Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it possible to maintain 60fps?

Hey guys, lately I've spent a lot time reading about people complaining 60fps is not possible to maintain in raids and in big cities non matter what pc they have. Now in the other hand some people say with right settings it's easy doable. Now some of my friends say that they have stable 60fps in LFR on 1080p. My specs are next :
    Motherboard : Msi B450 Pro m2
    Cpu : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 stocked (haven't done any OC)
    RAM : 8GB Ddr4 3000mhz
    Gpu: Nvidia Gtx 1060 6GB
    Now all components are new and I have done any overclocking or anything. I am playing on ultra wide monitor 2560x1080 (ultra wide 1080p) and there is no way I can maintain 60 fps in Lfr or even some dungeons like Tol Dagor and Motherlode. On boss fights in Lfr my fps drops to about 45-55 fps so I am asking is it really possible to maintain 60fps or there is something wrong with my PC?
    I am playing on settings 7,with AA disabled, SSAO disabled, Shadow quality low, view distance 1.
    Am I missing something?
    PS: oh yes, my game mode is disabled and Nvidia experience is off as well and playing on dx11.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahneasten View Post
    Hey guys, lately I've spent a lot time reading about people complaining 60fps is not possible to maintain in raids and in big cities non matter what pc they have. Now in the other hand some people say with right settings it's easy doable. Now some of my friends say that they have stable 60fps in LFR on 1080p. My specs are next :
    Now all components are new and I have done any overclocking or anything. I am playing on ultra wide monitor 2560x1080 (ultra wide 1080p) and there is no way I can maintain 60 fps in Lfr or even some dungeons like Tol Dagor and Motherlode. On boss fights in Lfr my fps drops to about 45-55 fps so I am asking is it really possible to maintain 60fps or there is something wrong with my PC?
    I am playing on settings 7,with AA disabled, SSAO disabled, Shadow quality low, view distance 1.
    Am I missing something?
    PS: oh yes, my game mode is disabled and Nvidia experience is off as well and playing on dx11.
    Your friends are full of shit there is nothing wrong with your computer there is a reason they are doing graphics optimizations in 8.1 because the game runs like shit esp in lfr or with 25+ people hell there are even single rooms that will tank your FPS with 10 people only like Zuls platform ect.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahneasten View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Are you sure your friends actually mean 60 and not just 30+? When the average person says their game is running at 60fps they usually just mean 30+ since it's not choppy.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Maintain 60fps at all times?

Nope. Anyone telling you otherwise is full of shit.

AVERAGE 60fps? Sure.
    60 FPS+ 95% of the time? You betcha.

but you WILL dip into the 50s or high 40s during really CPU-stressful situations (raids during Bloodlust and lots of boss effects are such a place), at least for a little while. Might only be 5, 10, 15 seconds. But it WILL happen.

So anyone telling you "they never drop below 60fps ever no matter what" or anything like that - is full of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot maintain 60 during raids. WoW is terribly optimized at the moment, has been for years. Hopefully 8.1 will fix that, we don't know yet.

I think WoW is mostly processor dependent when it comes to having a lot of players on screen, and that processor will definitely chug with a lot of players on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You cannot maintain 60 during raids. WoW is terribly optimized at the moment, has been for years. Hopefully 8.1 will fix that, we don't know yet.
    yeah if you use windows 10... for w7 users they just give you a big fucking FUCK YOU

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont ever remember dropping below 60fps. Usually in the 100+ range.
    Every setting at max.

32gb DDR4-3000
    mdrive x2 OS/WoW
    1080TI
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Quote Originally Posted by mqrtk View Post
    yeah if you use windows 10... for w7 users they just give you a big fucking FUCK YOU
    Even Microsoft is ending their support for Win7, why do you expect Blizz to continue developing the game for an unsupported OS?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    I dont ever remember dropping below 60fps. Usually in the 100+ range.
    Every setting at max.

32gb DDR4-3000
    mdrive x2 OS/WoW
    1080TI
    You ALLWAYS drop below 60FPS in raids. NOTHING can keep 60FPS in raids 100% of the time
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    You ALLWAYS drop below 60FPS in raids. NOTHING can keep 60FPS in raids 100% of the time
    As long as you define raids as current content, mythic or other organized groups of 15+ people, this is true. It might be possible with high end overclocked cpus in small groups (talking 10-12 people) or in lfr where half the group is afk. People calling 60+ fps and never droping below are either only looking at fps whil out of combat or are running small groups / lfr on high end hardware. While the raid is buffing up before the pull i can get 100+ fps at 2560x1440 (depends on the place, some rooms kill fps) and every setting maxed, but in combat, primarily during heavy situtations (talking bloodlust, huge aoe stuff), it will drop to low 40s. There simply is no hardware available that can push higher numbers in those situations with the current game/engine.

Not with an AMD CPU at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mqrtk View Post
    the wonders of dx12 hermano, get on with the times boi, win7 is almost 10 years old and the support for it is being pulled back by the OS makers themselves, no wonder game companies are slowly starting to abandon it too, win10 is superior

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/sof...tx_12_update/1

we might be able to maintain 60 in raids during bl and shit soon, 25% increase on 1080p with an 8700k, mannnnnnnnnn, dx12 working some magic even in an ancient optimisation shitshow that wow is (for win10 users, that is, not you win7 plebs)
    Last edited by mauserr; 2018-10-13 at 09:28 PM.

anybody that still uses windows 7, 10 years after its release, 15 years after its systems core functions where written, is kind of a moron, im 37 years old.

btt: try directx 12, it should be an improvement for your system. and why the hell do you buy a ryzen 26 and use cheap 3 ghz ram on it?

ryzen perfomance is tied to ram speed, its the latency timings. consensus is that 3.2ghz ram cl 14 is the sweespot for internal cpu timings, below 3.2 your ram is slowing the cpu down (that wastrue for the old ryzen 7 release, the newer ones may need even faster ram)

if u have money, get some sweet 3.2 ghz (or even higher) cl 14 ram and watch you system run approximatly 15 % faster on benchmarks.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2018-10-13 at 10:16 PM.

Depends entirely on settings. Even on a 5.3 GHz i7 with most settings maxed (view distance was at 7, shadows at high, water might have been at good), I remember dropping to 50 in parts of Suramar. Talador was bad as well back in WoD. Zones with lots of foliage (like Elwynn, God bless its heart) seem to be particularly nasty.

In raids, by the way, I find that turning down particle density can help immensely. All those spells being cast by dozens of people take up a lot of cycles. And smart use of view distance is almost always your biggest FPS saver.

The game is way more optimized than it was several years ago, meaning you can probably run the game with respectable framerates on a budget gaming PC.

Its funny we are running practically the same setup. 2600X and MSI X470. I mean, I think you could do with alittle more ram. At your tier of a setup. You cant really expect prime performance. And @60FPS in a raid. You might want to invest abit more. Or get some trusted wizard to OC your setup alittle higher to squeeze as much as possible out of it. Youre good. Nothing wrong on your side, other than you are kinda looking at some, sort of dated AMD Build. From experience, a 2600X and 470 chipset with 16gb ram with the same in-game settings. I dont see much better on my side. Maybe ~7ish more frames on average.

Also troubleshoot, make sure your sides good. Asking questions wont increase framerate. Not to be a dick just... saying. Troubleshoot. Troubleshoot. Troubleshoot.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Video card may be struggling to push that ultrawide

Easy, get a top end and very recent intel CPU and overclock it to 5ghz with good cooling.
    I've never had good luck with AMD and pure single core performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    not on mythic, maybe on a full 40 man raid but I haven't tested that.
    Last edited by Chowder; 2018-10-17 at 07:23 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
    Easy, get a top end and very recent intel CPU and overclock it to 5ghz with good cooling.
    I've never had good luck with AMD and pure single core performance.

- - - Updated - - -

not on mythic, maybe on a full 40 man raid but I haven't tested that.
    NO system can run raids at 60FPS at all time on ultra. No matter what. You will ALLWAYS dip below 60FPS when to much is going on at once
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: