Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Considering I still run with an AMD Radeon HD 7700 and an i7 870, I'm not too hopeful... Will it tank my fps further? If that's the case, then I'll have to stop playing until I can upgrade, because I now lose 10 or so fps whenever in combat, and dip down to 25-15 fps in raids... on the absolute lowest settings... <.<

Sounds promising if it does help higher end performance though, gonna get myself a latest generation i5 and a 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    It's only taken them 10 years. Thank god, if there is one.
    Meanwhile you have other companies struggling to just make a 64bit client

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Considering I still run with an AMD Radeon HD 7700 and an i7 870, I'm not too hopeful... Will it tank my fps further? If that's the case, then I'll have to stop playing until I can upgrade, because I now lose 10 or so fps whenever in combat, and dip down to 25-15 fps in raids... on the absolute lowest settings... <.<

Sounds promising if it does help higher end performance though, gonna get myself a latest generation i5 and a 1070.
    You're not gonna feel a thing because you're not running DirectX12

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    Meanwhile you have other companies struggling to just make a 64bit client

- - - Updated - - -

You're not gonna feel a thing because you're not running DirectX12
    So I can at least not fret having worse performance? That's a positive then.
    And as long as I can keep perhaps 60 fps at X (not highest but perhaps not lowest?) settings in raids once I upgrade my computer, I'll be a happy camper.

hopefully this will let me keep my 4670k for another xpack or two.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    I have to have my CPU OC'ed to 4400 just to maintain 60FPS in Boralus at 1440p. This engine sucks balls.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is their own fault no?

How is it that this game has been going on 14 years and has made billions of dollars and they've refused(until now?) to do improvements like this.

Why are we even still running on the shoddy war3 engine? With terrible spaghetti code.

These devs keep claiming they have ideas for heaps of more expansions and they don't forsee WoW dying anytime soon. At what point do you update the fucking engine?

20 year anniversary? It's kind of a joke.
    They left it so long to do anything, it must make it much harder to try to improve its multi core use.

5 years ago they should have parallel/shadow development of engine v2.

Deleted
    I tried the config.wtf modifications today. 3 lines are removed from the file automatically after logging in with a character, the other 2 have no measurable effects.
    Or I should say no effects at least on this machine. DX12, i5 6600 + gtx1070, 1440p, Boralus average was 62 fps on preset 7 near water (and up to 80 near the inn, water detail is still a killer).

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw gains, but not as much as wowhead did. I didn't do anything very intensive, as I actually ran the test while VNC'd into my home PC. Based on the test setup, take the results with a grain of salt.

My PC:
    i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz
    GTX 1070 @ 2050MHz core, 8800MHz vRAM
    32GB 3200MHz DDR4

My test scenario was extremely simple: Staring out into the Boralus harbor, while standing in front of the inn. This is typically where I see the lowest frame rate in Boralus.

Game Settings:
    1080p
    Graphics Settings 10
    2xMSAA with MFAA enabled in the Nvidia driver
    Clean PTR install with no addons

Results:
    DX12 without MT options: 55 fps
    DX12 with MT options: 64 fps
    Gain: ~16.4%

I'll be interested to see what the gains look like when the game is under stress.

Ditto mine is starting to struggle in a few areas

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Seems pretty similar with what I experienced in Suramar. The thing is, using Dx11 will already boost you half of those gains, so maybe you'd get a 59-60 fps with it. When you compare Dx12 MT with Dx11, the gains are even less impressing.
    My frame rate between DX11 and DX12 on live are almost identical. I'll grab a baseline check of DX11 after raid tonight.

Edit: Ran the tests on DX11 and DX12. DX12 pretty much matched earlier results, but DX11 was surprising. I'd left the MT options enabled in the config and set it to DX11. I actually had lower frame rate on DX11 if those options were on. Anyway, here's the numbers...

DX11 no MT Options - 50 fps (baseline)
    DX11 w/ MT Options - 47 fps (-6%, but not a config that should be used)
    DX12 no MT Options - 54 fps (+8% from baseline)
    DX12 w/ MT Options - 64 fps (+18.5% over DX12 no MT Options, +28% from baseline)
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2018-10-12 at 05:26 AM.

Imagine being on Windows 7 now, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerful bloke View Post
    Imagine being on Windows 7 now, lol.
    At least we don't have our files deleted by update

OT: Most of you do not include your cpu. Would love to see comparison of the MT and not MT on some ryzen if anyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    At least we don't have our files deleted by update

OT: Most of you do not include your cpu. Would love to see comparison of the MT and not MT on some ryzen if anyone has one.
    Haven't had mine deleted either, and I'm rocking Windows 10. Oh well.

Todays build (28151) added 2 new cvars controlling multi threaded rendering
    gxMTAlphaM2 - Render transparent M2 pass in parallel. Not supported on DX11
    gxMTOpaqueWMO - Render opaque WMO in parallel. Not supported on DX11
    Last one is hidden for some reason, probably not implemented yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    Todays build (28151) added 2 new cvars controlling multi threaded rendering

Last one is hidden for some reason, probably not implemented yet.
    Would love to test this but rivaturner keeps bugging out my game and its a pain in the arse to use.
    If anyone knows of another tool that can track fps between two points in time that does not cost money I would be delighted.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted
    Laptop-world-wise, given the upcoming optimizations, am I likely to see a huge improvement using a 8750H opposed to 8300H (both paired with a desktop 6GB 1060)? Trying to see if the upgrade is worth ~250 USD. Been told that WoW is CPU-intensive and this is why I gave up on 7700HQ, and decided to go for at least an 8300H but not sure if 8750H is ultimately better.

8300H is 4/8, 2.3-4 GHz. 8750H is 6/12, 2.2-4.1 GHz.

As I understand, currently WoW uses 1 core intensively and then the second one not so much. With the update it will be changed to more like 2 and 4 respectively. This brings the question - are extra 2 cores worth the money, WoW-based only? GHz wise, the latter is only 0.1 GHz more powerful turbo-wise (but even then in laptop this is likely to be mitigated by thermal throttling; finally, the base clock is also 0.1 lower, so I am not sure if this will mean a more "cooler" CPU, likely to be balanced out by a higher turbo mentioned priory).

I would honestly just take real fullscreen back for crossfire and SLI
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!