cover up the real reason of being afraid that BFA might lose a lot of players.

That actually sounds stupid.
    It sounds stupid that budgets are finite and that what is spent on one project cannot be spent on another?

Whatever you say, champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    They already said that Classic will have its own team and that no resources from BFA will be taken away. For some reason I think the actual reason is that they think that Classic will be some kind of threat that takes away players from BFA, but people aren't willing to admit it.
    It's not gonna take anyone away from retail. It's not a threat, it's a support to the retail and main game. If it is baked into the same sub, then it'll be a nice secondary game to the main game.

If anything, it'll bring more players back to WoW rather than push people from it. This'll be a huge financial success for Blizzard, I can already see it. It's gonna make them a ton of money.

It sounds stupid that budgets are finite and that what is spent on one project cannot be spent on another?

Whatever you say, champ.
    Unless you work for Blizzard you wouldn't know if making Classic would harm in any way for Blizzard to consider making some other project. Classic itself is probably not that expensive to make and it will most likely earn its money back with profits in the long term. The Classic hate comes from somewhere else.

Unless you work for Blizzard you wouldn't know if making Classic would harm in any way for Blizzard to consider making some other project. Classic itself is probably not that expensive to make and it will most likely earn its money back with profits in the long term. The Classic hate comes from somewhere else.
    I know that money spent on that project cannot be spent on ordinary WoW. It can do nothing but increase budget pressure on other Blizzard projects, including ordinary WoW.

At least you are now trying to argue the impact is not large, not that it cannot exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that money spent on that project cannot be spent on ordinary WoW. It can do nothing but increase budget pressure on other Blizzard projects, including ordinary WoW.
    You don't know that it wouldn't be spent on ordinary WoW either.

It's a business bet: resources that go into Classic will return a future ROI sufficient to further fund other projects.

I think your position here is not exactly incorrect but overly simplistic.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    But that is what is actually happening.. wild assumptions. And noone knows anything about details.
    You're assuming that any kind of assumption is a wild assumption. You can base an opinion on logic. It doesn't make it a fact, but it's certainly not just a wild, crazy thought. A wild assumption would be that there is absolutely nothing going on with this transition and that Mike was absolutely fine with it. It's possible, but at the same time, nothing would support such an assumption. I just am curious about the context, myself. Not whether it was bad, but how bad it might have been.

But hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    It seems, deciding to create a classic WoW reincarnation was based on populism. A small minority supported by a former WoW dev (Mark Kern) cried very loud, and the negative PR made blizzard to react.

Now Mark Kern works on WoW Classic for Blizzard ( https://twitter.com/Grummz ) , and they have hired new people to make a classic redo with modern systems (battle.net, phasing etc.).

I believe this is going to be successfull at start, but many will return to play retail or quit again, after they discovered it is not the same as like on start of classic. I liked classic because it was my very first MMORPG experience. And a new world to discover. And to learn basics about classes. All that will not be there in a classic reboot. Sure, i will create a char. Sure, i will play a little bit, but it will not be the same as 13 years ago.
    QFT. I'm sorry but when Brack said "YTYD, BYD" he was 100% right, and people will realize it way too late.
    I myself carry some of my best memories in 13 years of WoW from Vanilla and BC. But just thinking of going back to those game mechanics makes me cringe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solry View Post
    No, please, anyone, anything, but him. I'd take a rotting piece of carrot over him.
    Look at what he did to League...
    QFT!!! GC is a huge disaster!! He never thinks in long term consequences, only very short term.