Deleted

Balance casual pvp?

My BM hunter is boring and stale af, so I'm looking to reroll to a boomkin.

Thing is...I do a bunch of warmode and casual pvp, and I need something that can handle 1v1 pvp.
    I saw one guy on Youtube rekting people in wpvp as boomkin, but he's kind of a really good player.

Looking on the forums yielded nothing. Most of the forum threads are about ferals. And those about balance pvp gave contradictory answers.

I know boomkin isn't regarded as fotm or op, though, but can it handle 1v1 given the right build and average-good skill?

In wPvP, the way you win as Balance is to get the jump on people and pick your battles. Going for a "fair" fight is going to result in a loss, especially against many melee classes since we rely heavily on cast time spells (even if our DoTs do a large amount of the work). Some classes I'd straight up avoid as Moonkin, as your chances of winning rely upon them screwing up majorly, like Assasination rogues. In some respects, Moonkin is like playing Feral in wPvP, where you may need to DoT and run in order to win, as we are not suited for face tanking anything.

I'm no expert in Moonkin PvP, but I've found very good mileage with Deep Roots in wPvP, as you can unload a lot of damage into the target before the roots break. Not sure of the exact amount of damage, but you'll likely do 30-50% of the target's HP in damage before roots break, and you can even recast your roots again to knock off more damage and maintain your space. Thorns is pretty good, too, if you're worried about pesky melee, as your random melee isn't going to realize they're killing themselves on you... I'll sometimes even bait my health a bit low before I use Thorns, because most players cannot resist the urge to go for the kill despite it resulting in their demise.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    My BM hunter is boring and stale af, so I'm looking to reroll to a boomkin.

Thing is...I do a bunch of warmode and casual pvp, and I need something that can handle 1v1 pvp.
    I saw one guy on Youtube rekting people in wpvp as boomkin, but he's kind of a really good player.

Looking on the forums yielded nothing. Most of the forum threads are about ferals. And those about balance pvp gave contradictory answers.

I know boomkin isn't regarded as fotm or op, though, but can it handle 1v1 given the right build and average-good skill?
    In balanced 1v1 (similar gear, all cds ready, etc.) no, not really. From my experience all defensives just delay the inevitable and mentioned deep roots talents does not seem to work for me. I think it works like fear which breaks randomly between sneezing at the enemy and doing up to 15-20% max HP dmg, the spread is just larger and if you are lucky you can do some serious damage...this randomness is meh, especially in larger encounters (all those thing that may break on any damage seem to fall off very quickly when there are 5 dots and a pet or two attacking your target, but thats just my observation).

For me balance is very fun to play in epic BGs.

Deleted
    Aaaaa, figures...

Oh well was worth a shot before quitting this boring expansion. I guess I'll be back in 8.1 to roll a Xandalari paladin. Until then...cba.

Thanks for input.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    In balanced 1v1 (similar gear, all cds ready, etc.) no, not really. From my experience all defensives just delay the inevitable and mentioned deep roots talents does not seem to work for me. I think it works like fear which breaks randomly between sneezing at the enemy and doing up to 15-20% max HP dmg, the spread is just larger and if you are lucky you can do some serious damage...this randomness is meh, especially in larger encounters (all those thing that may break on any damage seem to fall off very quickly when there are 5 dots and a pet or two attacking your target, but thats just my observation).

For me balance is very fun to play in epic BGs.
    With respect to Deep Roots, that's why it's better in small group scenarios than large groups, because roots will still break fast with > 3 people hitting the target. 1v1 scenarios I've never had roots break earlier than expected from damage, unless the opponent trinkets or uses some ability to remove roots. I've even tested it on NPCs, like guards in AV with Mass Entanglement, the damage at which the roots break is very predictable.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville