Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    We liked it! Tom Hardy makes any movie better, and the Venom symbiote was hilarious. I'd give it a solid 7.

I liked this movie better when it was called Upgrade, starred the other Tom Hardy and was rated R.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The ending shows we're gonna have a symbiote user not named Eddie or Cletus in the sequel and it's far more interesting then the predictable follow OG comic story to a T. The movies could learn something from that. There isn't any surprises if you tell the same damn story over and over again.
    Unfortunately for you, people want accurate adaptations of comic books (and books in general) when they go to the silver screen. The whole point is that the source material is great, and they want to see it realized visually not only for themselves, but for others who haven't had the pleasure of reading it.

It's nincompoops who insist on "reimagining" everything -- including the stories themselves -- that fuck it all up, hence the DC fiasco and why Marvel is doing so much better since they at least try to stay with the gist of the characters and the stories. I guarantee they'd be even more successful and critically acclaimed if they stayed truer to the comics, too, and only update the really silly things (like the ridiculous costumes, streamline the more overly-convoluted crossovers, and things of that nature). Deadpool, for example, says hi.

I hate to break it to you though, movie writers tend to be incredibly shitty, especially since directors come in and fuck it all up on the fly. Movies aren't were you go for great writing, save for extreeeeemely rare exceptions. If you want a good story, stick with a good story. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Unfortunately for you, people want accurate adaptations of comic books
    And there have been more symbiote users then Eddie and Cletus in the COMICS so applying that to this isn't accurate at all.

Symbiotes aren't tied to those characters just because that was where they where in the original 80s secret war > amazing spider-man origin. They have been used in multiple ways in gasp yes DE COMICZ since then. It's as if people think that tiny over played storyline is the only arc Symbiotes ever had.

Spider-Man for PS4 is one of the most well received comic adaptions to not be produced by the MCU in some time and has a symbiote which is likely Venom on Harry Osborne at the end of the game Harry will likely be Venom in the sequel to it, and no that's not something new that they made up but actually has happened in DA COMICZ.

And for the record, MCU movies have already butchered the old comic stories from decades past that you claim people want to cling to, and they're the most successful movie adaptions of them.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-07 at 01:09 AM.

And there have been more symbiote users then Eddie and Cletus in the COMICS so applying that to this isn't accurate at all.
    I didn't say fucking shit about that. However, they are the characters from the de-facto stories about the characters. So if they're basing their movies on said characters from said stories, they sure as fuck should stick with said characters from said stories. No matter how badly you think they should do otherwise; because that's NOT how you get a good fucking movie, as proven time and time and time AND TIME again. Fuck with the stories and fuck with the characters, and you get DC-level shit.

Spider-Man for PS4 is one of the most well received comic adaptions to not be produced by the MCU in some time and has a symbiote which is...
    yo, mind marking spoilers?

I didn't say fucking shit about that. However, they are the characters from the de-facto stories about the characters. So if they're basing their movies on said characters from said stories, they sure as fuck should stick with said characters from said stories. No matter how badly you think they should do otherwise; because that's NOT how you get a good fucking movie, as proven time and time and time AND TIME again. Fuck with the stories and fuck with the characters, and you get DC-level shit.
    Yea using Eddie Brock as Venom sure has worked out well for Sony.

We got the masterpieces known as Spider-Man 3 and now Venom.

That story sucks dick for movies because it's impossible to replicate outside of multiple ones. The secret wars part, Venom bonding with Peter, Peter rejecting it, Eddie going through his mid life crisis and acting like an edgy teenager finding it. Look what happened when they tried to put all that in SM3, it made no sense or even worse cut out peter entirely and look at how it's working out now... even worse.

So instead of trying something that doesn't work. Focus on doing shit that will.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-07 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    OK so my boyfriend and I just got done with our date night & saw Venom. That movie was so fucking amazing. I wanted to see it because I think Tom Hardy is sexy beyond belief and my boyfriend was apprehensive about seeing it since there was no reference to Spiderman in any of the trailers. Seriously this was a great movie and I can't wait for the sequel.
    Did you swallow his venom afterwards?

Just saw Venom last night and it was a fun movie with a ton of flaws so know that you are getting a movie that could have been so much more but its still worth your time.

Yea using Eddie Brock as Venom sure has worked out well for Sony.
    Are you just pretending to be obtuse, or is an actual serious thing?

Try going back and reading the posts you're replying to. Then feel free to try again.

Movie is a 5/10 at best. Tom Hardy is great but he's literally the only one who works. Villain is awful. Love interest and their chemistry is awful. The progression of the characters makes little sense.

I'd imagine an uncut rated R version would probably be way better since we missed a ton of progression.

Are you just pretending to be obtuse, or is an actual serious thing?
    Are you asking yourself this?

Because Venom and Spider-Man 3 are as bad as the worst of DC outings.

And they used the original symbiote host from the 80s as if anyone gives a fuck about Eddie Brock as a character.

Eh I expected more. Too much forced humor. Bad love interest. Bad villain. Not enough violence for a movie about monsters with fifty sharp teeth.

and has a symbiote which is likely Venom on Harry Osborne at the end of the game Harry will likely be Venom in the sequel to it, and no that's not something new that they made up but actually has happened in DA COMICZ.
    Actually, no, Harry has never been Venom in "DA COMICZ". Maybe you're thinking of Mac "The Scorpion" Gargan?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with the critics on this one...this was a horrible fucking movie. Bad pacing, bad structure, bad acting. I don't have anything good to say about it, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Actually, no, Harry has never been Venom in "DA COMICZ". Maybe you're thinking of Mac "The Scorpion" Gargan?
    Your first problem is you seem to think The Amazing Spider-Man is the only comic series covering the character.

Across all of the different Spider-Man universes both Venom and and Carnage symbiotes have been used on so many different characters it's completely pointless to try to waste time on origin stories for Eddie or Cletus in movies when you can simply use characters you already built up while telling a more engaging story.

The OG amazing symbiote arcs don't work in modern story telling because people seem to forget how drawn out it actually is.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-07 at 04:08 PM.

Your first problem is you seem to think The Amazing Spider-Man is the only comic series covering the character.
    Well yes, 616 continuity is "real" continuity, anything else is alt universe bullshit that rarely ever actually matters, or counts. So yes, if one does a "Venom" movie, they expect MAIN universe Venom, not some alt universe BS that nobody takes seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I'm with the critics on this one...this was a horrible fucking movie. Bad pacing, bad structure, bad acting. I don't have anything good to say about it, honestly.
    Tend to agree, the editing was SO bad it was actually jarring, can remember a scene near the start of the film in the restaurant, Eddies head will be turn around, next shot its looking at his girlfriend etc, ugh.

Script was so blatantly hamfisted to be a PG-13 Deadpool, with 90 percent of the "jokes" just not landing at all in my theater at least. The only enjoyable aspect of this film was the action sequences and the initial portrayal of Venom as a character, (dont know much of the history behind the comics etc, went in semi blind on this).

I just cant believe they managed to make Tom Hardy look like a bad actor, when we all know what hes capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    100% agree. I didn't even plan to see it, only social obligations made me go - and in the end, everyone in the group agreed it was a waste of our money and time. I thought we were past this kind of superhero "story" telling? Seems like an anachronism more at home in the Tobey Maguire era to be honest.

People have been comparing it to Spawn, and I get where they're coming from; but the Spawn movie had a sort of almost cult-classic campiness to it. This was just bland and uninspired by comparison, the usual result when people are too in love with the action genre rather than concerned with making a decent movie.

I also expected a lots more interesting dynamic between host and symbiote; most of it felt just awkward and tacked-on, with few exceptions. Hardy's 45-minutes comment makes you wonder what could have been.

Deleted
    I think it was just ok, not great, but certainly fun.

The 1st half an hour was just too long; they could have explained the back-story a lot faster and given us some more binding between Eddy and Venom. That would have made it a lot better.