7+ Year Old Account

HDR settings and changing brightness issue

Hello,

I recently changed from UltraWide to UltraHD monitors with HDR. For the first issue there is a setting in windows that enables HDR for games and apps. But doing so makes the screen washed out. Windows dedicated a whole page to offer remedies, but nothing worked. If HDR in windows is disabled the screen is bright and gives me a plethora of options to choose from (Custom, reader, photo, cinema, HDR Effect, Color Weakness, etc). When HDR is enabled in Windows I only have 4 options: HDR Vivid, HDR Standard, HDR Game and HDR Cinema. Is it best to leave it with HDR off in windows?

The second issue is quite irritating. The brightness changes/adapts when a new site is visited and when I stay on the site it periodically changes brightness. After doing some research I found an option under display that turns off adaptive brightness, but this options doesn't seem to exist anymore in windows 10.

Help would be appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Which monitor and HDR is kind of a mess on Windows.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Which monitor and HDR is kind of a mess on Windows.
    Hi, it's the LG 32UD99-W and LG 27UK650-W

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    Hi, it's the LG 32UD99-W and LG 27UK650-W
    So for HDR in general, there are quite a few qualifiers. A label being able to play HDR10 content just means that it can process and accept the signal, doesn't mean it can play it well. A UHD Premium certification would be there if it hits a certain level. It either must meet luminance of 1000cd/m2 and 20,000:1 contrast ratio or black level of 0.0005 cd/m2 and 540cd/m2 luminance to get this certification, along with 10bit color depth and wide gamut.

As for your specific monitor.

LG 27UK650 is a standard sRGB gamut monitor, any HDR content designed for wide gamut (they all are) will looked washed out because it's not displaying the colors in the proper color space. LG 32UD99 has no local dimming of any kind so it won't achieve the proper contrast but it at least is a wide gamut panel. Whether it be just some zones or full array local dimming, thus the contrast ratio is harder (and impossible) to meet on an LCD that isn't the type of Panasonic panel found on CG3145.
    You won't get a lot of say in settings when playing content during HDR because it's expected to play at a specific brightness and black level. So a sun shining should be played back at a brightness of 800cd/m2 will play at 800cd/m2.

In general you should leave Window's HDR off unless you're actually playing some sort of HDR content, whether it's movies or games.

As for adaptive brightness thing, it doesn't seem like either of those are equipped with Ambient Light Sensors, so not sure about that.

7+ Year Old Account
    In general you should leave Window's HDR off unless you're actually playing some sort of HDR content, whether it's movies or games.
    Like I said, when I switch HDR in windows on, the screen loses brightness/looks washed out and limites the options I have for HDR to 4. Fortunately when I leave it off, HDR is still detected in games but will offer either one of the two settings (4 settings like HDR Vivid or the multip option one with HDR effect=looks the best)

As for adaptive brightness thing, it doesn't seem like either of those are equipped with Ambient Light Sensors, so not sure about that.
    I'd like the brightness to keep on one value instead of changing. The reason why it changes is unclear but I doubt it has something to do with ambient light sensors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, when I switch HDR in windows on, the screen loses brightness/looks washed out and limites the options I have for HDR to 4. Fortunately when I leave it off, HDR is still detected in games but will offer either one of the two settings (4 settings like HDR Vivid or the multip option one with HDR effect=looks the best)
    And this is cause HDR on Windows is a mess. HDR will always limit settings. It's part of the nature of HDR content which is expected to play at certain settings. Anything not HDR when HDR is turned on in Windows will look absolutely weird cause Window's color management sucks. My guess is it's attempting to remap color for a DCI-P3 or Rec. 2020 to sRGB and over compensating it. It's best to only toggle it when playing HDR content and turn it off when not. Some games will toggle the setting itself but not all and movies don't expect it to at all.
    I'd like the brightness to keep on one value instead of changing. The reason why it changes is unclear but I doubt it has something to do with ambient light sensors.
    The reason I say ambient light sensor is because certain monitors have it equipped to change brightness based on ambient light. Otherwise you have a software set up that does it for you based off time or content.

So for HDR in general, there are quite a few qualifiers. A label being able to play HDR10 content just means that it can process and accept the signal, doesn't mean it can play it well. A UHD Premium certification would be there if it hits a certain level. It either must meet luminance of 1000cd/m2 and 20,000:1 contrast ratio or black level of 0.0005 cd/m2 and 540cd/m2 luminance to get this certification, along with 10bit color depth and wide gamut.

As for your specific monitor.

LG 27UK650 is a standard sRGB gamut monitor, any HDR content designed for wide gamut (they all are) will looked washed out because it's not displaying the colors in the proper color space. LG 32UD99 has no local dimming of any kind so it won't achieve the proper contrast but it at least is a wide gamut panel. Whether it be just some zones or full array local dimming, thus the contrast ratio is harder (and impossible) to meet on an LCD that isn't the type of Panasonic panel found on CG3145.
    You won't get a lot of say in settings when playing content during HDR because it's expected to play at a specific brightness and black level. So a sun shining should be played back at a brightness of 800cd/m2 will play at 800cd/m2.

Which 4k monitor do you recommend for hdr then? Because the one listed is probably the top 4k one rated on rtings besides the 2000 dollar hdr gsyncs.

I'm not saying what you say is incorrect, however I am interested to see what you think a good 4k hdr monitor is. I may purchase it, if it is in a reasonable price range. I am looking for something for my ps4 pro, and don't want to spend 2k, but do require hdr and 4k. The LG is where most recommendations lead me. I will continue to run my dell 1440p gsync 144hz for my pc.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2018-10-17 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    Leave it off in Windows it's awful. Enable it for the game that support it, is how I tackle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Which 4k monitor do you recommend for hdr then? Because the one listed is probably the top 4k one rated on rtings besides the 2000 dollar hdr gsyncs.

I'm not saying what you say is incorrect, however I am interested to see what you think a good 4k hdr monitor is. I may purchase it, if it is in a reasonable price range. I am looking for something for my ps4 pro, and don't want to spend 2k, but do require hdr and 4k. The LG is where most recommendations lead me. I will continue to run my dell 1440p gsync 144hz for my pc.
    Honestly speaking, you'd better be off looking at TVs if you're not willing to invest on the Asus $2000 one, PG27UQ. TVs recommendations I'd annoy @Artorius though.

Honestly speaking, you'd better be off looking at TVs if you're not willing to invest on the Asus $2000 one, PG27UQ. TVs recommendations I'd annoy @Artorius though.
    My problem isn't that it's 2000 bucks. It's that it's 2000 bucks and still has some problems. If there were 4 or 5 options in that price range and I could choose the best one, that would be one thing. Picking between 2 nearly identical monitors that aren't perfect is not ideal. I heard the LG the OP mentioned is solid. I also hear the TCL(if you live in the use) with the local dimming is a great option for the price but suffers from grey uniformity issues(clouding). It is also 100 bucks more than the LG, but of course it would have great HDR.

I already got a Vizio 2017 M series which is a great, super bright TV for HDR, wide color gamut as well, very few clouding issues, bad viewing angle, but I need a PS4 pro tv(or monitor) for the bedroom.

I wish there was a good 4k monitor for HDR that wasn't way overbuilt or overpriced. I think the LG the op linked is probably the closest thing we currently have. No local dimming is a letdown though.

I suspect the PS5 MAY have freesync, so I'm thinking get a freesync for futureproofing.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2018-10-17 at 09:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I suspect the PS5 MAY have freesync, so I'm thinking get a freesync for futureproofing.
    If it will contain an AMD GPU it will have FreeSync, the PS4/PS4 Pro already have it.

That said ... the PS5 is quite a while out ... you should wait fo that
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpoolie View Post
    Leave it off in Windows it's awful. Enable it for the game that support it, is how I tackle it.
    Hi, this is what I'll do.

Already have a TV with HDR. I needed two monitors with one having a big screen (32 was perfect). The white back of the monitors sealed the deal.

Not having 1000 nits is not a big concern since I sit closely in front of the monitor. And can live with the Windows/HDR ordeal. If only I could have a fix for the changing brightness problem. LG's support is playing hide and seek.

Hi, this is what I'll do.

Already have a TV with HDR. I needed two monitors with one having a big screen (32 was perfect). The white back of the monitors sealed the deal.

Not having 1000 nits is not a big concern since I sit closely in front of the monitor. And can live with the Windows/HDR ordeal. If only I could have a fix for the changing brightness problem. LG's support is playing hide and seek.

Good day Sir! Apologies for reviving an old post! I recently just joined the forums as I also have the same monitor as you and have been encountering the same bizarre brightness adjustments! It only does it when its in the HDR mode, if its in custom mode or reader mode for example there’s no issue.

I’ve already returned it to the retailers twice, the first time the replaced it and the second one did the exact same thing, upon the second return they sent it back they told me that if you adjust the brightness in custom to 99 (basically any value that isn’t 100) it should stop the auto adjustments.

For around 3 days this was working and now suddenly is doing the same thing! I really don’t want to send it back a third time, but as I’m sure you're aware this is extremely frustrating no one wants to spend this kind of money on a screen to have it then adjust brightness whenever it wants.

Did you find a workaround/fix or did you return it?

Thanks