Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

SW:ToR is more fun than WoW for casual players

And a better game than Wow with its latest expansion BfA.
    This comes from someone who doesn't even like Star Wars. I'm more of a Star Trek guy.
    The storytelling is great in SW and the visuals are much prettier to look. It's also a lot more forgiving to solo players.

I've played both games, currently playing WoW as casual.

Not at all more fun, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all, but ok.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Here is the thing. It could be, if it was actually supported in the same way.

I love swtor, but ever since EA/Bioware declared it as a failure and put it on cash cow mode with minimal content and max lootbox, i checked out. I would have loved it, but they didn't. Number one thing for a sucessful mmo's is for it's publisher/developer to put all it has into making it great. MMO's are products of commitment. If you don't commit to your game, the way Blizz, squeenix or anet do, don't expect players to commit to it either. And thus the corpses of failed mmo's keep getting dragged around by whales.

As a devoted SWtoR player from launch and 6 years strong, I am now playing wow as a casual and have not even reinstalled swtor.

I agree that visually storywise and playstyle wise it is a great change of pace if you need a break for any other mmo you are playing. I LOVED the stories so much that I leveled 2-4 of each class type. But once you get through all that content, there is just nothing else. The lack of continued game updates in raids FPs PVP, Starfighter.......... well we get touchups of new stuff. but after that you are nowhere.

I LOVE swtor and will come back to it someday and I agree 100% that if you need a break from ANY mmo swtor is a great place to start. Also STO is a good mmo too. I love the ship combat and flow of the Away missions. The Foundry is a great place to find missions outside the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    And thus the corpses of failed mmo's keep getting dragged around by whales.

For those who don't know, Whales = Players who regularly spend literally thousands on in-game purchases. There are not alot of them but they are the ones who prettymuch keep the servers on. The interesting thing is most of them seem to be minimalists otherwise: They don't wastefully spend so they have a few thousand they can unload into the games they play if they feel like it.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

That is not true.
    The game is a money-wrenching borefest with insane amounts of grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    The storytelling is great in SW
    And quests themselves are at TBC level of variety. By the way, I hope you mean storytelling and not story itself, because story is nonsencical.
    and the visuals are much prettier to look
    Environment is OK, but pretty boring, player models and most of the faces are probably the ugliest shit I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's just agree to disagree.
    A lot of you are back to WoW because of the new expansion. Once that fades away, you will think that BfA is boring as well.

This comes from someone who doesn't even like Star Wars. I'm more of a Star Trek guy.
    The storytelling is great in SW and the visuals are much prettier to look. It's also a lot more forgiving to solo players.
    Better game? Objectively speaking, no not even in the same ball park as WoW.

More fun for casual players? I'd agree with that especially if you've never played it.

It really depends on the type of experience you're looking for. WoW has plenty to do for casual gamers that can lead them to commit more time towards the game. WoW has a real endgame as well and SWTOR is really lacking there.

SWTOR is what it is and doesn't require much from the player to enjoy the game. If you wish to reach end game and play it like that you'll be grinding like many other games. I find them both enjoyable and play them in cycles. SWTOR is fun.

I would strongly disagree. Yes the story telling is amazing and the Legacy system makes making alts more meaningful. Once all that is done and honey moon phase ends gear progression in SWTOR (in its current iteration) is abysmal. Its takes a lot of time and effort to earn gear. Not to mention its free-to-play model is the worst I've ever seen. If you aren't a subscriber you're literally handicapped by being restricted from using the highest level gear and content. You might say casual with the caveat of subbing but even then you aren't getting your money's worth. The majority of the content they put out is cosmetic loot crates costing you more money... You get way more with your $15 bucks in WoW than you do with $15 bucks for SWTOR. Content, progression, pvp, and community wise (swtor is dying a slow painful death).

There's nothing left for me in SWTOR. I was an early access player, took a 2 year break starting in 2014, came back and quit a few months ago. My friends recommended WoW to me and I can't believe how huge this game is. I've been having loads of fun in WoW and have no intentions on ever going back to TORtanic.

As a casual leveling experience? Yeah I can see that.

Endgame, where it matters, absolutely not.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

SWTOR's 1-50 leveling is one of the best leveling experiences for me. I leveled all eight classes because of how good it was, sixteen if you want to see the opposite light/dark side storylines and play the other advance classes. However, the end game and overall population are major drawbacks.

Levelling - Yes

End game - not even close

I love SWTOR and I still sometimes log to level a character, but I’m surprised the game still exists. Visuals are imo pretty bad and everything feels clumsy.
    Last edited by Kieldon; 2018-10-09 at 11:40 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wish City of Heroes was still around, it was among the best MMO of 2004 (albeit a different setting compared to Everquest or FF11), before WoW took over the market.

At the time I never got bored of the random generated mission dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well TOR is basically designed as a singleplayer RPG with activities for multiple people.

Also, fun is subjective btw. You popping in and announcing it is more fun doesn't mean everyone is going to feel that way. I personally think its an over-gated F2P borefest without a sub/membership (or whatever it is called these days).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Here is the thing. It could be, if it was actually supported in the same way.

I love swtor, but ever since EA/Bioware declared it as a failure and put it on cash cow mode with minimal content and max lootbox, i checked out. I would have loved it, but they didn't. Number one thing for a sucessful mmo's is for it's publisher/developer to put all it has into making it great. MMO's are products of commitment. If you don't commit to your game, the way Blizz, squeenix or anet do, don't expect players to commit to it either. And thus the corpses of failed mmo's keep getting dragged around by whales.
    Man, they tried they really did, Knights of the Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne were both a clear massive push to rekindle interest in the game after a somewhat disappointing/overambitious launch. I mean, i have friends that arent even into MMO's but love Star Wars who's interests were piqued into picking up the game from the amount of exposure the Knights cinematic trailer received online, which i still to this day think is one of the best video game, if not any trailer made to date.

There is only so much flogging a dead horse you can do, not to say that swtor is beyond redemption, but with the games grand cinematic scope, voice acting, multi choice story options etc that isn't cheap to make. Obviously we dont know the exact numbers of people still playing the game, but surely it cant be a sustainable game to keep churning out expansion after expansion like WoW.

OT: To a degree i agree with OP, in terms of just solo playing through the story options on each character, it absolutely is a better game for casual play. But for sustained play, end game options even at the casual level, WoW has SWTOR beat.

I played casually.. It was alright but nothing that leaped off the screen and made me go "wow, I need to tell everyone about this game". Certainly not end game.

wildstar was more fun leveling than swtor. Swtor is terrible imo leveling. all the gating and restrictions. Yea ill pass. Ive tried twice. Still couldnt level in that game without getting upset.