Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    But you said males don't watch TV shows that have a female lead.

Therefore I can't watch them.
    Those shows are made for soy boys, you're perfectly fine to watch them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    The bullshit he is trying to peddle is that "little boys" wont watch a show with a woman lead, therefor, the show is only an adult show. Since you are an adult you are fine to watch it, but little you would not watch it cause the lead isn't a penis wielder.

It is fucking stupid and an appeal to emotion. "Why won't anyone think of the little boys????" when trying to say it will have trouble staying afloat when the show is carried by adults when it comes to making money. The fanbase for doctor who is overwhelmingly adult rofl.
    Dr Who doesn't need to make money, its a BBC production. Thats why they can push an ideological agenda and not worry about consequences. A drop in ratings is the least of their concerns.

On the topic of "boys watching girl shows", the old 80's cartoon Jem and the Holograms had a great deal of action woven into its stories specifically to keep boys from the changing the channel way back then... and not for nothing, it made the cartoon something wonderful and unique back then. I consider it well ahead of its time and something I can still go back and watch as an adult and appreciate.

It might not be as modern compared to today's offerings but it dealt with a lot of mature subject matter. Relationships of various types--friendly, antagonistic, romantic. Multiple felonies and attempted murders, corporate greed, car chases, explosions, kidnappings, international intrigue. Jem offered all this and more, and the strategy worked to keep boys from changing the channel while also giving young girls a show unlike any of the ponies and princesses of the time. While the show wasn't all about action, it showed both boys and girls that girls could be the "action hero" too.

As for Doctor Who, I thought that Jodie Whitaker did a fine job in the first episode. I think she took the role seriously and made a great deal of effort to make her portrayal "feel" like the Doctor. With that said, I feel a bit too much "Tennant" from the first episode and hope she grows into the role more and makes it her own as the series continues. Every Doctor should have their own personality while still feeling like the Doctor to the audience.

While Tennant is more often than not seen as the "best" Doctor, I was always partial to Matt Smith as "my" Doctor. I didn't think I'd like Capaldi as the Doctor but he managed to surprise me and I liked him far more than I expected. I came into the current series without expectations. The Doctor being a woman this time seems interesting and it will be up to the writers and Jodie to take it beyond just "interesting" and into "this is the Doctor" territory. I have high hopes that they will succeed after seeing the first episode.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2018-10-08 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    You'd think that people would realize the whole "guys don't like shows where the lead characters are female" thing was bullshit. This whole decade proved that.
    No it didn't. The concept of a male role model is real. Boys can be cruel. They will leave this show. Women will need to pick up the slack. And they might. But it will be tougher now to be a hit.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

That was one of the greatest episodes ever.

Fucking loved it and holy shit did it get dark real fuckin quick. Jodie embodied the doctor perfectly
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    /yawn at the soyboy comment. Think of something original.

Better yet, go buy some of Alex Jones supplements that contain soy anyway.

I thought it was good, tbh I cringed when I saw Walsh but I actually think he did a decent job (i wasn't thinking of the chase after first ten minutes). Whittaker did fine, the first episode is always hard, man or woman, people always compare to the last guy (sounds very much like wow expansions!)

One thing I wanted to ask, I missed most of Capaldi's set, but I thought the general public was aware of aliens and the Doctor? Yet they acted like it was mental and no one would believe them? Or am I remembering wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    I thought the general public was aware of aliens and the Doctor? Yet they acted like it was mental and no one would believe them? Or am I remembering wrong?
    That's very tough continuity-wise. There have been quite a few events in the show that really should prove to everyone that Aliens exist. "Who Canon" appears to take the stance that when people are faced with something extraordinary, they block it out of their own minds as a coping mechanism lol. Or we just assume that offscreen there is a memory wipe. I believe New Who once dealt with the issue of people not noticing in an episode where a fan was posting his exploits on youtube or something and no one believed him. Love and Monsters it was called, the 10th story of series 2 with David Tennant.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-10-08 at 10:56 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who thought Jodie looked way better in Capaldi's old vest and coat then she did in the suspenders and long coat she ended up with?

You'd think that people would realize the whole "guys don't like shows where the lead characters are female" thing was bullshit. This whole decade proved that.
    Even before that. I know loads of boys who loved Sailor Moon as a kid and that show was girly as fuck. And what about Buffy? Total horseshit that males won't watch a series with a female lead.

Na, we gotta keep pushing it cause it just "makes sense" and appeals to dumb people really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    The last avatar: legend of Korra also went from a Male lead, albeit a child, to a female teenager. I think they tested the show on kids and they didn't mind as long as Korra wasn't a girly girl.

Korra was tough, cool and strong so they liked her regardless.
    The doctors gender should not matter, as long as they can deliver a good performance and honestly I liked the episode.
    Exactly. The Doctor is the same as ever with a mixture of 10 and ive read some people say 6(i havent watched the old who so I cant comment on that bit) sooooo, it wont have any issues bringing in any demographic. The episode was amazing, a bit darker because people died pretty frequently for the first episode, but amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Jodie looked way better in Capaldi's old vest and coat then she did in the suspenders and long coat she ended up with?

Even before that. I know loads of boys who loved Sailor Moon as a kid and that show was girly as fuck. And what about Buffy? Total horseshit that males won't watch a series with a female lead.
    Yeaaaa, i loved her in the Capaldi outfit, but she had to change for her own take on the doctor's look xD.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Dr Who doesn't need to make money, its a BBC production. Thats why they can push an ideological agenda and not worry about consequences. A drop in ratings is the least of their concerns.
    So what happens when this series, given it keeps the pace of episode 1, ends up being a rise in ratings? Could you process this through your bias machine and tell me what it means to you?

So what happens when this series, given it keeps the pace of episode 1, ends up being a rise in ratings? Could you process this through your bias machine and tell me what it means to you?
    It would mean that soy boys have taken over the world and there is little hope for the future of mankind. Any self respecting male who actually enjoys this feminist tripe needs to get their estrogen levels checked.

It would mean that soy boys have taken over the world and there is little hope for the future of mankind. Any self respecting male who actually enjoys this feminist tripe needs to get their estrogen levels checked.
    Tell me, did you watch this episode?

As the BBC's biggest export now top gear has gone pap, I doubt that's true. Ratings on home soil might not matter that much, but they need the show to be bought globally. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Tell me, did you watch this episode?
    No of course not, I stopped watching when they took the series hard left with Capaldi. I never agreed with changing Dr Who's gender so as far as i'm concerned Dr Who as a franchise is dead. It was done purely for ideological reasons, and I have little interest in female protagonists anyway. I'm just here to pour scorn on a once beloved series that has been taken over by politics that I don't agree with.

No of course not, I stopped watching when they took the series hard left with Capaldi. I never agreed with changing Dr Who's gender so as far as i'm concerned Dr Who as a franchise is dead. It was done purely for ideological reasons, and I have little interest in female protagonists anyway. I'm just here to pour scorn on a once beloved series that has been taken over by politics that I don't agree with.
    So you are making claims about something you didn't even fucking watch? Are you serious right now? Like, really dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    As the BBC's biggest export now top gear has gone pap, I doubt that's true. Ratings on home soil might not matter that much, but they need the show to be bought globally. Will be interesting to see what happens.
    Again, it's the BBC, a government funded enterprise. It's not required to make profit like a private company has to. Do they hope its successful? Of course they do, it legitimizes their feminist agenda. But even if it fails, it just gives them another platform to rail against misogyny and the patriarchy. For them a female Dr who is a win win proposition.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are making claims about something you didn't even fucking watch? Are you serious right now? Like, really dude?
    I don't need to watch it, unless the promos were horribly wrong Dr Who is now female. She even crashed through a glass ceiling to ram that point home.

I don't need to watch it, unless the promos were horribly wrong Dr Who is now female. She even crashed through a glass ceiling to ram that point home.
    So the doctor being female is what makes it "feminist propaganda" and nothing else to you?

So the doctor being female is what makes it "feminist propaganda" and nothing else to you?
    For the love of Khaz don't tell him that there was an interracial couple, he might combust.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    I was very pleasantly surprised by Jodie as the new Doctor, before hand I had my doubts.. I wasn’t a huge fan of the female Master. But I think that might be because of the change in motivation that came with the new Master aswell. This new incarnation of the Doctor works very well, good energy and also well communicated emotions. Breath of fresh air from Capaldi (who I liked) but felt forced when he was being wacky.

Quote Originally Posted by barter94 View Post
    I was very pleasantly surprised by Jodie as the new Doctor, before hand I had my doubts.. I wasn’t a huge fan of the female Master. But I think that might be because of the change in motivation that came with the new Master aswell. This new incarnation of the Doctor works very well, good energy and also well communicated emotions. Breath of fresh air from Capaldi (who I liked) but felt forced when he was being wacky.
    Yea tbqh, Capaldi played the grumpy old man really well, but any other of the doctor tropes just did not fit imo. As long as it sticks to what we saw in this first episode, this series is going to be an amazing refresher over what we have seen in a while.

Well of course it is, how can it not be? For what other purpose would there be than to turn a male character female other than a feminist ideology? They even turned The Master female rather than introduce an original female villain. They could have run a timelord spin off series and had a female lead that. No, they had to destroy a popular male icon.

But its okay, you can all sit around and scream misogyny because teenage boys don't want to watch their mum be a timelord. By all accounts they are turning it into a kids show so in the end I suppose it doesn't matter.