Thread: 1060 vs 1080

Deleted

1060 vs 1080

Question is kinda simple. I can get a 1060 for 250€ or a 1080 for 500€. Is the 1080 worth double the price of the 1060? Or should I buy the 1060 now and wait maybe a year or two to upgrade the graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by Krautbernd View Post
    Question is kinda simple. I can get a 1060 for 250€ or a 1080 for 500€. Is the 1080 worth double the price of the 1060? Or should I buy the 1060 now and wait maybe a year or two to upgrade the graphics card?
    It really depends what are you using it for. If you do 1080p, there is little point with a 1080.

Another thing if you feel 250€ is a lot of money, usually it's money away from something else.

I would say yes, it is worth double the price of the 1060 the 1080 is a beast of a card but do you need it?

The 1080 is curiously more technically superior than the 1060. Probably something to do with how they have had to cut down the architecture to make the 1060 and the fact that the 1080 uses a different type of memory, the 1080 is substantially more power efficient.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...X_1060/27.html

The 1080 is 170% on 1440p faster while being nearly 10-20% more power efficient.

However, if you are gaming on 1080p the GTX 1060 kind of dominates still as in there are probably not a lot of settings you are going to need to turn down. 1440p, the 1060 is passable but you are probably going to want the GTX 1080.

So:

You can assume that you will hold on to the 1080 substantially longer(maybe skip a generation) because it really is that much faster. There is less reason to follow this logic if you are on 1080p resolution because that does not really allow the GTX1080 to stretch it's legs. The fly in the ointment is this new generation RTX cards and their ray tracing/fancy anti aliasing. I think it does speak volumes that this only exists on the high end cards and as such probably will not see widespread adoption just yet. If you are going to skip a generation the 2000 series makes sense. Maybe the next lot will all be RTX(ray tracing) cards.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Thanks everyone, Since I am on a 1080p 144Hz Monitor and money is tight, I'm probably gonna go with the 1060 for now. As for the waiting: I'm not sure how feasable that is right now, as my old computer died and I have no Idea how long it will take for the RTX Launch to affect card prices in any significant way.

How urgently do you need it?

From what I just read the 2070 out performs the 1080, but it isn't out yet. It is due out the 17th it says here? It's also the same price

Also guess it depends what you want it for, if you're planning on running VR, go for the 1080 ( / 2070), 1060 will work for it, but you'll be capped at 45 FPS in vr. The way it works is, if you're card is capable of 45 or less you get 45. If it can hit 90 you'll get 90. But say if it'll hit 85, you'll still be capped at 45. Gives a smoother game overall and less chance of motion sickness from what I read when I got mine.

Again, if you can wait, even for the 1060, I'd wait for the rtx series to come out and see how much you can get the 1060 for then. I know a few months ago my mate picked up a 1050ti 137 / 47 GBP

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone, Since I am on a 1080p 144Hz Monitor and money is tight, I'm probably gonna go with the 1060 for now. As for the waiting: I'm not sure how feasable that is right now, as my old computer died and I have no Idea how long it will take for the RTX Launch to affect card prices in any significant way.
    a 144hz monitor? do that monitor justice with the higher card
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How much can you get a 1070ti for?
    It costs about the same as 1080. However its probably more like "can you find 1070ti?". I wanted one, couldn't find any. Had to buy 1080 and I was lucky to find one. Coin miners are buying them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    It costs about the same as 1080. However its probably more like "can you find 1070ti?". I wanted one, couldn't find any. Had to buy 1080 and I was lucky to find one. Coin miners are buying them all.
    Coin miners, from what I've seen, are all leaving the market. Prices are cratering, so the people I know who bought a bunch of GPUs are all trying to get rid of them
    RTX launch has pushed prices down already, not much, but a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    a 144hz monitor? do that monitor justice with the higher card
    I wish. Well maaaybe I can order a new PC without a graphics card, re-use my ancient GTX 760 for a while and the upgrade to the RTX when it comes out, should the price really also be 500€ which.. Well we'll have to see I guess. Damn I wish I wasn't so dirt poor.

I wish. Well maaaybe I can order a new PC without a graphics card, re-use my ancient GTX 760 for a while and the upgrade to the RTX when it comes out, should the price really also be 500€ which.. Well we'll have to see I guess. Damn I wish I wasn't so dirt poor.
    1080 will be more future proof, however I would suspect you'll be happy with the 1060, and by the time it starts to get overwhelmed, you can spend the other 250€ and buy a new card (1260/1360??) that will potentially out perform the 1080.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Depends on your other components too, so it doesn't get bottleneck and if you are going to get a 1060, get the 6gb version.

ps : 1060 is enough for 1080p gaming.

I'm not sure it "Very" operate in the US, but if they do check them out.

they offer a price plan thats buy now pay later. You can pay as much or as little as you want, when you want across a 12 month period with no interest. That's where I got my rig from and it was cheaper than building it myself.

Bonus point: They seem to be useless or just lazy in the warehouse, I ordered the an I7, 1080 system that came in at 1300, when my system arrived; it had I5 written stuck on it. So booted it up, did a check. Turned out the sticker was wrong, it was an I7, but a better chip than what it should have been, I then noticed the card in it wasn't 1080..... it was a 1080 ti xD
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

144Hz? You definitely want a 1080 then, the 1060 isn't going to get you anywhere close to 144 FPS in most games even at 1080p. The 1060 is already struggling a bit with 60 FPS in the latest games.

If you can't afford a 1080 then at least get a 1070.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Coin miners are buying them all.
    lol

mining hasn't been relevant to GPU prices for months now, the value of cryptocurrency has tanked across the board
    Last edited by Courierrawr; 2018-10-13 at 04:18 PM.

Used a 1060 for 3 weeks until my replacement 1080ti came from the retailer, even games like Divinity Original Sin2 and Path of Exile dips well below 60 fps on 1080p maxed out. Definitely 1080 (avoid the gainward ones, had two of them, both died in 6 months due faulty PCB, i got my MSI 1080ti as a replacement of them).