Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    And I'd happily agree. It would make sense for a country to finance the university programs according to their needs. If that means more money goes to hard sciences and less into feminist dance therapy, so much the better.
    I think in pure numbers that would be hard science, by quite a mile that would be cut to the bone. They unfortunately don't have particularly good numbers, but it does mean that there is a competitive labour market, which shouldn't be underestimated as to their effect on the progress of science.

Deleted
    I don't think governments should be censoring academic research, that's clearly wrong

But since gender studies are as academic as astrology and palm-reading, governments definitely should not be paying for people to study that nonsense

Thank God for Orban. Actual democratic leader, who has a constitutional majority in the Parliament. What he did for Hungary, the rest of the world leaders can only aspire to do for their own countries.
    Good joke. I chuckled.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just checked the numbers of my government. The current funding is 10m € from 2017 to 2021 for 14 gender- and equality-related projects. That's about 3 ¢ per capita per year. I need those 3 ¢.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    But I'm also studying in the UK at an UK university and it costs me less than £10k.

It's close though. ;_;
    That's 10k per year though right?

So what 20-30k for most courses that are 2-3 years long, or up to £35k/year for a medical degree. Obviously those are worthwhile degrees, but is spending £10k on a 1 year gender studies course actually going to help you find a job?

Not that going to uni now actually guarantees a job anyway. It's not as prestigious now as it once was.

Thank God for Orban. Actual democratic leader, who has a constitutional majority in the Parliament. What he did for Hungary, the rest of the world leaders can only aspire to do for their own countries.

Because it's a waste good taxpayer's money.
    i cant remember a single time i was excited about how tax money was used...

So, it looks like the right is still pushing for ignorance and hatred of freedom of speech... no surprise there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    That's 10k per year though right?

So what 20-30k for most courses that are 2-3 years long, or up to £35k/year for a medical degree. Obviously those are worthwhile degrees, but is spending £10k on a 1 year gender studies course actually going to help you find a job?

Not that going to uni now actually guarantees a job anyway. It's not as prestigious now as it once was.
    No, it's in total. But it's part-time distance learning, and only 2 years for Master.

But aaaanyway, in other places in Europe university isnt that expensive. In Germany, I paid like 300€/semester at best.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Aye, no doubt Orban's middle finger will be on display, but he'll still take the 4.55 billion euro the EU give him every year. I have no idea why the eu puts up with such a leeching tinpot country.
    To be fair, this move is the first one that actually makes sense. I don't think the EU will even bat an eyelid over this nonissue.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh wow, they stopped a whole like 12 people from studying gender. What a win! Clearly news worthy.
    Agreed it's a waste of a degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Honest question, what the fuck do you even study in gender studies?
    I have no idea myself, but coming from the field of history, I could imagine, uh... gender roles in the past and current times? Gender constructs in general? Hell, I read about some native american pacific tribes that had like a third gender in their society. Obviously, that got rooted out by the all-so-holy christian missionaries, so maybe that occured also in other places/cultures all over the world, but was brought to the "norm" of the christian worldview. (Gods, I hate abrahamic religions in particular.) But I am digressing...
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2018-10-18 at 11:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are people who shit on gender studies courses even aware of what they entail? Or is this just one of those red herrings everyone loves to shit on, but has no clue what it even is?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I have no idea myself, but coming from the field of history, I could imagine, uh... gender roles in the past and current times? Gender constructs in general? Hell, I read about some native american pacific tribes that had like a third gender in their society. Obviously, that got rooted out by the all-so-holy christian missionaries, so maybe that occured also in other places/cultures all over the world, but was brought to the "norm" of the christian worldview. (Gods, I hate monotheistic religions, and abrahamic ones in particular.) But I am digressing...
    I thought it was which of the thousands of pronouns to use not to offend someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Are people who shit on gender studies courses even aware of what they entail? Or is this just one of those red herrings everyone loves to shit on, but has no clue what it even is?
    Are you aware of what they entail? Are we even allowed to discuss gender on these boards?

Free speech
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So basically it's nothing that can't be covered with the fields of history, psychology or civics?
    Well, as I said, I dont know. That's only what I think it could entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    I mean, it's not a big secret. It's kind of in the name. Normally, it would probably be a semester in psychology class. At tops a semester in medicine. But other than that, yeah... please, don't overanalyse. It's not that magical. And it's certainly not needed for society.

Question for you, what exactly are you supposed to do with that degree later? What's the actual field of works? Game rules, you're not allowed to just invent the Gender Inspector job that runs through the city or office and makes sure everyone knows what their gender is.

- - - Updated - - -

(Gods, I hate monotheistic religions, and abrahamic ones in particular.)
    How many other monotheistic religions that aren't abrahamic do you know? I'm not saying this to discuss religion, I'm discrediting you, is all.

(Hint: I know one, but I'm fairly certain you'll have to use Google for it :P)
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I mean, it's not a big secret. It's kind of in the name. Normally, it would probably be a semester in psychology class. At tops a semester in medicine. But other than that, yeah... please, don't overanalyse. It's not that magical. And it's certainly not needed for society.

Question for you, what exactly are you supposed to do with that degree later? What's the actual field of works? Game rules, you're not allowed to just invent the Gender Inspector job that runs through the city or office and makes sure everyone knows what their gender is.
    Mhrm, in the human resources departments of business maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    No but you could make a job that makes sure no one uses the wrong pronoun when referring to someone and if anyone opposes using tax dollars to pay you then they are obviously a bigot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Are you aware of what they entail? Are we even allowed to discuss gender on these boards?
    Yes. And it doesn't even include talking about how women are superior to men and all that other crazy stuff reich wingers says is in it. I'm just wondering if anyone who's shitting on it know what it entails?

It's not exactly a high-demand job field, but then again, as pointed out, all of like 12 people a year get gender studies degrees, so the supply/demand match up.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"