Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Magic the Gathering is the only board game I play, a lot of irl friends also play it.

I also own a big legacy, foil cards collection, but man this game costs a lot sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get to D&D as much as I want too.

Currently playing in a Star Trek, Shadow Run & Dragonlance Game. All at least 4-5 years playing (even if we only play once every 6months).

Thankfully the board games I get to play with my nieces and nephews. Destroying them at Monopoly teaches them character

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I'm also looking to get Gloomhaven since it seems to be one of the best tabletop games but can't find it anywhere for a normal price.
    The thing with Gloomhaven being 140 on Amazon (US) is that is the cheapest I've seen it in a long time and that price likely won't be going down. The sheer amount of stuff in that box is crazy compared to other games.(Hell it weighs like 20 pounds). Hands down it is the best board game I've played since Warhammer Quest back in the late 90s. I've been in a campaign with some friends and we've had at least 15-20 six to eight hour sessions and we still haven't completed the game yet. Tons of classes keep it fresh and I love the card system for figuring out actions. There is a great tablet/phone app for it as well for tracking monster stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Gloomhaven is by no means cheap for a game, but Kingdom Death: Monster mentioned by @Pattiecakes blows it out of the water in that department. Which is a shame since it looks intriguing as hell.
    Holy shit, that game looks amazing. I'd never heard of Kingdom Death: Monster and after looking it up I think my group will be picking it up to change up the pace from Gloomhaven.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Warhammer Quest is a much-loved classic. The new boxed iterations (Silver Tower/Shadows over Hammerhal) have nice sculpts and are pretty decent self-contained campaigns, and there is a lot of material available for creating new custom campaigns as well. When we're not playing D&D 5e my group mostly plays this.
    How would you rate Silver tower and Shadows compared to the original Warhammer Quest? I mean if I could get the original Warhammer Quest as a reprint I'd jump all over that, I miss playing that one a lot.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I took a break from board games for the last 4 years while my kids were newborn to now at 3+... they would not let the board and/or counters stay alive for more than a few minutes....

I've been playing a bit of Catan with family lately - it's a lot of fun. Monopoly and Ludo (with our own 'special' rules variants) are still fun with my mom / aunt / grannies etc who can still play a simple game for fun. Used to play Risk back in the day - 5-6 hour games were the most fun! Looking for suggestions for something not overly complex if anyone has some

Oh boy Once I played battlestar galactica. infesting whole fucking ship haha good times.
    The other time was an cowboy-sherif kinda one, i forgot the name.

damn, i had amazing time playing both. It takes some time to get the rules and shit but once everybody figures out how to play it is so much fun. I want to play again but no friends to play with.

As a connoisseur of games, I will also echo the greatness of Gloomhaven. I am a proud supporter of board games on kickstarter and have backed many games, but gloomhaven is by far my favorite. The simplest explanation is that it is D&D with cards instead of dice.

Other games of note:

Sold my Kingdom Death Monster, it's really great but my group started to hate it too much to keep, plus I got more then I paid for it on the resell.

The 7th continent is good but a little repetitive. It is a choose your own adventure style board game where you make the map with squares.

Terraforming Mars is an excellent game if you do not mind playing games that are tracked by VPs.

One of our group's favorite is Tyrants of the Underdark. It's a d&d game that is deck building instead of dice with a board domination similar to low scale risk.

And of course, everyone's old standby, Settler's of Catan.

The newest game we got is Root. It's beautiful and we are waiting for our fourth person to get back to play. Not sure how the game will play, but the artwork is amazing.

As others have stated, a great place to look for games or meet people who play is at boardgamegeek

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know when Nemesis is coming out for everyone? Since I just got into tabletop I missed Kickstarter. It supposedly shipping this month to the backers.

Edit:
    I found one on Ebay for twice its listed price, $400 + shipping + import charges which clocks at nearly $600. But it's Kickstarter all inclusive.
    Temped to buy it, I love sci-fi survival games.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2018-10-16 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Lately got into tabletop games and having a lot of fun with a few friends. Used to play D&D a long time ago but then took a maybe 12-13 years break.
    I bought Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror. MoM is quite easy to get into and really fun to play even solo. It's also cool that the smartphone/computer app does a lot of work for you, and miniatures are fun to have.
    I heard only good things about EH but damn it takes time to learn. I'm also looking to get Gloomhaven since it seems to be one of the best tabletop games but can't find it anywhere for a normal price. I'm also eyeing Massive Darkness because it's supposedly tabletop Diablo.

There must be a bunch of people here who play? What is your favorite tabletop game?
    Pandemic legacy was amazing (if you have a closed group of 4 people) and I highly recommend. I will start season 2 today.

Zombicide is quite fun as well, thought it can get a bit too brutal if you are playing harder levels with expansions.

For quick games I really love Azul and Code names.

PS: Check betrayal at house on hill, it looks similar to the ones you mentioned. It is a game that starts as co-op, until someone is cursed and them is the cursed vs the rest.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

i'm literally 1 mission away from finishing the main gloomhaven campaign - it's been awesome.

my brother in law runs a board game podcast and we have a board game session every sunday, he's got a collection in the hundreds and gets gifted review copies - so i get to play a large variety of games.

of recent, terraforming mars, spice road, spartacus and village attacks.

among my favourites, i would list Star Wars imperial assault, gloomhaven, room 25, dead of winter, pandemic legacy (season 1), risk legacy, arcadia quest, eldritch horror.

among my least favourites. the fallout boardgame, seafall, tzolk'in and other Euro-type games. they just didn't hit the mark.

there's a bunch of others, if anyone ever needs board game recommendations, give me a shout

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Pandemic legacy was amazing (if you have a closed group of 4 people) and I highly recommend. I will start season 2 today.

Zombicide is quite fun as well, thought it can get a bit too brutal if you are playing harder levels with expansions.

For quick games I really love Azul and Code names.

PS: Check betrayal at house on hill, it looks similar to the ones you mentioned. It is a game that starts as co-op, until someone is cursed and them is the cursed vs the rest.
    betrayal at house on the hill is great, i like betrayal games a lot, there's nothing quite like when someone in a close knit group of friends is a total cunt as a bad guy and nobody notices until it's far too late to do anything about it.

i hate to say it, but pandemic legacy season 2 just didn't do it for me, or my group, we ended up abandoning it. it could be we just fucked ourselves, but it seemed like there was a bit of a broken mechanic. have fun though, i hope your playthrough goes better than mine did.
    <insert witty signature here>

My group is 4 sessions into Kingdom Death: Monster and its fun but not as good as Gloomhaven IMO. Gloomhaven combat (player control), classes and maps are superior. KDM has much better bosses and enemy AI as well as an interesting colony advancement phase. In KDM you live and die by the dice where Gloomhaven has a modifier deck that can be changed into the player's favor. In our last session of KDM the boss obliterated one of us in a single turn. Full health to dead. That player then got to watch the rest of the session, which isn't fun.

Settlers of Catan (+Cities and Knights Expansion) is a staple and we pull it out every now and again. Cities and Knights is a must own as the base game is way to boring otherwise.
    Ticket to Ride: Europe (+1912 Expansion) is an easy game for new players. I really enjoy this as a change of pace from the more complex games I tend to play. Also kid friendly
    Alchemists (+The King's Golem Expansion) I really like this worker placement game but I'm not convinced the expansion is needed.
    Lords of Waterdeep (+ Scoundrels of Skullport Expansion) This is our go to worker placement game. Nice aesthetics but very basic game play. We really enjoy the expansion and would recommend it. This is the game we use to introduce new players to worker placement games.
    Caverna My personal favorite worker placement game. I have not yet played Agricola but I hear it's fantastic and is very similar if not more punishing.

Games I would steer away from.
    Zombicide Black Plague
    This game looks really cool and fits well into the zombie theme for people that love the genre. We enjoyed the mission progression and combat however there's a game breaking problem. Loot is way more powerful than leveling up your character. This results in the team spending the first several rounds looting and ignoring everything else. Once you have a few items on each person you tend to roll over the zombies. If you look around online you can find suggested "House" rules to make it more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    How would you rate Silver tower and Shadows compared to the original Warhammer Quest? I mean if I could get the original Warhammer Quest as a reprint I'd jump all over that, I miss playing that one a lot.
    I really like Silver Tower. Its hard to remember specific details about WQ. I remember enjoying it in the past but back then there really wasn't a comparable game. Gloomhaven is certainly superiour.

I do remember me and my buddies buying multiple copies of WQ to pad out Warhammer Fantasy armies. It was probably the cheepest way to build up a Skaven army.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I have a small group of friends and used to get together to play stuff along the lines of D&D/Pathfinder every Saturday. We haven't been able to do it in a long while because of various circumstances (people in group got new jobs/schedule changes over time that made it difficult to continue). We'd just rotate who got to be the DM. When we finished your story (or you just got tired of it and wanted to step down), someone else would take a turn.

It was a lot of fun. We had rulebooks and such handy, of course, but we were very relaxed and generally just went with "the DM is the boss" when it came to rules. We did lots of stuff that wouldn't fly in an official game. More than anything, it was an excuse for us to hang out and drink beer/eat junk food for a few hours on Saturday evenings. We could very easily lose track of time and still be at it until 1 or 2 in the morning sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I love board games, and even regular card games. Sadly, it seems I was born too late. No one really seems interested in either these days. I get to play cards with my grandparents once a month when I visit them.
    dunno about you, but i love board games =D

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i'm literally 1 mission away from finishing the main gloomhaven campaign - it's been awesome.

my brother in law runs a board game podcast and we have a board game session every sunday, he's got a collection in the hundreds and gets gifted review copies - so i get to play a large variety of games.

of recent, terraforming mars, spice road, spartacus and village attacks.

among my favourites, i would list Star Wars imperial assault, gloomhaven, room 25, dead of winter, pandemic legacy (season 1), risk legacy, arcadia quest, eldritch horror.

among my least favourites. the fallout boardgame, seafall, tzolk'in and other Euro-type games. they just didn't hit the mark.

there's a bunch of others, if anyone ever needs board game recommendations, give me a shout

- - - Updated - - -

betrayal at house on the hill is great, i like betrayal games a lot, there's nothing quite like when someone in a close knit group of friends is a total cunt as a bad guy and nobody notices until it's far too late to do anything about it.

i hate to say it, but pandemic legacy season 2 just didn't do it for me, or my group, we ended up abandoning it. it could be we just fucked ourselves, but it seemed like there was a bit of a broken mechanic. have fun though, i hope your playthrough goes better than mine did.
    My neighbor just got a second copy of Gloomhaven so we can play it. I am really looking forward to it!
    We tried playing mice and mystics but I think it is too simplified, combat feels very fast and unbalanced (normal fights end in a single roll, boss fights are insanely hard). It is hard to take calculated risks in that game, in the end luck becomes a far too big part of it (I think it was made with kids in mind).

As for Pandemic Season 2, I really do hope we like it, I moved countries so my friends flight over here and extended their vacation so we can play it =x
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I've been a tabletop player for quite some time now, playing everything from D&D to Pathfinder to Dark Heresy etc.
    My friends and I are even running a campaign right now and next session is sometime this weekend.
    An old school friend of mine wrote for Dark Heresy (and also WFRP). He also worked on an independent game a few years back too:
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-RPG-Core-Book

I'm of the right age to have played a ton of the old GW stuff like Space Hulk/Space Crusade/Blood Bowl/Heroquest/Warhammer Quest/Necromunda, etc. I've also played plenty of pen and paper stuff in my time too. It's been a loooooong time though.

I play a lot of Tabletop games. WE do DnD 5e and 3.5. Plus some mutants and masterminds to spice things up. My brother is an avid board game players and has a tone. Most recently we started playing Too Many Bones. great game.

Gloomhaven is on my list to try.

The Tiny Epic games are all good to great. Tiny Epic Galaxies is probably the best of the bunch.

Scythe is pretty good. its has great art and flavor.

Now is a great time to get into boardgames. there is so much good stuff out there right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Long story short, it's different. The stats/combat has been streamlined and honestly works really well but it's not as deep as the original. That said, I actually prefer it because for a board game it saves time checking tables and lets you spend more time killing shit - everything you need to know is right on the Hero card in front of you. ST and Shadows are both very different from each other though, with Shadows being much more in line with the original WHQ.

That said, there are official supplemental materials that let you unlock the same level of customization that the original WHQ had for new storylines, campaigns, etc. There are WAY more heroes to select from - almost every miniature from the new Age of Sigmar line has a corresponding Hero Card - and a lot of them have way more interesting mechanics than anything you'd find in the original WHQ.

ST and Shadows both act as self-contained boxed campaigns when you first get them. ST is set up to allow either a DM or a DM-by-committee kind of playstyle (kind of like a choose-your-own-adventure style book with a ton of scripted and random events), while Shadows is strictly DM-based. That's the model I expect GW to follow in the future as having a proper DM lets them do more with the story. We actually ended up playing ST with a DM for the whole time anyways as it was easier than passing around the book.

Hopefully that made it a bit more clear! The games are different, modernized, but not in a bad way. If you're more of a diehard WHQ fan I recommend starting with Shadows as its closer to the original, though I really like ST as well. Essentially, just like the original WHQ, they're as fun as you can make them - you're almost playing a Warhammer-themed 4e D&D campaign after all.

Feel free to shoot me any more questions and check out my IG for some photos of painted ST and Shadows sculpts if you're interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I really like Silver Tower. Its hard to remember specific details about WQ. I remember enjoying it in the past but back then there really wasn't a comparable game. Gloomhaven is certainly superiour.

I do remember me and my buddies buying multiple copies of WQ to pad out Warhammer Fantasy armies. It was probably the cheepest way to build up a Skaven army.
    Gloomhaven is a fantastic game in its own right, but it's pretty different from WHQ, even more so the new iterations of WHQ. One of the big draws to WHQ has also always been the hobby aspect of it, which Gloomhaven doesn't have at all. Of course that's not always a bad thing, as you're ready to go right out of the box which you're certainly not with WHQ.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My long-time "white whale" boardgame I finally snagged a copy of when it was republished is Cosmic Encounter. No two games are going to be the same. The basic concept is simple; each player is an alien race, and you're trying to establish colonies on planets, everyone has 5 planets in their system. You need (I think) 5 different colonies to win. The "combat" to resolve invasions is simple.

But where it gets complex is that you negotiate alliances with other players, for both attack and defense. And further, every alien race is pulled from a deck of race cards, and every single one has a special rule, essentially a way to "cheat". The relatively low victory condition means games are frenetic after the first few moves. It's not as insanely complex as Diplomacy, but it shares some of that simplicity of rules combined with complexity of negotiation.

- - - Updated - - -

Monopoly is a terrible game. It was originally designed to show people why capitalism is awful. That people get frustrated and angry and ragequit and the only person enjoying themselves is the guy with all the property, that's the point.
    Another interesting aspect of cosmic encounters is that the number of people who win any given game is variable. There's always that one person who can't grasp the rules and they tend to ruin games like cosmic encounters, but If you can get a group that's into playing the game it is a lot of fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I just bought Massive Darkness with the Kickstarter bonuses. Looks like a fun dungeon crawler which reminds me of Diablo, and Diablo is one of my favorite games. Wasn't too bad either price-wise, about 50% more than what the normal game costs, but you get a ton of Kickstarter exclusives.

Thinking about getting Gloomhaven, but 3rd printing is going for €220 currently, which is almost double the normal price, and there is no extra stuff like what I got with Massive Darkness.

My party is now several weeks into Kingdom Death Monster and the more we play the lower my ranking of it goes. Another player and I would rank it down around 3/10 now. The satisfaction of surviving or defeating the monster just isn't there. Far to many turns result in you doing nothing or getting smashed in the face. The rare occurrences where you have a fantastic attack it's more of a "meh" feeling instead of excitement.
    For example, our last session went a little like this.
    We fight the (lvl 2) lion again (3-4th time fighting the thing) as we farm resources to complete the lion armor.
    Due to our rolling and how the cards were drawn the lion ran all over the place. The first several turns our melee focused heroes spent all their actions chasing and not really attacking.
    Eventually we got some damage in and things were going rather well.
    My character manged to roll waist every time I took damage, eventually dying to groin punches. Me wearing the only bound weapon of awesomeness. Please note that I never felt in danger. I went from fully armored to death in about 2 turns.
    The other members win the day!
    The resources we randomly received were not those that we needed to finish the last piece of gear for the set.
    Next week we fight the lion again....

This is an example of 1 week. EVERY WEEK feels this way. Far and away the best part of this game is playing with friends. Maybe next week we can play Crazy 8's and have more fun.

I have to admit that the games owner and 1 other party member LOVE this game. 10+! Best board game they have played in years. Myself and 1 other party member give it a 3/10 so take what I say with a grain of salt.