Poll: Should addons in 1.12 be moderated?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    In vanilla you could write mods that were basically bots that would scan the raid, determine who needed the heal, what rank would work the best for the heal and check if other casters were casting something then cast the heal on the target that would need it and if no one needed a heal at that time it would put a hot/shield on the tank.

With all that is said it is going to use live wow's API structure but they will likely open up decursive again
    And that's exactly what I said :P

AVR was always against TOS but it was difficult to detect back then, there was no streamers, no actual cheat detection engine, etc.
    Warden has been in the game since forever, and ofc there's server-side "cheat" checks, e.g., wall gliding/sliding and other rudimentary speedhack checks, although they're much worse back then >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    You have no clue what you are talking about. Blizzard are 100% able to shut down multiple addons. Just like they shut down the "graphical boss mod" addon people used in the end of Wrath. Don't recall the name. Decurse is also another addon in Vanilla which was shut down.
    They didn't shut down the addons, they broke the parts of the API that those addons used. Blizzard can never ban on an addon by addon basis.

Let's say addon A uses the a function called GetTalentTree() and does nothing wrong, addon B does the same but it does it in a way that is harmful for the game. If you want to break addon B you also need to break addon A since the root cause is GetTalentTree().

They didn't shut down AVR in wrath, they broke the parts of the API that AVR was dependant on. Blizzard has never once shut down an addon, they've only stopped them from working. You can still install AVR today but it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    They didn't shut down the addons, they broke the parts of the API that those addons used. Blizzard can never ban on an addon by addon basis.
    In case of AVR they restricted the API, yes. But Blizzard has the ability to ban individual addons. Even individual versions of addons if I remember correctly. A long time ago some strings were datamined from the client that say something like "this addon is banned".
    Although they have the possibility, I never heard of an addon that was actually banned. Maybe they just use it for cheat/hack addons that are used in combination with external tools?

Of course this whole discussion is meaningless. Blizzard already said that classic will use the new game client, just with old data. This means the addon API will be the same as for current WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Entirely depends on which API they plan on running with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by cremor View Post
    In case of AVR they restricted the API, yes. But Blizzard has the ability to ban individual addons. Even individual versions of addons if I remember correctly. A long time ago some strings were datamined from the client that say something like "this addon is banned".
    Although they have the possibility, I never heard of an addon that was actually banned. Maybe they just use it for cheat/hack addons that are used in combination with external tools?
    Addon blacklisting via DBC was proven to be useless fairly early in WoW life-cycle, it's too easy to circumvent, the last time they relied on it was in WotLK when they had to black list GS as an emergency because it's causing immense server lag, but to address the issue properly they slightly tweaked inspect API by adding throttling which in turn killed GS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Weak auras sorta do the same thing by telling you which button to press. A particular one turns an average priest into a competitive one once you grasp that function in it. It will end up being controversial soon when more people start using it. I think to the point the devs step in.

The devs stepping in won't be limited to live rn. It will be an on going process in deciding what is appropriate for the particular game and what is not.
    But weak auras does not do the action for you. It just tells you whatever you want it to tell you. And no, it does not turn people into competitive players lol at that statement. Same as stating, that DBM turns everyone into mythic raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    You have no clue what you are talking about. Blizzard are 100% able to shut down multiple addons. Just like they shut down the "graphical boss mod" addon people used in the end of Wrath. Don't recall the name. Decurse is also another addon in Vanilla which was shut down.
    Nah people are gonna add on the shit out of this

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    No, you can't. There is no conditional for Auras that can be used in combination with ability casts.
    ....yes there is? You can write scripts in vanilla that check for buffs and make a conditional statement based around it. I do it all the time.

I suspect you will see them break certain things they may not want, but I don't think they are going to use a ton of time doing it. Most of the heavily used addons existed back then anyways ( UI mods and such ) so I don't think they will see it as a major issue.

is is more like vanilla is not difficult, just people in vanilla for the most part had no clue how to raid.
    Ok, so which top guild did you play in back in retail? If not that which top private server guild then?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Ok, so which top guild did you play in back in retail? If not that which top private server guild then?
    Deus Vox.....

Deus Vox.....
    You do have a point then.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You can write scripts in vanilla
    The subject was on current/retail macros, not Vanilla. Again, the topic is ability automation and ability usage based on conditionals, where:
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Hell you can do this with macros in retail.
    is a false statement.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2018-10-07 at 02:47 AM.