Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Tabletop/board games

Lately got into tabletop games and having a lot of fun with a few friends. Used to play D&D a long time ago but then took a maybe 12-13 years break.
    I bought Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror. MoM is quite easy to get into and really fun to play even solo. It's also cool that the smartphone/computer app does a lot of work for you, and miniatures are fun to have.
    I heard only good things about EH but damn it takes time to learn. I'm also looking to get Gloomhaven since it seems to be one of the best tabletop games but can't find it anywhere for a normal price. I'm also eyeing Massive Darkness because it's supposedly tabletop Diablo.

There must be a bunch of people here who play? What is your favorite tabletop game?
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2018-10-15 at 10:16 AM.

Beerpong

I love board games, and even regular card games. Sadly, it seems I was born too late. No one really seems interested in either these days. I get to play cards with my grandparents once a month when I visit them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I love board games, and even regular card games. Sadly, it seems I was born too late. No one really seems interested in either these days. I get to play cards with my grandparents once a month when I visit them.
    In Oxford, they have board game cafe called "Thirsty Meeples"

I've still not been yet, even though I'm just up the road! But then again, I have a cupboard full of games (Betrayal at House on the Hill, Scythe, and classics such as Go For Broke haha)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a tabletop player for quite some time now, playing everything from D&D to Pathfinder to Dark Heresy etc.
    My friends and I are even running a campaign right now and next session is sometime this weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cards Against Humanity -- Exploding Kittens

Not exactly board games but they're a lot of fun.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Lately got into tabletop games and having a lot of fun with a few friends. Used to play D&D a long time ago but then took a maybe 12-13 years break.
    I bought Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror. MoM is quite easy to get into and really fun to play even solo. It's also cool that the smartphone/computer app does a lot of work for you, and miniatures are fun to have.
    I heard only good things about EH but damn it takes time to learn. I'm also looking to get Gloomhaven since it seems to be one of the best tabletop games but can't find it anywhere for a normal price. I'm also eyeing Massive Darkness because it's supposedly tabletop Diablo.

There must be a bunch of people here who play? What is your favorite tabletop game?
    Sadly, Tabletop games aren't much welcomed in society anymore. Once, you used to be able to sit at a café to find people to play with. Not anymore.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

my buddies and i play Star Wars Edge of the Empire

its fun, but can be a bit complex to a new player

only thing is, don't let your jackass friend play. everyone has one.

our jackass friend just wants to "find a hooker" in an rpg game...he gets pass out drunk by 9pm and greatly hinders progress in our story. honestly would boot him from our game, but we play at his house and im not in charge lol
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2018-10-15 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I play D&D in various incarnations (that includes Pathfinder), One Ring and Shadowrun (thought the latter is on hiatus right now). Used to play a lot of White Wolf's games as well, but I'm just not the teenage edgelord anymore that in retrospect seems to have always been the primary target audience. Oh, there's also GURPS, but it takes a certain... devotion.

As for board games, I prefer complex ones like Game of Thrones or Scythe though it really depends on the crowd you play with. If you can throw weekend-long sessions you could give Twilight Imperium a try. (It's not about vampires.) If you want quick games, take a look at Ticket to Ride or Zombicide. Arkham Horror is a good one somewhere inbetween.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, Tabletop games aren't much welcomed in society anymore. Once, you used to be able to sit at a café to find people to play with. Not anymore.
    I think that's not so much about gaming as it is about... people becoming more reluctant to actually make an effort to make connections. How many threads do we have here that boil down to "get a guild"?

Currently in a long term 5e D&D campaign, which is a lot of fun. We sometimes play the card game Munchkin with various expansions and the Munchkin board game.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I think that's not so much about gaming as it is about... people becoming more reluctant to actually make an effort to make connections. How many threads do we have here that boil down to "get a guild"?
    Too many..........
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I've played a little D&D but my family and I typically play Arkham Horror
    Dominion
    Settlers

DnD here, currently running a homebrew campaign for my friends. im so thankful to have acess to sites like roll20. it makes it much easier for people who aren't even in the same country to play together.

DnD has a scary way of being expensive the more you're into it if you're playing around a table...
    you only need a set of dice and a phb/dmg to play.. but then you might want extra dice, mineatures, modules, dm screens. etc etc..
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't much care for the the old Mansions of Madness, but the new version was ok. Still it's somewhat inferior or light compared to say Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror (there is a new 3rd edition coming "soon", preorders are still available at FFG I think, to lazy to check right now). I quite like EH but it's not as good, or interesting as, AH.

Gloomhaven is quite nice to, that said be prepared to spend a lot of time playing it. It's a quite long game and most evenings when we play we usually manage to do two sometimes three missions. So we did some horrible napkin math as of late and figured we would still be playing that game for years before we have completed it or all the possible missions. So I guess you do get a lot of game for your money with that one. Also you should quite possibly get the APP you can download for Gloomhaven to keep track of all the monsters and the turn orders, that really improved the game for us from having to have done it manually. Currently we mix and match a bit -- as in we keep track of turn order and the monsters with the app but players track their own health, conditions and experience.

Beyond that just go to BGG and start checking games around the top of the list, most of them are quite good -- which is why they are at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You're kidding right?
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-games-revival

This is a great day and age for board games.

Geez where do I start for great board games?

Pandemic - Any version. I finally manged to win a game of Rising Tide on Friday.
    Gloomhaven - Probably the most diabolically detailed dungeon delving legacy game you're likely to find. Game play requires a different state of mind than most comparable games.
    Spirit Island - Deadly island spirits have to drive away the evil Colonizers!
    Tiny Epic... by Gamelyn Games - A variety of small, inexpensive games but I've yet to find one I didn't like.
    Scythe - A board control game in an interesting Steampunk setting. Unlike similar games its not all about military conquest.
    Agricola - Worker placement game. As seen on Orphan Black! Don't cheat like Rachel.
    Lords of Waterdeep - Another worker placement game based on DnD's Forgotten Realms campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to have loads of board games then something weird happened about a decade or two ago and people lost interest. Had a mound of them in the loft and sold them all in a car boot sale and auction for next to nothing.

Used to love playing Risk, Cluedo, Monopoly, Totopoly and many more you've probably never heard of.

Only time I play boardgames is during Christmas when the family's together. And it always ends unfinished and in frustration...

The joys of Monopoly!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure not many here remember playing BattleTech back in the day. That game predates me by several years even.

10+ Year Old Account
    My long-time "white whale" boardgame I finally snagged a copy of when it was republished is Cosmic Encounter. No two games are going to be the same. The basic concept is simple; each player is an alien race, and you're trying to establish colonies on planets, everyone has 5 planets in their system. You need (I think) 5 different colonies to win. The "combat" to resolve invasions is simple.

But where it gets complex is that you negotiate alliances with other players, for both attack and defense. And further, every alien race is pulled from a deck of race cards, and every single one has a special rule, essentially a way to "cheat". The relatively low victory condition means games are frenetic after the first few moves. It's not as insanely complex as Diplomacy, but it shares some of that simplicity of rules combined with complexity of negotiation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Only time I play boardgames is during Christmas when the family's together. And it always ends unfinished and in frustration...

The joys of Monopoly!
    Monopoly is a terrible game. It was originally designed to show people why capitalism is awful. That people get frustrated and angry and ragequit and the only person enjoying themselves is the guy with all the property, that's the point.

Still play D&D every Saturday. This being the US and everyone moving 1,000 miles away means we have to remote. It's still fun but not the same as having everyone in the same room. At least it keeps us in touch.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland