Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And that's how you know the leveling is fucked.

Side quests are suppose to be optional, But they are required here so you will be under leveled. The game has a lot of good points but the leveling is a grind and that's due to the shitty cash shop.

Has nothing to do with "rushing". Kills rewards shit Xp and just doing the main story doesn't give you enough to stay equal to the levels. That is a broken leveling system period.
    nah the only problems are all the microtransaction boosts and shit (but that has been there for such a fucking long time in AC games)

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I guess its becasue I come from other rpg games where you kinda have to do at least some of the side quests in order to be at a proper level for content - ALL of them if you want to over-leveled it, it doesn't seem so bad to me. but coupled with cash shop boosts, it does seem a bit iffy, so hopefully they rethink it and adjust leveling speeds. or something.

for me the typical experience is usually over-leveling content and feeling like I need to leave the area, before I'm done with it, but mob scaling takes care of THAT.

being able to finish an rpg via main quest only is not something I'm used to. personaly.
    They won't rethink it, Origins had it as well but the grind wasn't as bad.

That's not to say there is a night and day difference cause there isn't, But Odyssey is slower.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe The Frog View Post
    nah the only problems are all the microtransaction boosts and shit (but that has been there for such a fucking long time in AC games)
    And to sell those boosts the make the grind slow, Otherwise no one would feel a need to buy them.

They control the cash shop and they control the grind, They are not going to put it in the game and not balance the game around it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...isn't that kinda like...standard for most RPG's? That if you just stick with the main quests you'll likely be barely at-level for bosses etc.?
    Don't know what RPG's you have played but no it isn't unless we are talking JRPG's and this isn't one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    Yeah, buying a massive, open world RPG just to do the main story line is how people play these games.
    Some yes some no, I don't claim to know how millions of people play the game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

People keep saying side content being mandatory to level high enough for main story is an RPG thing...

Please cite all these RPGs that do so.

Witcher 3... not mandatory
    Skyrim... not mandatory
    Fallout 4... not mandatory
    God of War... not mandatory
    Horizon Zero Dawn... not mandatory
    Soulsborne series... not mandatory

Then if we want to expand this to even JRPGs of the gen.

Nier Automata... not mandatory
    Persona 5... not mandatory
    FFXV... not mandatory
    DQXI... not mandatory
    Octopath Traveler... not mandatory
    Xenoblade 2... not mandatory

The only game I can think of in recent memory that was both an RPG and required a lot of side content to progress properly was Dragon Age Inquisition.... Oh and surprise surprise it also had micro transactions to speed up progress. Just a coincidence though amirite?

It seems people are hampering on this excuse to try to defend a game they like. Nobody is telling you to hate the game but it's kind of funny how cumberstone side content is only required to experience main story in a game that sells xp boosters.

And sorry but if the side content is as interesting as Origins(lack there of I should say...) no I don't want to do it sorry. Glorified fetch quests are not my idea of great gameplay. Attacking outpost #3457 that looks identical to #2156 to kill guy #47 that looks identical to guy #58. Great gameplay... yawn.

Even if we just look at 2 games that have come out recently that both have XP, levels and talent trees. DQXI has bad side quests, and the game does not force you to do them to progress. In fact to beat main story you don't need to grind at all, let alone do the shitty side quests. Spider-Man, has lots of side content that some people like and some people don't. Either way it's not required to beat the game it's there for the people who gasp want to do it not forced on the people who don't want to do it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-07 at 05:06 PM.

Having a blast playing this.. 16h in, only in the 3rd zone taking my time. Side quests are fun too, some less interesting than others but generally I like doing them. I dont really do contracts, did 3-4 I think. Might do more later to get some materials. I reach the zone and it was already scaled up to 14-14 cause I over lvl it. Maybe later it wont, but atm I dont feel like I have to grind.. just do main story and side quests (! on the map), not the contracts, and I'm fine. Its really punishing on Nightmare too, I wrong side step and its game over, which I like. Great game so far, cant wait to play more.

Don't know what RPG's you have played but no it isn't unless we are talking JRPG's and this isn't one.
    I mean...pretty much any RPG I've ever played. If it's an open world RPG rather than a purely linear affair, there's a reasonable expectation that you're going to at least accidentally complete a decent number sidequests or do so with little effort to help supplement RPG.

That's kinda like...the point of open world games. Yeah, most have their linear storyline but the expectation is that's not the only thing you do. I see zero issues with an open world RPG more or less requiring you to do at least some side missions to keep at-level throughout the main story.

That's kinda like...the point of open world games.
    No, the point of open world games is to explore a living sandbox, not walk from marker to marker doing the same tasks over and over again. Let's not be fulled by how bad most western open world's have gotten let's actually look at some of the best early open world games.

Shenmue 1&2
    GTA3, VC and SA
    Morrowind

None of these games had copy pasted content spewed everywhere required for your progress. They where simply carefully crafted worlds that you made your own shit to do in and explored.

No in fact the modern Ubisoft open world take is nothing more then the boring themepark MMO take on open world and not true to the roots of them or point of them at all.

Not to mention you still haven't provided an example of a game without an xp boost MT requiring mundane side content to progress the main story. You keep stating it's "normal" for the genre though...

Dragon's Dogma, at least i can't remember that game having MT. But you still had to do several side quests to be high enough for Story progression quests.

Kingdom Come Deliverance for recent i guess, The game is hard enough with the saving system anyway, but you still have to do side quests and train in order to be effective.

I'm enjoying this though, more than origins quests.
    Last edited by Champagne Supernova; 2018-10-07 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Supernova View Post
    Dragon's Dogma, at least i can't remember that game having MT. But you still had to do several side quests to be high enough for Story progression quests.

Kingdom Come Deliverance for recent i guess, The game is hard enough with the saving system anyway, but you still have to do side quests and train in order to be effective.

I'm enjoying this though, more than origins quests.
    Kigdom Come Deliverance I literally beat doing a handful of side quests in early game and then ignoring them for the most part after. Not required at all. So I know that's false right off the bat as I just did that a few months ago. In fact leveling in general does very little in this game combat wise at all, it's mostly just down to individual player skill or even if you suck, just back peddle and arrow head shot spam will literally kill anything in the game.

As for Dragon's Dogma, memory is more foggy on that game sounds like you either made a bad party choice or weren't properly taking advantage of all your mechanics. Pretty sure I never went out of my way to do side content in that game and finished it fine as well.

I mean...pretty much any RPG I've ever played. If it's an open world RPG rather than a purely linear affair, there's a reasonable expectation that you're going to at least accidentally complete a decent number sidequests or do so with little effort to help supplement RPG.

That's kinda like...the point of open world games. Yeah, most have their linear storyline but the expectation is that's not the only thing you do. I see zero issues with an open world RPG more or less requiring you to do at least some side missions to keep at-level throughout the main story.
    this basically. in my personal experience, it might not technically be required to complete all of it, but you pretty much end up doing a fair bit of it anyways. (I was also thinking of isometric and non isometric old school rpg's alongside the more modern ones. I distinctly remember needed to do at least some side quests, or suffer the consequences, I think the main difference is that there were no level boosts sold to let you skip them, and you technically COULD go for main quest only, while underleveled, if you were good enough. I was just never good enough, so I try to be at or above level. I also tend to avoid JRPG in part becasue they seem to require actual grinding to progress)

and sneaking into outposts or something like that to quietly systematically stealthily slaughter all the guards and then your primary target (or just sneaking in to steal treasures/letters/whatever) is like half the point of AS games O_O at least the way I play them.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2018-10-07 at 06:25 PM.

And that's how you know the leveling is fucked.

Side quests are suppose to be optional, But they are required here so you will be under leveled. The game has a lot of good points but the leveling is a grind and that's due to the shitty cash shop.

Has nothing to do with "rushing". Kills rewards shit Xp and just doing the main story doesn't give you enough to stay equal to the levels. That is a broken leveling system period.
    Never understand "gamers" that complain about having to play the game they just brought.

"waaaaah they make me play the game" is not a valid criticism

if you find the gameplay boring thats different.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-10-08 at 04:52 AM.

So far really enjoying the game, but the frequent frame skips during combat and occasional crashes are extremely annoying.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    So far really enjoying the game, but the frequent frame skips during combat and occasional crashes are extremely annoying.
    I think i've had a 2-3 crashes as well, on the ps4. Usually starting combat in a tight packed area triggers it for me.

Love tracking down all the cultists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The game sounds restricted on consoles if you don’t have the upgraded versions. My PC is better than either, so I’ll probably end up playing on there.
    Have PS4 Pro, the biggest complaint i have with it is the excessive load screens. This game has so many cuts in the narrative, and has a minor black load screen for almost everyone. I am playing in 4k HDR and have not had "many" frame drops, but the load screens are what annoy me. Death is extra punishing because you are going to have 2-3 minutes of load time to wait before you can do anything again.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Most savagely act by Alexio from Assassin Creed Odyssey

I was not expecting this, it made me laugh hard that how Alexios sticks the Cyclops' Eye in a Goat's Rump!

Check out the video

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Whelp. Level 35 and I’m about half way through the main story (I think?). By far the best Assassins Creed game and one of the better games I’ve played this year.

I agree with you, this game is the best game so far

Does anyone else have issues with crashes? I only crash on the first mercenary quest line when you have to overthreow the mercenary hired by the Athenians (level 10 or so story quest). I get near the Athenian occupied city where the Merc is and crash...

Deleted
    Rant warning!

I wish they just renamed Difficulty setting to Combat Tedium or something. No Ubisoft, high amount of enemy hp does not equal enjoyable challenge. It's lazy game design. 30 slashes, 20 pokes and 6582978483 dodges and parries later, half of enemies hp is gone. Rince repeat another 9000 times. So much FUN. The way they are going with their in game shop, i'm surprised there's no microtransaction to reduce enemy HP by 50% for 20 bucks or something. Fuck me.

End rant.

As much i enjoy the rest of the game (with some caveats), the bullet-sponginess of so many enemies is making me grind my teeth to powder. My only hope is that come mid-late game, more abilities and gear/engravings will help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellarion View Post
    Rant warning!

I wish they just renamed Difficulty setting to Combat Tedium or something. No Ubisoft, high amount of enemy hp does not equal enjoyable challenge. It's lazy game design. 30 slashes, 20 pokes and 6582978483 dodges and parries later, half of enemies hp is gone. Rince repeat another 9000 times. So much FUN. The way they are going with their in game shop, i'm surprised there's no microtransaction to reduce enemy HP by 50% for 20 bucks or something. Fuck me.

End rant.

As much i enjoy the rest of the game (with some caveats), the bullet-sponginess of so many enemies is making me grind my teeth to powder. My only hope is that come mid-late game, more abilities and gear/engravings will help with that.
    How else are you going to advertise a 15 hour game as 100 hours if you don't throw enemy spam and damage sponge enemies at players? Shout outs to forced levels to do any damage as well, in most games being under leveled would just be a challenge but here? Nah 2 levels lower you do no damage LMAO.

Everything about the game has been about making you take longer to play it, without actually putting anymore effort into making the game. Got to get those MAU metrics or entice people into buying time savers, either one will do the trick for your investors.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-08 at 04:51 PM.