Thread: Poor Rastakhan

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Poor Rastakhan

So the second part of the achievement Spirits Be With You has hit the live servers

https://es.wowhead.com/news=287766/j...uest-available

I find funny how Vol'jin praise Talanji and call her the true leader and to rally her people in this time of crisis while Rastakhan is still alive at the top, to be honest this questline would have make more sense after the raid of Zuldazar or well actually involving Rastakhan with her daughter and giving some bonding moments with her before his death in the next raid, also it seem we aren't in Bwonsamdi side and Talanji doesn't seem to appreciate him or even hate that loa and with learning the pact of his father at some point, this will increase the raid boss flags of the old bwom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

I mean let's be honest even with him alive she's the true leader. Most of all of the problems on Zandalar are his fault.

It's almost like Blizzard introduces new characters by having them shit all over established ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I mean let's be honest even with him alive she's the true leader. Most of all of the problems on Zandalar are his fault.
    This is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    It's almost like Blizzard introduces new characters by having them shit all over established ones...
    ??!!

King Rastakan is just as established as Princess Talanji, so I don't see how your point is valid.

Also, this set up serves a greater narrative purpose.

If Rastakan didn't die, he'd be on at least equal or greater footing than Sylvanas or Saurfang in terms of political influence. Blizzard clearly doesn't want to tell the story this way. They're quite clearly building up a narrative around Sylvanas and her goals/ambitions, both of which would likely be contested by Rastakan. This would take away from Sylvanas' narrative. Blizzard doesn't want that.

So, by having Princess Talanji come in as the leader of the Zandalari, she's in less even footing given her lack of experience and very recent tenure as a ruler. That means she doesn't contest the Sylvanas narrative that Blizzard wants to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    King Rastakan is just as established as Princess Talanji, so I don't see how your point is valid.
    He's saying that Talanji is being established via the writing shitting all over Rastakhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    ??!!

Understandable that you don't, since you got them backwards. Rastakhan was known to us in the Zul Gurub patch 1.7, brought up again in Cata for the 4.1 patch, and was featured in the RPG. Talanji came out of nowhere to shit on our first glimpse of the legendary troll emperor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Rastakhan stagnated the Zandalari, and allowed his subjects to run amok on the world stage since Cataclysm. He's a poor judge of character, refusing to believe Zul when he tells the truth but putting faith in him when he plots behind his back. The only constructive thing he's done is oppose Hakkar in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    How so?

The Cataclysm is what caused the Blood Troll threat to be a problem its also how Zul gain so much power. Zul had everyone fooled even the player no one thought he would betray the kingdom even Talanji who didn't like him never thought he was a traitor.

You cant blame Rastakhan for not seeing the future he does not have meta knowledge which is what you are judging him by.

For 200 years he led the Zandalari well but because he made mistakes in his final years you trash him? How is that fair?
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2018-10-10 at 04:35 AM.

Understandable that you don't, since you got them backwards. Rastakhan was known to us in the Zul Gurub patch 1.7, brought up again in Cata for the 4.1 patch, and was featured in the RPG. Talanji came out of nowhere to shit on our first glimpse of the legendary troll emperor.
    Rastakhan was just a name up until BfA. He wasn't a well-established character.

I like how people talk about Rastakhan as if he's some hugely established, iconic character. I love the zandalari and Rastakhan but he's only been mentioned a handful of times. The average player probably didn't even know he existed before BfA.

On top of that, the few times he was mentioned, he was about as useless as he is now, so it's by no means making him look crappy just to make Talanji look good. The guy sat around while Zandalar was sinking into the ocean and couldn't keep Zul on his leash. Blizzard is just keeping him as prideful and incompetent as he has been for most of the time we've known him.

It's a shame that Blizzard treat Rastakhan as if he doesn't exist. He's my favorite character this expansion so far.

Just like the OP said, this would make much more sense if it happened after Rastakhan died in Zuldazar raid, with the people of Zuldazar in turmoil and Talanji uncertain about her own rule. That would be the perfect moment for Vol'jin's spirit to show up, reassures Talanji, and calm down the populace.

Heck, they can solve this issue easily by having Vol'jin approach Rastakhan first, but the Old King knows his days are numbered and he won't be the change Zandalari needs, so he asked Vol'jin to support his daughter instead, and let her take all the glory of defeating G'huun so the general populace will have an easy time accepting her.

You know what? I am gonna headcanon the last paragraph, it just sounds so much better.

It's almost as if the entire story so far has been wrapping up old business that was gonna happen anyway. If you are surprised zul fucked him over then you haven't been following the lore. Finish all of the horde quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    Rastakhan was just a name up until BfA. He wasn't a well-established character.
    Actually we knew a lot about him from the old RPG books and what was said about him in them was kept in BFA.

"King Rastakhan is king of all trolls on Azeroth. He is an ancient and formidable witch doctor and keeper of troll lore. He is ancient and hoary, but his wire-hard muscles speak to his strength. A string of shrunken heads hangs from his neck, and a humanoid skull is impaled on his spear. He rules from Zuldazar on the island of Zandalar. While he technically is the king of all trolls throughout the world, it is not an entirely accurate description. This is because trolls often have trouble working with each other, despite conferences on Zandalar. King Rastakhan is strong, wise, insightful, cunning and visionary. He is a big part of the reason that Zandalar's influence is again felt in the world, as he is instrumental in organizing the 6-year troll conferences and in sending representatives to work against Hakkar. Most other trolls respect him as a powerful and wise leader. Numerous loyal priests and witch doctors assist Rastakhan, and he shows his wisdom in which advice he heeds and which he ignores. Rastakhan is a patient but decisive ruler."
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2018-10-10 at 04:51 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except both characters are new, all we had before was a name with zero connection to the character or proof the stories were legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivinara View Post
    I like how people talk about Rastakhan as if he's some hugely established, iconic character. I love the zandalari and Rastakhan but he's only been mentioned a handful of times. The average player probably didn't even know he existed before BfA.

On top of that, the few times he was mentioned, he was about as useless as he is now, so it's by no means making him look crappy just to make Talanji look good. The guy sat around while Zandalar was sinking into the ocean and couldn't keep Zul on his leash. Blizzard is just keeping him as prideful and incompetent as he has been for most of the time we've known him.
    Talanji is way more useless than Rastakhan is. All she does from the moment we save her is fail to do anything right and we have to bail her out all the damn time. Its worse than Anduin.

At least Rastakhan cleaned up his mess in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Talanji is way more useless than Rastakhan is. All she does from the moment we save her is fail to do anything right and we have to bail her out all the damn time. Its worse than Anduin.

At least Rastakhan cleaned up his mess in the end.
    You're right, my bad. I forgot Rastakhan was the one that sought out allies, recognized the blood trolls were a legitimate threat, and lead an expedition into Nazmir to stop them while Talanji just sat in Dazra'alor thinking all was well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivinara View Post
    You're right, my bad. I forgot Rastakhan was the one that sought out allies, recognized the blood trolls were a legitimate threat, and lead an expedition into Nazmir to stop them while Talanji just sat in Dazra'alor thinking all was well.
    She failed to stop the Blood Troll threat we had to do all the work if not for the Horde she and all of her expedition would have died. The Gob Squad deserve all the credit honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    She failed to stop the Blood Troll threat we had to do all the work if not for the Horde she and all of her expedition would have died. The Gob Squad deserve all the credit honestly.
    If not for her, the Horde wouldn't be there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    He's saying that Talanji is being established via the writing shitting all over Rastakhan.
    He was being portrayed as incompetent long before Talanji was written into the story. Remember the lorewalkers skit?

"King Rastakhan did nothing."

Him finally getting off his ancient butt and helping is because the horde and Talanji finally got through to him.

Rastakhan was a terrible leader. So bad, even his Loa (Rezan) was like "Dude you fuckin' suck. You fucked up haaaarrrd."