Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Hungary bans gender studies!

Source

Hungary's far-right Prime Minister bans gender studies at university because it is 'an ideology not a science'

A prestigious Hungarian university on Tuesday blasted a government decree that prohibits gender studies courses as a 'major infringement' on academic freedom.

The decree, signed by Prime Minister Viktor Orban and in force since Saturday, dropped the subject from a list of masters degree programs entitled to official accreditation and financial support.

Institutions are also now barred from launching new courses in the discipline, although students who have already begun courses may complete their studies, according to the decree.

'This is a major infringement on academic freedom and university autonomy,' said the Budapest-based Central European University (CEU) in a statement.

'Eliminating this programme will be a significant loss to the Hungarian scholarly community and for democratically-minded public policy,' said the CEU, one of only two universities in Hungary that offered gender studies degrees.

The decree is seen by critics as the latest attack by Orban's right-wing government on both university independence and political opponents of its socially conservative policies.

Orban's tough rhetoric and anti-immigration measures alarm critics but have bolstered his populist support at home and won him praise from other hardline European leaders.

In June a magazine owned by a close ally of Orban published a list of researchers at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, accusing them of working on 'gay rights and gender science'.

Orban's deputy Zsolt Semjen said later gender studies 'has no business (being taught) in universities,' because it is 'an ideology not a science'.

Labour market demand for gender studies graduates was also 'close to zero,' as 'no-one wants to employ a gender-ologist,' Semjen said.

The CEU, where gender studies has been taught for over two decades, is also embroiled in a bitter administrative dispute that the university says could drive it out of the Hungarian capital, its home since 1993.

A higher education law placing tough new requirements on foreign universities which passed last year was also seen by critics as targeting the CEU, founded by liberal US billionaire George Soros.

Attracting students from over 100 countries and also offering US-accredited programmes, the university has long been seen by Orban as a hostile bastion of liberalism.
    I'm glad to see tax payers money is not wasted on this neo-Marxist garbage. I'm just waiting EU attack and Orban's middle finger.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2018-10-18 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Infracted for forbidden topics

What happened Freedom of Speech for all you Right Wingers? Sad.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Why the hell do so many right-wing panties get bunched up over less than half of a percent of college degrees?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Everything is a social construct, if you enroll enough gender study students, invest enough money, borrow enough student loan from corporations. We can destroy those social contruct. Men, women, fat people, slim people, old people, young people, black, asian, indian, would be exactly the same, except white men, maybe also the white men enabler like asian men and cis white women, like SEN. WARREN.

Seriously, Math, engineering, phsyics, medicines, these are the worthless studies that should be banned. Those are outdated concepts of "science" manipulated by the WHITE patriarchy to chain us down. REMOVE those and replace them by social science, so we could all be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Why the hell do so many right-wing panties get bunched up over less than half of a percent of college degrees?
    They aren't allowed to blame the Jews anymore without looking like crackpots (and blaming Muslims just gets them branded racists), so they need another insignificant minority to blame everything on.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2018-10-18 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

Oh wow, they stopped a whole like 12 people from studying gender. What a win! Clearly news worthy.

Is this a total ban on all institutions or just publicly funded ones? Hard to tell when it was just two lol
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Is this a total ban on all institutions or just publicly funded ones? Hard to tell when it was just two lol
    Just public ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MS-20 View Post
    I'm glad to see tax payers money is not wasted on this neo-Marxist garbage. I'm just waiting EU attack and Orban's middle finger.
    How much money did Hungary spend on gender studies in the past? I personally think money going into science and education should be purpose-agnostic since public universities themselves are pretty much constantly under budget constraints. As far as I know a lot of gender studies related courses are basically interdisciplinary. You might object their purpose alright but if they were consistent they'd have banned theology as well. So it seems pretty much ideologically targeted.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Have to admit it is odd to see a government doing a direct removal of studies in universities, but then again it is Orban I frankly don't expect much else.

This deserves a thread.....why? This matters about as much as I do.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Thank God for Orban. Actual democratic leader, who has a constitutional majority in the Parliament. What he did for Hungary, the rest of the world leaders can only aspire to do for their own countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Because it's a waste good taxpayer's money.
    Last edited by Astalnar; 2018-10-18 at 09:36 AM.

Never could see why you would want to be £50k+ in debt for a gender studies degree. Why not do biology instead and actually get a qualification that could do some good.

Deleted
    Just public ones.
    Why is CEU concerned then?. That one is private.
    What's ELTE think about all this?.

Just public ones.
    Then, yeah, I can support it; I agree tax payer money shouldn't be spent on these kinds of courses.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    Because it's a waste good taxpayer's money.
    Not that I disagree, but if that is the line thinking I fear there is a lot of studies that'd need to be purged because they rarely lead to gainful employment in the field. And that's not even exclusive to university, business and craftsman educations have some of the worst numbers on employment in their respective fields.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    Never could see why you would want to be £50k+ in debt for a gender studies degree. Why not do biology instead and actually get a qualification that could do some good.
    You dont accumulate debts in the ten thousands when studying in Europe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    You dont accumulate debts in the ten thousands when studying in Europe though.
    No idea about Europe but its certainly expensive in the UK. Which technically is still part of Europe, for now

Quote Originally Posted by Howeller View Post
    Not that I disagree, but if that is the line thinking I fear there is a lot of studies that'd need to be purged because they rarely lead to gainful employment in the field. And that's not even exclusive to university, business and craftsman educations have some of the worst numbers on employment in their respective fields.
    And I'd happily agree. It would make sense for a country to finance the university programs according to their needs. If that means more money goes to hard sciences and less into feminist dance therapy, so much the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    No idea about Europe but its certainly expensive in the UK. Which technically is still part of Europe, for now
    But I'm also studying in the UK at an UK university and it costs me less than £10k.

It's close though. ;_;
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2018-10-18 at 10:03 AM.