Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Interpol president vanished, detained and resigned

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.a7aabc2cc114

HONG KONG — Interpol announced Sunday that it had accepted the resignation of its president, Meng Hongwei, who disappeared in China in late September. The international police organization’s statement came shortly after China revealed that Meng was under investigation for unspecified crimes.
    Interpol said Meng’s resignation was effective immediately but did not address whether Meng resigned under duress.
    It's weird that we didn't have a thread about this here already.

The whole story is quite crazy. The president of Interpol vanishes.... then he is detained by the Chinese government, held captive and interrogated by the CPC, then he immediately resigns from his position of president of Interpol.

And nobody bats an eye really?

He is (was) the president of Interpol, not just some janitor in a mall.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The most fascinating thing about the story is that the president of Interpol was not aware there were investigations against him in his home country.
    And what do you mean, nobody bats an eye? It's in international news for several days now.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    The most fascinating thing about the story is that the president of Interpol was not aware there were investigations against him in his home country.
    And what do you mean, nobody bats an eye? It's in international news for several days now.
    The better phrase would probably be that noone is going to lift a finger for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well the sentiment seems to be somewhere between "who cares" and "oh well, we'll just hire a new president then".

The president of Interpol should be untouchable. I don't mean by law, but his security status should be such that snatching him shouldn't just be possible.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well the sentiment seems to be somewhere between "who cares" and "oh well, we'll just hire a new president then".

The president of Interpol should be untouchable. I don't mean by law, but his security status should be such that snatching him shouldn't just be possible.
    Interpol has very limited power, it's a mere administration for international warrants. "Losing" the president will hardly influence their work.
    And an apprehension by chinese authorities in China can hardly be called snatching. It's just chinese custom to be rather secretive about those things.

Nobody should be untouchable. Does not matter who you are, or what your "status". If the authorities had reasonable cause, they should be able to straight up arrest the President of the USA or the Queen of England if they needed to. No status or office should protect you from the law.

And what exactly to you imagine this guy to be? Just because he is the president of Interpol does not make him something special. He is a Bureaucrat, not some James Bondian secret super agent who magically knows everybody's dirty little secrets. He is just another person, just one with a fancy title.

Deleted
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.a7aabc2cc114

It's weird that we didn't have a thread about this here already.

The whole story is quite crazy. The president of Interpol vanishes.... then he is detained by the Chinese government, held captive and interrogated by the CPC, then he immediately resigns from his position of president of Interpol.

And nobody bats an eye really?

It would be ok if he was a janitor?

What if he was renditioned, would it be ok then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Interpol has very limited power, it's a mere administration for international warrants. "Losing" the president will hardly influence their work.
    And an apprehension by chinese authorities in China can hardly be called snatching. It's just chinese custom to be rather secretive about those things.
    Well the snatching part comes in that he was missing for a week, he texted a photo of a knife to his wife, his wife was threatened (and she is now being protected by the French police in a secret location) by unknown people via phone etc.

Doesn't sound like typical apprehension by normal government authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Nobody should be untouchable. Does not matter who you are, or what your "status". If the authorities had reasonable cause, they should be able to straight up arrest the President of the USA or the Queen of England if they needed to. No status or office should protect you from the law.

And what exactly to you imagine this guy to be? Just because he is the president of Interpol does not make him something special. He is a Bureaucrat, not some James Bondian secret super agent who magically knows everybody's dirty little secrets. He is just another person, just one with a fancy title.
    President of Interpol is special just like any other president of a similar organization such as CIA, FBI, GRU, FSB, KGB etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    What if he was renditioned, would it be ok then?
    Renditioning to who exactly?

According to the article it states that Meng is concurrently a Chinese deputy minister of public security. Why did he resign for his position at interpol, but not the position of deputy minister of public security if he is under investigation?

Deleted
    Well the snatching part comes in that he was missing for a week, he texted a photo of a knife to his wife, his wife was threatened (and she is now being protected by the French police in a secret location) by unknown people via phone etc.

Doesn't sound like typical apprehension by normal government authorities.

President of Interpol is special just like any other president of a similar organization such as CIA, FBI, GRU, FSB, KGB etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Renditioning to who exactly?
    Its the manner of the disappearing which concerns you? Or just the country seemingly responsible?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Its the manner of the disappearing which concerns you? Or just the country seemingly responsible?
    Both.

/10chars

Whats f'ing shocking to me is that a Chinese government official was allowed to become president of the agency governing international police cooperation.

"Let's put an agent of the greatest threat to Western liberal democracy in charge of Interpol"

"Holy crap great idea!"
    /sarcasm

Just another example of useless international institutions eroding national sovereignty.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Whats f'ing shocking to me is that a Chinese government official was allowed to become president of the agency governing international police cooperation.

"Let's put an agent of the greatest threat to Western liberal democracy in charge of Interpol"

"Holy crap great idea!"
    /sarcasm

Just another example of useless international institutions eroding national sovereignty.
    It's not like this is a new concept for Interpol considering Reinhard Heydrich and his fellow party members have been the president of Interpol.

they shouldn't have accepted the resignation, and china must be sanctioned over this.

slap on sanctions on top of the trade war.

China is not the greatest threat to Western democracy. They don't immigrate in mass then try to impose their political system in other people's countries

- - - Updated - - -

they shouldn't have accepted the resignation, and china must be sanctioned over this.

slap on sanctions on top of the trade war.
    You don't even know why he was arrested. You assume that the chief of Interpol can't be a scumbag in disguise...

It's not like this is a new concept for Interpol considering Reinhard Heydrich and his fellow party members have been the president of Interpol.
    You'll get no argument from me on that. Interpol is a joke.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Those things aren't as different as you think they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    China is not the greatest threat to Western democracy. They don't immigrate in mass then try to impose their political system in other people's countries

- - - Updated - - -

You don't even know why he was arrested. You assume that the chief of Interpol can't be a scumbag in disguise...
    So, Canadians?

Nah, I like Canadians.

Deleted
    Both.

/10chars
    Fair enough then.

It's China, the guy was probably only put up for the position because he was corrupt.